Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #51
mamaspice
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetgrace
Ok Ladies, I know you can help me I am needing a couple of gluten free recipes as my MIL is going to be staying with us this weekend and she is gluten free. I need 2 dinners, 1 lunch and 2 breakfasts. Do you have any no fail, super yummy recipes for the dinners and some ideas for lunch and breakfast? I asked here because I also need them to follow the TF/NT methods for our family Thank you!
Let's see, my old standby's are:

Breakfast: GF oatmeal (can buy specially), or pancakes made with gf flour ( you could soak). Many egg dishes are also gluten free as are hashbrowns. If you buy sausage, check the label carefully for gluten (as well as other crap.)

Lunch: Mexican bowls- basically a big burrito over rice, brown rice pasta salad (not quite wap), any leftovers from the day before, lettuce wrapped turkey blts with veggies

Dinner: stir fry with rice and gluten free tamari (reg soy sauce has gluten), bunless burgers with oven fries, brown rice spaghetti, fajitas, baked potatoes and chili, stew (no flour), roasted chicken with potatoes and veggies. Just watch out for hidden gluten, esp in seasonings.

Advertisement

mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #52
catilina
Registered Users
seller

Re: WAP, Nourishing Traditions, GAPS Support thread, February 2012

There are tons of options for making gluten-free meals, and you can make them as elaborate or simple as you want. This is what i would make for those meals:

breakfast: eggs scrambled with veg (onions, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, whatever) and maybe cheese, or you can fry the eggs and serve them over the veg (and avocado); fresh fruit and/or yogurt

breakfast: tapioca (http://10minutemeal.com/recipes/fruit/coconut-tapioca/) or chia seed pudding (http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitch...ding-for-kids/ - use coconut milk instead of the soy milk and use less liquid than the recipe calls for). Instead of adding sweetener to either of those, use bananas + other fruit to sweeten them (my fave is bananas and raspberries, but strawberries, peaches, kiwi, persimmons, even clementines are good as well with the bananas!). You'll need to make these the night before (minus adding the fruit), but they are best served cold anyway so you can just wake up and add the fruit in the morning.

lunch: Tom Kha Gai (http://www.foodrenegade.com/tom-kha-...-coconut-soup/) or some other soup. Quick and easy!

dinner: salmon, sweet potatoes, salad, asparagus (or other green)

dinner: General Tso's chicken (http://kitchensimplicity.com/healthi...-tsos-chicken/) with rice. Make sure you use San-J Tamari or some other gluten-free soy sauce if you make this recipe! Steamed carrots with sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds or stir-fried veggies.

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #53
sweetgrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you very much for the ideas and links ladies! That was a lot less frustrating than I thought it was going to be I'm trying out the general tso's tonight and then the soup for tomorrow's lunch. I've been working on soaking beans and rice for tomorrows dinner (chili) w/ cornbread. Thanks again!
Old 02-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #54
Hannah Elise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Well.. ees official. Non-celiac gluten intolerance.

So, whilst my Wee Goon was napping, I started purging the pantry. It needed to be done anyway, as the top of the cabinet had become a danger zone.. I can't really reach it, so every time I saved a plastic food container, or washed tupperware, it got chucked up there, and when you opened the door you prayed nothing rained down upon you.

Anyway... I have a couple of plastic food storage containers I had purchased at Bed Bath & Beyond, that I used to keep my bread flour and whole wheat flour airtight.

I don't want to pitch the containers because I really like them, but I'm afraid of cross-contamination. Is there anything special I need to do other than washing thoroughly with soap and water, to make sure I've gotten any last speck of gluten out of them?

Sent from my Samsung Intercept using DS Forum
ISO: interlock, M/XL GMD workhorse IHA: Fleece soakers, wool shorties, prefolds
Hannah Elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #55
mamaspice
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah Elise
Well.. ees official. Non-celiac gluten intolerance.

So, whilst my Wee Goon was napping, I started purging the pantry. It needed to be done anyway, as the top of the cabinet had become a danger zone.. I can't really reach it, so every time I saved a plastic food container, or washed tupperware, it got chucked up there, and when you opened the door you prayed nothing rained down upon you.

Anyway... I have a couple of plastic food storage containers I had purchased at Bed Bath & Beyond, that I used to keep my bread flour and whole wheat flour airtight.

I don't want to pitch the containers because I really like them, but I'm afraid of cross-contamination. Is there anything special I need to do other than washing thoroughly with soap and water, to make sure I've gotten any last speck of gluten out of them?

Sent from my Samsung Intercept using DS Forum
That would be enough for me, but I can handle "trace" amounts.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #56
Shalom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For those of you that sprout your beans, how do you deal with the texture of the sprouts/tails ? They kind of gross me out. But then again, I may have waited a little too long to use/freeze them because the kids were sick and I couldn't get to them right away when I first saw they had a little tiny tail. Let me know. Thanks!

The hurt a troubled child creates is never greater than the hurt they feel inside. -T.
Shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #57
Ferrum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow, great links on the first post.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #58
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

ok i know that this is an old thread but its the most recent i could find. my dh was just diagnosed with ibs and i was reading on the winston a price website that using these principals might help with that and came here because i remembered reading this thread a long time ago and was wondering why there hasnt been a new thread in so long lol. im going to order the nourishing traditions cook book in the next few weeks.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:10 AM   #59
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think interest sort of died out. Feel free to start a new thread if you would like. I am still trying to eat this way, sometimes it is hard and sometimes I am lazy but I do try.

I hope your DH feels better soon!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #60
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd be interested at least part time. I just bought the cook book and am a bit overwhelmed.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote