Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Scared I might wait too long to go to hospital!

All good advice...and remember, worst case scenario..you will just have the baby where you have it! Read up on emergency delivery procedures so you feel more confident about how to handle it if it happens.

Advertisement

And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I lived two blocks from the hospital last time and didn't make it until I was 9 cms. I had DD 45 minutes after getting to the hospital, so this is a huge concern of mine. I'm planning on DH & I taking a home birthing class, so we'll be prepared, just in case!

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
boekesec
Registered Users
Formerly E***n
seller

It would be great if you could have a backup to watch DD for you, either at home or at the hospital, while you wait for your mom to arrive. But if you don't mind bringing her with you, then I think you'll be fine! Hope it works out, though, that is stressful. I'm due any day now too and my mom is supposed to watch my 2yo dd, but Tuesday and Thursdays are really busy for her and I'm afraid I'll have a hard time getting ahold of her when I need her if it's one of those days. But we have a long back-up list, so I think it will work out. Good luck to you!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLEB View Post
I lived two blocks from the hospital last time and didn't make it until I was 9 cms. I had DD 45 minutes after getting to the hospital, so this is a huge concern of mine. I'm planning on DH & I taking a home birthing class, so we'll be prepared, just in case!
Wow, I don't blame you for being concerned!! Good idea about the class, I hope you don't need it, though! I know people say women have babies in different places all the time, but I personally have my heart set on the hospital, vs the sidewalk or in the car!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
It would be great if you could have a backup to watch DD for you, either at home or at the hospital, while you wait for your mom to arrive. But if you don't mind bringing her with you, then I think you'll be fine! Hope it works out, though, that is stressful. I'm due any day now too and my mom is supposed to watch my 2yo dd, but Tuesday and Thursdays are really busy for her and I'm afraid I'll have a hard time getting ahold of her when I need her if it's one of those days. But we have a long back-up list, so I think it will work out. Good luck to you!
It does get stressful, even if it isn't the end of the world. I know that at the end of the day, it will all work out, and having a healthy baby is the most imporant thing. Good luck to you, too...hope your mom is able to get there!
dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #15
gnail_19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had my mom come stay with me for what was going to be the last 3 weeks of my pregnancy. On the day I hit 38wks I was havin what I thought was Braxton-Hicks contractions. I realized they weren't stopping and times them. They were 4 min apart. When I went to the bathroom my water broke. After an hour drive to the hospital, I was 6cm dilated, and baby was born 3.5 hrs later. I also had a 2 year old which was why I had my mom staying with me. I had no idea I would go into labor at 38weeks, but I was prepared thank goodness.
gnail_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #16
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think that 3 hours is too long to wait, but I also agree with the others that just because your first was nearly painless, doesn't mean that this one will be. My first was quite fast (almost didn't make it to the hospital) and almost painless, but my second was VERY intense and much more painful, albeit faster. I wasn't really prepared for how much more I had to focus through the contractions. The only reason I even made it to the hospital with my first was because my doula told me over the phone that I should probably call the doctor. If I were you I would read up on emergency childbirth so that you are prepared if you don't make it.
My first birth was 5 hours and my second 2.5. We chose a homebirth because we didn't want to worry about getting to the hospital or being in labor in the car.