Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
KLeeCW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Accidentally scalded DD's foot :'(

DH just put in a new hot water heater. He turned it up high to test it, then forgot to turn it back down and forgot to mention that it was up. I went to rinse 5 wk old DD in the sink after she peed on herself during a change and scalded her little foot. The water changed to hot so fast, I wasn't expecting it at all. It was really quick, maybe only a second in the water. She let out a howl and seems fine now. The skin doesn't look red. I just feel so terrible. DH got an earful from me too. He feels awful and was so apologetic. DD is likely fine, but nothing like mama guilt!

Advertisement

KLeeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Accidentally scalded DD's foot :'(

don't beat yourself up mama. Things happen. You didn't mean to do it and it doesn't sound like she's srsly injured.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Awww, try not to feel guilty! These things can happen to all of us. I'm glad your DD is okay :-)

I remember when one of mine was a small baby (can't remember which one) I was eating supper and breastfeeding at the same time. I dropped my fork and it landed, tines first, right next to her eye! She had 4 little bloody marks and you can still see the scar faintly. I still feel guilty whenever I think about that, yikes!

Mama guilt...there's nothing like it!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Airyl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Don't beat yourself up! Its so hard to see your little one in pain, even more so when you're the cause.

My oldest pulled a bowl of hot soup onto herself while on my lap when she was an infant. It was awful, she had blisters and everything. I have a bunch of other stories of me being an idiot if you need more to help you feel better. Accidents happen to the best of us!

I am a child of God.
Airyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
mommatomymiracle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Awww! I feel your pain. That would wrench my heart as well! I poked my little guy in or around his eye last night, while changing him into his pj's. I fel absolutely awful and I cried. He was over it a lot faster than I was!
(#1 natural hospital birth, Bradley Method; #2 home water birth)
Missing our m/c angel (6/08)
CDing, BFing, BWing, etc. Semi-Crunchy WAHM social media consultant
ISO Ju-Ju-Be, Petunia Pickle Bottom, etc. bags
mommatomymiracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
KLeeCW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies! You all made me feel much better. It's been a few hours and her skin is still fine. She doesn't react when I touch the area. So glad it didn't damage the skin.
KLeeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Aww! I think most of us have had something like that happen in the early days. Don't beat yourself up. I cut (at least what seemed to me like) a big chunk of DD's poor little fingertip off when trimming her nails. She was perfectly fine about 1 minute later, but it has been 17 months and still haunts me to this day
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Things like that happen, don't beat yourself up. It was an accident, neither you or you DH meant for it to happen. My mom accidentally poured boiling water on my shoulder when I was small (small enough that I can't remember it) and I have a 4" long raised scar from my shoulder down the front of my arm. I'm sure she felt terrible, but I healed and I'm fine. I'm glad your baby wasn't burned!

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.

Last edited by somo_chickenlady; 10-22-2012 at 07:22 PM.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote