Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #81
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Re: HS Check-In, Part 2

Well, today was another pretty good day. Got everything done by 1:30 including a break for lunch. We are headed out to the library in a little while. The weather here (NE OH) is great right now too. DH said he heard in the 80's on Thursday, but then possible snow flurries by next Monday. Crazy! Hope it's going well with everyone else.

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #82
3boys_mom
Registered Users

I have no motivation this week either. But if we take the time off....I don't want to end up behind. We started early to buffer for the inevitable sick days. I don't want to just 'take off'. I'm torn. ILs leave for their vacation in the morning. DH think we should step back a bit with lessons, so WE can have a bit of a vacation as well. Must remember life skills! That counts....
Old 10-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #83
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boys_mom View Post
I have no motivation this week either. But if we take the time off....I don't want to end up behind. We started early to buffer for the inevitable sick days. I don't want to just 'take off'. I'm torn. ILs leave for their vacation in the morning. DH think we should step back a bit with lessons, so WE can have a bit of a vacation as well. Must remember life skills! That counts....
That was me the other day. So instead of taking the whole day off, the kids did about half of their work. The part that didn't really involve me. lol Except for the 5 yr old, who did nothing. We got such a late start, I hate the idea of taking time off, though I know we will at various times. For instance, next month for Thanksgiving. I don't know exactly how much time we're taking off, but we're going back up to Michigan for FIL's 70th birthday. It's a very long day driving, so probably Tuesday through Sunday or Monday, at least.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #84
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Today has started off as a workday for us. The kids are all helping out with the chicken coop building. We will have all the walls up and ready for the roof by the end of today. Hopefully we will get some academics done this afternoon. Have a good day ladies!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #85
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

How exciting, Corrie! We don't have chickens, but my in-laws do. Whenever we go visit the kids get the chore of taking care of them. Their rule is that starting at 6 you can collect eggs. My youngest is excited about being able to collect eggs next year on her own.

AFU, we were at Bible study this morning and are eating lunch now. We'll start schoolwork in a few minutes. I'm not sure if we're going to get through it all today. I realized last night that I forgot to do reading with my oldest. Oops!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #86
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We will be finishing up week 7 of MFWK today and then over the next week and a half we are going to do 2 different lapbooks. One of them is for the Halloween Magic Treehouse book and the other is for the Election.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #87
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok, so I have been MIA. I apologize! We have been working our tails off! Just found out my lo will be attending first grade in ps. boo. But I have to get a job at some point to help out around here. So Aug 2014 he will be going! I'm sad, but that still gives us lots of time together. We started Prek an entire year before PS was going to let him start (his birthday falls 23 days after the cut off for being 4). They told me not to be upset that they would have to test him before he could enter first grade since he was hs'ed for pre k and kindergarten. I looked up the requirements for beginning first grade and my lo has nothing to worry about. Evidently we homeschool folks teach more than ps ever thought of doing. lol. I sat and filed and filed his work yesterday (OK doesnt have strict laws for HS, but I like to keep stuff just in case they get a wild hair and want to check up on us.) We (dd and myself) decided we would have a 'no spend' week - haha- so we are recycling cans to go to dinner before church tonite. (Technically not spending?) I'm on my way out now to bag up the cans! I hope all you ladies had a fantastic day!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #88
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Hello, Miranda, from just up the road. I live in Jones. In fact, I was shopping in Norman last week. That's a cool idea about recycling cans to go to dinner.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #89
garness
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm going to post something, even though I haven't before.
I am so tired today that I can barely think, much less teach. It's 1:49 and I can't even get dressed. My kids are 7 and 4 and I am 32 weeks pregnant. I haven't had any energy this pregnancy and have lots of pain, so I just want to go to bed. Uggg.....
Old 10-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #90
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Welcome garness, and sorry your having such a crummy day. Or pregnancy. Maybe you can have the kids do a rest time and you can nap.

Sounds like most of the others are having a good day, so hooray!

Kristin, you'll have no luck getting me to move, lol. We just moved to a wonderful place in the country about 2 years ago. It's so pretty and peaceful, we're on 30 acres in a old farm house. It does sound like you have tons of HSing families though, which would be awesome! Also I like the ups and downs of the fall weather. There's something for everyone! And it kind of eases me into the winter. I hate it when it gets cold all the sudden and then just stays there.

Yesterday we learned about long Es, and it did not go well. Everyone was frustrated and no one wanted to focus...it was just kind of a pitiful day. We got through most of what we needed to though, and then I decided to make today a review day. It went great! We reviewed long A words, long E words, and lots of sight words and short vowel words, and then we played a game with index cards that I dubbed "sentence builders" and the kids thought that was awesome. All it boils down to is writing lots of words on index cards and having the kids arrange some into a sentence and then read it to you. It was great reading practice, and they really got a kick out of making and reading sentences like "You can lick my feet."

We also did a pattern block page and a drawing lesson, the kids really like the drawing book. I think I'm going to start part 3 of the homeschooling thread, this is getting pretty big again.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote