Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
7mom7
Registered Users

Work from Home Considering Working at Night

is that crazy? I do contract work from home and I'm considering working nights at a nearby hospital. Does anyone work at night and still manage to homeschool their kids without falling asleep. I'm thinking I could only handle 3 nights a week or so. Right now I feel like working from home is taking over because there is always something that needs to be done. Since home has become work I feel like there is never time for relaxing or home improvement because I should be working. Right now I space my work week out into 7 days a week for about 4 hours a day. I know sometimes the grass is greener on the other side but I feel like being able to go to a place of employment, do my work (without kids!), and go home without a never ending to do list might be pretty great.

Advertisement

7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Re: Work from Home Considering Working at Night

I am blessed to not have to work right now, but I have a friend who does it. She works four nights a week (M- TH) from 6-12 (I think). She has two boys aged 4 and 7, so she's only doing pre-K and 1st right now. I know her kids are early risers so she is often tired in the mornings. Also, since her husband works days they only see each other for short periods on the days she works. She has told me she would love to be ale to stay at home again and they are working toward that goal. But they find it manageable.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
7mom7
Registered Users

Thanks for the reply! Not working isn't an option, I'm not sure that it will ever be an option until we get our house paid off. We live pretty modestly and we purchased our house for a great price. I think it will be tough to work nights but working from home isn't really as easy as one might think.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

I work 2 nights a week, about 3 hours a night. Doesn't seem like much, but it's a physically demanding job. I'm a cleaner at a local college. I find it do-able but I am tired in the mornings. I'm going to have to answer your question by saying - it depends.
How many hours per night are you working?
Are you a night owl or morning person?
Are your kids night owls or morning people?

I am a night person, so staying up late isn't a problem. I don't enjoy getting up so early the next morning, but my son has to get on the bus by 8am (he's in public school). Even if my son was home schooled, I have 20 month old twins that are usually up by 7:30. So, I'd have to be up for them anyway.
The good thing, which is what makes it work, is that my daughter (whom I home school) is really flexible. So, we usually start school after lunch, when the babies go down for a nap and we work until big brother gets home. Sometimes I feel like we aren't doing anything, and I don't know any other home schoolers who start so late in the day, but it's what we can do.
I hope that helps.
jesajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

Edit - What I mean to say is that, I don't feel like anything is being accomplished in the mornings. I want to start teaching or cleaning or whatever, but it's hard when I'm tired to get moving. I can't imagine other home school moms liking this schedule, but isn't that the cool thing about home schooling? Working at the kids' pace in a schedule that works for the family?
jesajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
waldorf and ragamuffins
Registered Users

taking notes!
waldorf and ragamuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
7mom7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesajane View Post
I work 2 nights a week, about 3 hours a night. Doesn't seem like much, but it's a physically demanding job. I'm a cleaner at a local college. I find it do-able but I am tired in the mornings. I'm going to have to answer your question by saying - it depends.
How many hours per night are you working?
Are you a night owl or morning person?
Are your kids night owls or morning people?

I am a night person, so staying up late isn't a problem. I don't enjoy getting up so early the next morning, but my son has to get on the bus by 8am (he's in public school). Even if my son was home schooled, I have 20 month old twins that are usually up by 7:30. So, I'd have to be up for them anyway.
The good thing, which is what makes it work, is that my daughter (whom I home school) is really flexible. So, we usually start school after lunch, when the babies go down for a nap and we work until big brother gets home. Sometimes I feel like we aren't doing anything, and I don't know any other home schoolers who start so late in the day, but it's what we can do.
I hope that helps.
Thanks! I'm a night owl and since I've been working from home I find myself sometimes starting to work when the kids are in bed. My kids are morning people...thanks to their dad! I think it would be possible for me to sleep the same number of total hours per week that I'm getting now, it would just be at weird times. All of this is provided I even get the job. I have some friends and family that have worked nights but they either didn't have kids at the time or their kids were in school/daycare so its a bit different.