Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: How to make a thrifty Christmas fun/ older kids?

My kids are 10 and 7. I try to make the decorating, baking, wrapping and even some shopping fun events for them. That gets me a bit of holiday help and makes fun memories too. Not sure what method we're doing with the gifts. I went a bit over board last year since it was my first year back to work. Now I have to dig myself out of that hole. lol

We also fill the season with lots of church events to keep the kids eyes on the reason for the season.

I am a WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor!!

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:26 AM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by Hitchkids View Post
Are you talking for your 9 and 6 year-olds? Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much. Buy what you can afford and feel comfortable with. Do your best to focus on making sure each child has one thing they really would like. Then put more emphasis on family time together and don't stress so much about it. Growing up I always had friends who got way more than me, others who got way less. What I do remember, however, is how stressed out my parents were because they were trying to maintain an image of extravagant spending for the holidays even after they could no longer afford it. They were unable to move beyond the idea of stuff and switch to the idea of family time instead. So, sure, we still got the mountains of junk but also go stressed out, irritated parents. Don't do that to your kids. Give them what you are able to give and focus instead on family time and see what happens. Happy relaxed parents and happy memories are worth way more than a pile of stuff that is often quickly forgotten or lost or broken or not quite appreciated. I know most of us always knew when my parents could not afford to buy everything they did but choose to do so anyway to maintain an imagine and frankly felt incredibly guilty about it. I think most children are way more in tune to their family's financial status than we as parents like to give them credit for. So I guess my advice is don't stress. Do what you can and enjoy your time as a family.
I can definitely relate to this. I have very vivid memories of consciously trying to be as excited as possibly christmas morning because I knew my mom was worried we weren't getting enough and that we'd be disappointed even though they really couldn't afford what was there as is. II think it would have been so much better had she let go of some of that guilt and focused on special time with us vs worrying about presents... if that makes sense.

I like the operation christmas child idea and also thought something like this:
but for christmas, so maybe 25 acts? Hmm... putting that on my list actually

I really believe if you focus on time together and traditions the gifts won't be so big a deal.
Wife to my best friend; Mama to Beetle 3/12/09, Tiny 7/22/11, and Nugget 4/5/13
CDing, BWing, BFing, ERFing, Non-Vaxing, Co-Sleeping, Crunchy, Thrifty, SAHM!
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

Where scaling back on christmas too, but i think i have it easier since my two are 4 and 2. Thanks to your post I have some great ideas to help with the transition.
Anna0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

Can family all go in on one gift? DS1 wanted a Kindle last year so I asked all the grandparents and other relatives to pitch in a little. We each spent about $20 and he got a really nice gift.
Amanda hopelessly in love with my US Marine and three little men 12, 7.5 and 4 years<--what! When did that happen?
*KaiMom* is offline   Reply With Quote