Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Please help me with my son..

First, all kids are different. The best advice is to learn what's normal for your child & ignore most others.

I have 2 kids. One was a huge baby, always like 6 mos ahead of his clothing size as a kid, etc. Docs saying I'm feeding him too much etc. He's in elementary school now & is just a tall kid. Not overweight at all.

My youngest was normal size but tall. He has phases where he inhales food & others where he barely eats a thing & I wonder, "Is he getting enough?" He's in school now & just tall & thin but healthy. Docs always telling me to feed him more, give him supplement drinks, etc.

We do happen to see a naturopath & found out he has allergies (gluten is one). Once the diet changed, he grew a bit more (including taller). Coincidence? Who knows, but thought I'd mention it. Could easily be a growth spurt.

GL

Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #22
ingodslove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been exploring the crazy world of food sensitivites and allergies since Jan after having chronic sinus infections for a year...and we just got my DS1's test back with his results last week. I can't just blindly make all these changes to our diets without doing some heavy questioning about why we're reacting like this to food in the first place. I've read some library books (and blogs, lol) and it seems like a concensus has been to do everything you can to help the gut heal better...

probiotics- check for gluten and other allergens- I know they are expensive but across the board from the most liberal naturopath to the most conservative reg. dr...everyone is embracing these and I have noticed a difference. I just wanted to put that there so your little one can heal as fast as posssible
Old 10-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #23
ingodslove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow! that maria health blog is awesome! Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #24
hollybabies
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks again for the help mamas. I think that is where I am at this point, I need to heal his gut with these diet changes, then it seems like that should fix everything, from allergies, growth, and seeming to pick up every virus in our church nursery!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #25
mommytoreanne
Registered Users

My Mood:

I did not read it all but what about a blood test for alleriges?
mommytoreanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #26
chameleon607
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollybabies View Post
Just took him to a Naturopath and he is doing a stool test and the blood test (1000$) worth of testing but it should tell me what his gut looks like (yeast, parasites, bacteria, etc) and then the blood test is for like 200 allergens. Then, I should at least know something. He says he wants to start him on a no sugar, no gluten diet to heal his gut. We already to very low sugar, but no sugar will be hard, I do like to give a treat 1x a week which he really looks forward to. Gluten free will be new too, so, waiting to see what the outcome of all this will be. Thanks mamas for chiming in with suggestions

Just wanted to throw it out there- if you are thinking about making major changes at home, look up GAPS diet and see if that seems to be a direction you would want to check out. It's designed to heal the gut.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #27
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Anxious to hear the results.

Both of my boys have issues. William is a cpl months away from 4 and weighs 31 lbs with all cloths on. We seriously wonder about allergies.

Cayden has a whole host of health (mostly gi) issues. The kid refuses to gain weight. He just under 47 lbs, will be 8 in March.

It's very hard to find diets to help kids gain weight online. The best way seems to be fatening diets. Cayden has severe GERD so I can't go that route. Also extra real butter on everything. Can't do that. There are ways to make shakes packed with good calories, healthy fats, ect. Coconut cream, hemp milk, i-cream, fruite, add whatever you can come up with. Cayden can have pb, so we do double portions of that on sandwiches. Sneak in cal's where we can. Our main way to stay up to their weight is pediasures. I make oatmeal for breakfast and I do pediasure or coconut creamer in it. It adds cals and good fats. It's VERY stressfull when you have a child that has special dietary needs. You have to start from scratch learning to cook, buy, ect. I now cook from scratch just about everything.

Just try not to get too stressed. Once you get more answers and get the hang of thing, it comes more easily.

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #28
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am sorry you are going through this.

My 3yr old is 28lbs with no food allergies that I know of. Strange thing the boy can EAT!!!!

I hope you have answers soon
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #29
hollybabies
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just got some test results, we did this extremely expensive allergy test called the ALCAT, that tests for food intolerance, not necessarily food allergies, it said basically in a nutshell, no dairy, no gluten, no greenbeans, carrots, corn, peas, broccoli, avocado, and some other stuff. He also had another expensive stool test done, and they found blastocystis hominis (some kind of parasite) and they found extensive yeast growth and he was low on some beneficial bacterias in his gut. So, they put him on lots of supplements, and strong probiotics, and I am supposed to eliminate fruit and all starch from his diet to starve the yeast, etc, etc, basically an anticandida diet, as well as eliminating all the food intolerance foods, and so I am basically trying to figure out what to feed this kid that he would like, since he is already so skinny. So if anyone knows anything about these results or has a kid like this, please chime in
Old 10-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #30
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All I can really say is dd has a dairy intolerance (plus some food allergies). She was not able to tolerate any dairy at 1, but at 3 she could have yogurt, at 5 she can have baked in milk (pancakes, cake, waffles), tiny bit of baked in butter, small amounts of things like cheese its, gold fish. Still no butter (except above), cold milk or creamy sauces, uncooked or melted cheeses. So while he has to heal and that can take awhile sometimes an intolerance doesn't mean that he will never be able to have those things again. You may be able to add one or 2 back in or in some forms but not others. Every person is different so what works for one might not work for another. Good advice is hard to get because of that. Good Luck. We'd be in trouble with out your listed veggies- we eat at least 1 of those daily.