Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
ans7
Registered Users

Pumping during airplane travel

I'll be flying from PA to AZ with my husband and 6month (3months now) old baby for Christmas. Has anyone pumped while traveling by plane? Where do you pump in airports? Anyone ever have trouble traveling with breastmilk?

Advertisement

ans7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would not pump on a plane. Your flight is simply not long enough to warrant the hassle, IMO. Call the airports before traveling and ask for locations that would be used for pumping.

Does your child not nurse? Usually nursing during the flight is best. But if baby is only taking bottles, you bring milk with you.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
ans7
Registered Users

Re: Pumping during airplane travel

I should clarify, I'm exclusively pumping. I plan to work in a layover, so won't be pumping in flight.
ans7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Then I would call the airport once you know your layover location and gates and ask them. I can pump against a wall, with a blanket over me, just fine. But they won't please a lot of people or be comfortable for large breasted women.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
organicmama10
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Pumping during airplane travel

I've actually pumped on an airplane a few times during long travel to Europe and Asia. I've pumped in my seat with a cover and I've also done it in the bathroom. I did inform the flight attendant prior so they know not to bug you. I brought an ice pack (the Medela ice pack) and cooler bag for storage. Flight attendants may even offer to keep the pumped milk cool for you during the flight. Travel within the US is not a problem. I've traveled with my manual and electric pump and pumped milk without any issues (both frozen and non frozen). TSA will look at it and most of them are discreet (men TSA) when they see the pump and/or the milk and don't even ask you to open your stash. If you're going to Europe, that's a whole other experience....depending on where you're heading.
organicmama10 is offline   Reply With Quote