Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: My 4 year old has a chronic cough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
The problem with this is most people aren't just allergic to dust mites, they are often allergic to at least one pollen as well- which means line drying is a big no-no. Washing and/or drying at 130 F will remove dust mites and all bedding should be washed weekly at that temp. Things that can't washed can be frozen for 24-48 hours.

Since it is happening overnight it probably is dust mites. If there is carpet in the room it needs to be vacuumed often- recommendation is like twice a week, but we do ours everyday because we have dogs that also bring in and contribute to dust mites and pollen. Also suppose to remove any soft stuff that is not needed- ie stuffed animals.
Wow! Didn't know that! Thanks!

Thankfully, we don't have severe enough allergies to have to do any of these things. to all the mamas that do!

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

That really sounds like asthma. Some people (like all my children & I) have what's called cough variant asthma where we never wheeze and only cough. It starts as a night cough, often during the change of seasons, change of temp outside or following an illness (say I get a bad cold, the cold will go away but the cough will linger for a few weeks after).

Some drs are clueless about this & insist that if you don't wheeze, you don't have asthma but that's not true. My lungs always sound fine but with out asthma meds, I will cough until I vomit.

I'd check in with an allergist and see what they think about this & mention the idea of cough variant asthma & what they think about that. Good luck!
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank You! I will look into finding an allergist!
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
BunnyMcFluff
Registered Users
seller

My thought was also asthma. Are you certain it's not cough variant asthma?

My son has asthma that often presents as a persistent cough (which responds only to a bronchodilator). The quote below outlines all my kiddo's triggers to a tee, basically.

He's ten times better on maintenance meds. It might be worth checking into for your guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssand23 View Post
That really sounds like asthma. Some people (like all my children & I) have what's called cough variant asthma where we never wheeze and only cough. It starts as a night cough, often during the change of seasons, change of temp outside or following an illness (say I get a bad cold, the cold will go away but the cough will linger for a few weeks after).

Some drs are clueless about this & insist that if you don't wheeze, you don't have asthma but that's not true. My lungs always sound fine but with out asthma meds, I will cough until I vomit.

I'd check in with an allergist and see what they think about this & mention the idea of cough variant asthma & what they think about that. Good luck!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #15
mom2ally06
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssand23

This. My dd was four with the same symptoms.