Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #41
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Extreme Cheapskates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads View Post
That is my husband's allowance from his paycheck (but I don't have money in the bank hidden either).
DH gets an "allowance" of $15 per week.

Advertisement

acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #42
Arizonah13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only saw the episodes with the Asian lady, PHD guy, and the internet date guy.... I have no problem being economical, but there is a HUGE difference with being smart with money and frugal versus being a skinflint. These people went to extremes that were bordering on unethical (saving tags on shirts, paying for 3 buffet plates for 6 people).

Seeing the Asian lady (who was a CPA so probably made half way decent money especially since her apartment was paid off) wash her dingy, grungy clothes in the shower while she bathed..... or the internet dating dude only flush his toilet once a week.... I could understand this more if they were legitimately POOR, but these people just want to hoard their money. Too bad they can't take it with them when they die.
Carolyn - Lucky wife to my sweetheart and even luckier mama to my sweet, long-awaited baby girls! (May 2011, my 9.15 lb c/s baby and November 2012, my little 7.10 lb vbac peanut). I'll never forget my three angels.
Arizonah13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #43
myk
Registered Users

My Mood:

yeah, i draw the line when it comes to ethics and sanitary stuff. dumpster food, not cool. if you want to do that yourself, whatever, but DO NOT feed it to unsuspecting guests! same with expired food, both of which can be unsafe to eat. do NOT return used clothing. if you're at a buffet, pay for ALL the people who are eating.

saving a huge bag of change for a special occasion makes sense.. but take it to the bank and get bills before you use it out of courtesy. it doesn't cost money to exchange it at the bank. and hiding that much money from your spouse isn't right. it's one thing if she just doesn't ask, but he should share the info when asked. and if you have more than $150k hidden away, buy a couch.
myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #44
mamarudy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i didn't see the full episode, but i think no matter how dire things got, i don't think i could dumpster dive for food. and i've had people argue with me about expiration dates, but i work in the healthcare field under very strict regulations, i could never eat or feed someone expired foods.
the family cloth thing actually didn't freak me out. i know DH would never ever do it but i thought it wasn't that crazy of an idea. what worries me would be the smell.
mamarudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #45
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OK here's the thing about the Phd guy with all the money in the bank and no furniture. Um, I've never paid for furniture and my house is fully furnished. If you're too cheap to buy one there is always someone getting rid of one. lol I've had whole living room sets or dining room sets given to me when someone got new. Someday when the kids are grown and the dog is gone . . . we'll buy new. Maybe. lol

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #46
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho View Post
OK here's the thing about the Phd guy with all the money in the bank and no furniture. Um, I've never paid for furniture and my house is fully furnished. If you're too cheap to buy one there is always someone getting rid of one. lol I've had whole living room sets or dining room sets given to me when someone got new. Someday when the kids are grown and the dog is gone . . . we'll buy new. Maybe. lol
That's what I couldn't understand too. There is ALWAYS someone on Freecycle or Craigslist looking to get rid of furniture.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #47
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads

That's what I couldn't understand too. There is ALWAYS someone on Freecycle or Craigslist looking to get rid of furniture.
Yeah. Fake imo for the cameras.