Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
beckers1111
Registered Users
seller

Question Does organic fabric REALLY matter?

I mean I know there are chemicals and stuff, but doesnt that wash off??? Im all for organic foods, because they are entering your body and being digested, but organic FABRIC?

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Re: Does organic fabric REALLY matter?

i don't know. i'm not personally hugely careful about organic fabrics, but i do know that i find organic velour to be more absorbent than regular velour. that's about the main difference i've noticed.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
lovencloth
Registered Users
seller

Location: MN, I have cats, but they don't smoke, and neither do we.

It's is not really about absorbancy, nor is it really about chemical content at the time it touches your baby. It is the fact that cotton (regular, non-organic cotton) accounts for over 50% of the pecticides/hericides used in the entire nation. No other plant takes as many chemicals to grow as cotton. Some earth consious mama's find it very worthwile to not promote the use of so many chemicals by buying only organic cotton. It is not an option for everyone unfortunately as it is really expensive (organ grown cotton is very labor intensive). Hope that helps answer your question.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

I always wondered about the same thing.. Glad you asked!
Old 04-30-2006, 01:33 PM   #5
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovencloth
It's is not really about absorbancy, nor is it really about chemical content at the time it touches your baby. It is the fact that cotton (regular, non-organic cotton) accounts for over 50% of the pecticides/hericides used in the entire nation. No other plant takes as many chemicals to grow as cotton. Some earth consious mama's find it very worthwile to not promote the use of so many chemicals by buying only organic cotton. It is not an option for everyone unfortunately as it is really expensive (organ grown cotton is very labor intensive). Hope that helps answer your question.

where I went to college was a small area where there were cotton farmers. When they get ready to harvest the cotton they spray it with a chemical that makes the plant "release" the cotton so it is easier to harvest. there were so many people that had horrible reactions when they had to spray the fields. if there was wind, the chemicals would travel miles and people would get sick from inhailing the chemical for weeks at a time.
Blackbirdlane is offline   Reply With Quote