Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
JadeScarlet
Registered Users

Returning to EC...

DS is 14 months. We had a really good run from ages 6-10 months of using the potty several times a day, but we never got into a fulltime EC.

From about 11-14 months we traveled a lot. First a 3 week trip, then home for 5 days, then a 4 day weekend trip, then home for 10 days, then a month long trip and we returned last week. While traveling we stayed in a different family members house or hotel every few days, and we even went camping for a weekend!

It was a good fun time but wow did our routine get lost along the way.

Since we've been back home I've tried putting my son on the potty and he doesn't go in it anymore. He rarely used it while we were traveling (he did a few #2s in the potty when we were at grandma's house, but that was all).

Since we returned the potty has two results. One is that he screams and arches his back until we pick him up again. The other is that he stands up and runs away giggling. When we started traveling at 11 months he wasn't quite walking yet and happier to just sit.

Any tips on how to get that potty routine back at 14 months? I don't want to fully EC him but I'd like to keep working with him on signaling when he needs to go and slowly prepare him for the eventual potty training.

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Soseemehere
Registered Users
seller

Re: Returning to EC...

I may have a few tips.

She went through the back arching stage too, I would read to my daughter when she would sit on the pot or let her play with her toys....

I hope this helps. I am having other differnt challenges of my own so I am not sure if this tactic works for too long.... But it did work for a while for me. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Thanks.
Soseemehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi there JadeScarlet!

How awesome you want to get back into EC w/ your DS.

I would suggest to change things up. Instead of asking him to sit on the potty what about letting him pee in a container where he is? My co-mentor (for our diaper free baby group), uses a Dixie cup. It works out great because they are very portable and he can pee wherever he is. Could it be your DS is interested in peeing while standing?

Another thing which may be fun for your DS is to let him pee on something. Like wet the toilet paper or the sticks.

If it is still warm where you live and possible what about letting him pee outside? My DDs liked to pee on the steps or in the driveway. A bonus was getting to pee outside on the rocks and sticks.

Best wishes and I hope one of these suggestions helps!
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
JadeScarlet
Registered Users

Thanks!

We do read books on the potty and I give him toys to play with. Mostly he prefers to put his toys in the potty so I give him stuff made of plastic that can be washed easily if he does pee on it.

It is very warm now, its always warm where I live. We are in an apartment but have a balcony with tiles so I do let him run around out there naked.

It is getting better - I've had a few days where I've got him to do his poos in the potty. Pee though seems to be a whenever thing for him. Today we just did naked time this morning so I followed him around with a cloth and a spray bottle.