View Poll Results: Do you "snoop" on your tween/teen?
always- it's necessary because I don't trust my child 1 4.00%
always- I want to make sure I can trust my child 9 36.00%
occasionally if I feel there is a need 13 52.00%
I would NEVER violate their privacy! 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #21
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I don't have any teenagers now, but I'm super nosy with my husband's cell (not out of lack of trust, but boredom and curiosity). So I'm pretty sure if I feel I need to snoop when the kids are older, I will.

Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #22
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Do you "snoop" on your tween/teen?

I didn't vote because their wasn't an option I agreed with. I have a 13 year old daughter. She doesn't text or make phone calls I don't know about. She isn't on facebook and doesn't have an email acc't. She doesn't have a phone so cannot do the first ones. The only computer she has is supervised. Our computer is off limits because it is in my bedroom. Other than that it is at school. I don't have to ask her many questions as she discusses her issues with me unasked. Whatever she writes she tends to demand I read so nothing to hide.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #23
4dramamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have a teen and I check his e-mail and texts more to protect him from others than himself. Even if I trusted him completely I would be protective of his digital life because there are some seriously crazy people out there.
Beth, Christian mama of 5 (expecting #6 Spring 2013).
Check out my blog Heart Stirred with Wisdom
4dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #24
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
This. DH is a police officer and I was till kids came along. If you wait until you have reason to look into things, it's usually too late. You missed the signs a problem was brewing. DS is young now, but will be informed we can check any device he has, his room, etc. it won't be done in secret, there will be open communication that checking up will occur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg2043 View Post
My oldest is 8 but I am high school administrator. I will SO be checking and encourage others to. Social media has taken sexual activity and bullying to a whole other level. Privacy? Forget it. My kids live in my house and I will intervene as I see fit. I think parents who are not checking at least occasionally are very naive to how bad it can get.

I also suggest checking all devices with cameras. I have seen some scandalous pics of the seemingly nicest kiddos - including photos of a young man and his very undressed "date" in a local hotel room.
I agree with both of these. As of right now I don't really have anything to be checking up on. Her bedroom is right off the living room. I check on my kids nightly so know they are in their beds. They don't have cell phones or regular computer access outside of school. So no issues their. They are with me almost every minute they are out of school. If they are not with me they are with their father or a trusted friend of mine.

As my kids get older and travel farther from me then I will be doing more checking up on them. My kids are already aware of this though.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #25
almostcrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by syfitz View Post
I check and my dd knows it. It isn't necessarily to make sure I can trust her, but it's more because I think social media can be dangerous and I like to know what is going on. I have hidden and blocked people from her Facebook page on a couple of occassions.
My dd has no issues with my snooping. It isn't done secretly. I don't check often, but it is understood that I can check at any time. Honestly, I think it creates an environment of accountability. She shouldn't be doing or saying anything she wouldn't want me to see or hear.
This exactly.

And I don't feel the least bit guilty about it. I see it as another way to keep my daughter safe.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #26
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I didn't vote because their wasn't an option I agreed with. I have a 13 year old daughter. She doesn't text or make phone calls I don't know about. She isn't on facebook and doesn't have an email acc't. She doesn't have a phone so cannot do the first ones. The only computer she has is supervised. Our computer is off limits because it is in my bedroom. Other than that it is at school. I don't have to ask her many questions as she discusses her issues with me unasked. Whatever she writes she tends to demand I read so nothing to hide.
Same here.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #27
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

You need an "other". I don't plan on doing it and haven't thus far, but then again, my eleven year does not have a cell phone, facebook, twitter, not even an email. But if I felt there was something going on and I wasn't getting answers, I might. When I was a kid I had a diary, and I was a very good kid. If I wasn't good, I was beat plain and simple. Heck I got beat anyways! Well, one day I looked in my diary and my mom wrote all kinds of comments in there, really mean and nasty ones. I felt very violated. And she wonders why we have a very distant relationship as adults? I would never stoop to that with my girls.