Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: poop training?

Here is what worked for our DD: We were having the same problem..she turned 2 in July, and we finally decided to take the bull by the horns and start potty training in September, instead of continuing to wait for her to indicate she was ready. She picked up on the peeing from day 1, and did wonderfully with it...but she wasn't pooping in the pot. We were wearing panties on her around the house, obviously, and she would just poop in her underwear, then come tell me (even before PTing, she would go hide behind the couch when she pooped, which is a sign that they're able to control and recognize when they have to go). I would stand her in the tub while I took her undies off so that the poop wouldn't hit the floor or anything, so then she would start asking to go "poop in the tub"! I would try to put her on the potty, and she would just get hysterical and sooo worked up...wasn't working. Finally, I just decided to take her panties totally off and let her run around without any bottoms on when I could tell she was heading behind the couch, or if her mannerisms indicated that she had to poop. She did NOT want to poop without something there to catch it, so she would dance around the potty anxiously, and hold it in as long as she could. When I could tell it was really last minute, I would gently guide her bottom onto the potty so the BM could land in there. Once it came out, she was SOOOO excited and proud...but it went like this for a few days, the anxiety was really her biggest issue. Gradually, she became more comfortable, and now she's fine, and will tell us if she has to go, we haven't had any poo accidents since. The other thing, and people have different opinions on this, but we did promise her that she could have 4 jelly beans (her favorite) when she pooped on the potty. When I started her pee PTing, I didn't offer any rewards, and she picked right up on it, but then my DH misunderstood, and thought the treats were for every time, not just pooping, and so DD was asking for a jellybean or gummy bear every time, but we only do once in a while now....good luck, mamas! My next feat is PTing for sleep times, too...I'm clueless!

Advertisement

dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #12
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I just think they do it when they are ready, and with a 2 year old the bigger deal it is the more likely it is to become a power struggle. I would suggest keeping it casual instead of seeming like you want it so bad
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
I just think they do it when they are ready, and with a 2 year old the bigger deal it is the more likely it is to become a power struggle. I would suggest keeping it casual instead of seeming like you want it so bad
Ooooh, the ugly power struggle. Try not to show anger about a poop accident. I had to warn DH about getting upset over potty accidents when we were first potty training and DD had numerous accidents. The kids catch on to your frustration and then they'll have potty accidents on purpose, just to get a rise out of you.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #14
TwinsMami
Registered Users

My Mood:

Power struggles, holding poop until you're not looking, hiding, I've been through all of that. My daughter went full time undies at 25 months, with very few issues, until her twin decided he wanted undies too 3 months later. He was also the kid who would wiggle and jump away from the toilet the minute I got him near it. I decided to focus my energy on her. One day he started snatching his sisters undies and I told him that if he wanted undies he had to use the potty, and he did. I wish that was the end of the story, but then my daughter totally regressed. She really liked being the only one in undies and it was very much a cry for attention and rebellion. What worked with her was constantly reassuring her that she was special and was a good example to her brother. I would tell her that we were proud of her for teaching her brother how to go potty.
When she has had times of frustration and wants to get into a power struggle she will have an accident. I admit to blowing my top sometimes, but eventually learned to just firmly tell her that this is not appropriate, take off her clothes, and hand her a prefold to clean it up. I will then help her clean it and she usually apologizes. You can't get into a power struggle over this. This is one of the few things that they can truly control, so you will lose every time.
As for my son, it took him a while to get it with the poop. I would get false hope because he would sometimes go and then revert to going in his undies. I could ask him 20 times if he had to poop, take him, sit him down, and the minute he got his pants up he would let it flow. What I finally started doing was going through the routine, and then not letting him out of the bathroom right away. With his pants back up I would start reading a book, or letting him play a game on my phone. Once he relaxed enough to start pooping I would rip his pants off and throw him on the potty. His undies would usually get dirty, but the poop would "plop" into the bowl for the most part. Once he realized that wasn't the end of the world he was more willing to cut to the chase and poop on the potty. If he went on a little potty, I would make a big deal about him getting to dump it into the toilet. I never imagined my twins would fight over who gets to dump. "My poopoo, my poopoo!"
Once you all get over these initial hurdles, just keep in mind that there can always be regressions. Don't take it as a sign of personal failure, or that your kid is slow, mean, careless, ect. There are so few things that they truly have any control over, mainly what goes in and what goes out. Most of the time, regressions are just their way of having control over something and expressing some frustration that they don't yet realize can be expressed some other ways. It can be misleading that they are usually pretty verbal at the point at which they are training. Just because they can talk doesn't mean they can really put their fears, emotions into words, for themselves, let alone for us.
So next time you feel yourself getting frustrated, stop and ask yourself why. Is it the mess, the fear that they will never, ever get it? Are you worried what other people will think? Once you address your own anxieties, you can start to see what will help your kids get through what must be a major, life-shifting process for them. I just think about how anxious I would feel if I was handed a pack of diapers to wear and told that this is how I would have to use the bathroom from now on. How long would that take getting used to?
TwinsMami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #15
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

An excellent post. Very well said.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #16
amehrkens
Registered Users
seller

I wanted to report that we are still at square one! No changes here, still pooping in our pants every s.i.n.g.l.e. day. I am about at my wits end with this. He has been pee potty trained for a year now and this pooping thing is getting ridicolous! I quit buying pull ups so now we are back to underwear, so every poop accident is a huge mess to clean up. I literally have tried everything under the sun with him with no luck. I know everyone says all kids are different and eventually he will get it and I know that too, but how can a kid be so smart about everything else but can't poop on the potty. UGH! I guess I just came back to vent a little....(can you tell we had a rough weekend).

How is eveyone else doing? Any progress? Any new ideas?
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fluff...26110884116529
amehrkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #17
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Joining you all because I'm about to go bonkers with the poop! Lately DD has been pooping in her nap/night diaper shortly after we put her in bed... So now her bum s completely raw and she cries when she pees. I have told her that her bum won't get better if she keeps pooping in her diaper, but she just doesn't get it!

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #18
listalees
Registered Users
seller

So glad to know I'm not alone in this.
I have been potty training my almost 4 year old DD for 2 years now. We still aren't successful with poop and pee accidents have also become frequent.
listalees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #19
listalees
Registered Users
seller

Excellent post Twinsmami
listalees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #20
Bubbasmom
Registered Users
seller

Here is how I potty trained my daughter to poop in the toilet. She was already peeing in the toilet for a few days, but no poop. I would tell my daughter that her doll says she (her doll) has to go poop in the potty and we had to hurry to the potty so she did not have an accident. Then I would sit the doll on the toilet and drop "poop" (cut up Tootsie roll pieces) behind the doll into the toilet. Then I would cheer.."Yea, dolly went poop poop in the potty. Good Job!". Then the doll would get a special poop sticker and choose a poop poop prize from a special grab bag. The prizes were small and from the dollar store. I told my daughter that if she went poop in the potty she would get a sticker and choose a prize too. I would then constantly watch her for signs that she had to go poop. I could usually tell if have to go when she started to run around the house and try to hide. Then I would say excitedly "Do you have to go poop poop? Let's see if you can try to get a poop poop prize. Hurry let's go to the potty". When she was on the potty, I would have a few special books for her look at only when she is on the potty. After, she poops, I would cheer, give her a sticker and prize. She has been fully potty trained for 4 months now and we do not use stickers and prizes any more. Hope this helps.
Bubbasmom is offline   Reply With Quote