Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
Carolyn528
Registered Users
seller

Reading Question

I'm teaching a special Ed class this year and I have a student who is struggling with reading. That's an understatement. He's in 6th grade and can only read a few sight words.
I've been doing a lot of assessing and the problem seems to be that he can't remember the sounds that vowels make...even with a ton of repetition. He has apraxia. I'm at a loss on how to help this kid learn to read! Spam me with ideas please!

Advertisement

B 6/9/11
Due 10/30
Carolyn528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Re: Reading Question

I don't have any great ideas, but I'll say a prayer for him. What about just reading great living books to him or even books on tape? As long as he is comprehending what he is hearing he could stay caught up in other subjects. Maybe a whole language approach might be helpful. You might check out http://www.dianecraft.org/ too. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

I would also suggest a whole word approach as well. I immediately thought of this curriculum.

http://simplycharlottemason.com/stor...htful-reading/
Old 10-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
bakerbottoms
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLyn
I would also suggest a whole word approach as well. I immediately thought of this curriculum.

http://simplycharlottemason.com/stor...htful-reading/
I've thought of using this for my ADHD 6 yr old who doesn't know how to read
~ Albert Einstein
bakerbottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would suggest a whole different method. Try the evaluation found at www.bartonreading.com We tried Dianne Craft and it did not work for a child with speech and auditory processing issues. Barton reading took our 10 year old who was readin on a 1st grade level to a 12 year old reading on a 11th grade level. Orton-Gillingham methods have been proven to work over and over again, and Barton is easy to learn to teach and implement. Some students need to do Lindamood Bell LIPS before starting if thier phonemic awareness is poor enough.

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote