Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
Stressedmama30
Registered Users

Unhappy I NEED someone's help. Please!!!

My youngest son is a little over 8 month's. By about a week. He is not sleeping through the night, and does not really take good naps during the day sometimes. He HATES cereal no matter what kind it is. He does not like the texture. But he eats the stage 2 baby food jars. A whole one at a time at his breakfast lunch and dinner. But when he is really tired, no matter if it is naptime, or bedtime, he does not want to eat. All he wants are bottles. Sometimes before he goes to bed, he will drink anywhere from 2 to 3 bottles of 6 ounces before he falls alseep. He usually goes to bed around 8. Then he gets up around midnight to 1am. Most of the time he will not go back to bed for 2-3 hours. so he is sleeping again anywhere from 2:30 to 3:30am. Then he is awake again at 6:30am, which is normal awake time no matter how much he sleeps or when he goes to bed. This is getting really hard on me, and I need help. Please. My 8 year old always slept through the night, and took good naps. I never had this problem with him.

Advertisement

Stressedmama30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Re: I NEED someone's help. Please!!!

Just remember it is a phase and it will pass. He is still really little. My youngest won't touch baby food cereal but she loves regular plain oatmeal. Maybe try that? My guess is that the sleeping issue isn't because of hunger as much as it is just his current sleep pattern.

Your not a woman until people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams. Louis C.K.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

First
Second, it sounds like he needs to have his feeding and sleep schedule normalized. Regarding sleep, Id recommend the book healthy sleep habits happy child. It was a life saver for me. It has a lot of education about what we may be doing that actually perpetuates the problem, and how we can go about breaking the bad cycle. Also, it sounds like he needs his feeding regulated too. At that age, what I did was alternate milk with solids all day. For instance, Id offer 8 oz of milk when he woke, then baby food an hour or so afterward, then another bottle, then baby food etc ultimately ending with a bottle at night (not in the crib or while he was falling asleep-the book will talk about that and sleep associations). This way, he was never overly full or underfed which could all interfere with his fussiness and sleep. I imagine there will be a couple of really tough days adjusting to the new schedule, but hang in there! The benefits are worth it esp when he settles into the new sleep and feeding schedule.

Also, Id make sure his room was conducive to sleep (they say dark, quiet and cool). If his room is bright, some darkened or blackout curtains can help with improving the quality of naps. This helped my DS's naps a LOT!

Last edited by amb2j; 08-21-2012 at 06:49 AM.
amb2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
Stressedmama30
Registered Users

But he has not slept all the way through the night at all. Ever since he was born. Even if his belly is full. I think it may be a texture thing with the oatmeal. I do not not. I feel so stressed though not knowing what to do, like I said I did not go through this with my oldest when he was a baby.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #5
Stressedmama30
Registered Users

I have him on a scheduale, there is a certain time when I feed him his meals. Then about an hour before I put him to bed, I give him a bath with the J&J Bedtime Bath, then use the bedtime lotion all over his body. I have tried everything. And when he goes to sleep he needs a little noise, he does not fall asleep at all if it is totally quiet. The room is dark also and cool. I do everything at the same time everyday.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
ashley0314
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At 8 months, a baby should not be scheduled in my opinion. Their bodies are still learning how to function and what different things mean. I would try feeding him when he is giving you cues that he's hungry. It very easily could be he is over eating and causing tummy issues. Are you giving bottles any time of the day besides just bed time? It could also be that he is just not ready to sleep through the night. My son is over 16 months old and has never slept through the night. They eventually grow out of it. And unfortunately, it's a milestone they have to hit and not something that can be forced.
ashley0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
thoennes6
Registered Users
seller

Hugs. My 17 mo is finally sleeping through the night most nights. I second the Healthy sleep habits happy child book. We followed it pretty well except we do not cio. Good luck.
thoennes6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
mandabug2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How many naps is he taking/ what is his schedule?
mandabug2 is offline   Reply With Quote