Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Re: Homeschooling Check-In Part 3

Heather- I feel for you and all of your little ones! I have a friend whose daughter's arm was broken during her birth and it healed really fast, so I hope that your baby heals quickly too. Hopefully breastfeeding will keep him from getting sick. It usually worked for my babies, or if he/she got it it wasn't nearly as bad as the older kids had it. I'll keep you all in my prayers.
Kristin-I'll be praying for you and your family too. We have always homeschooled so I don't know about feeling left out of old school groups, but I know that I have two great new friends because of homeschooling. And that meant 6 new friends for my kids too. It did take us a 2-3 years to get there (mainly because I'm pretty shy), but they are much more like-minded and supportive. And I know that their kids are much less likely to be a bad influence on my kids and hopefully mine on theirs too. Hang in there, and remember God works in mysterious ways.

We had an okay day. All of our school work got done and some building too, but my sons had some major attitude when we were working on raking leaves. We got it all done but not as happily as I would have liked. On the bright side tomorrow is DD4's 1st birthday! She is growing up so fast. Last night the older kids were trying to get her to walk, but she's not quite steady enough yet. Well, I need to go bake her cake for tomorrow. Talk to you all later!

Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
MyVintageBliss
Registered Users
Formerly: BlissfullyChic
seller

My Mood:

We just started homeschooling again after a year of public school. We just pulled her out last week. Our first books came yesterday, Explode the Code, Beyond the Code and our science book which is "Great Science Adventures". We've spent the beginning of the week making our playroom into a classroom. It's been so much fun already. Last time we did homeschool we used the Calvert Curriculum and this time I created my own and chose books I love. I already feel less stressed about it and I'm very excited for the year. We also chose to do year round school which feels like such a great decision!! Couldn't be happier right now!! Oh and this time I have both of my girls to teach, not just one!
Old 10-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Kristin, as hard as it is to think about, if those "friends" dropped you or dropped her, they weren't really friends to begin with. Right now, our only friends are from church. I don't see that as a bad thing. It does mean that for some things, we have to make more of an effort, but any relationship worth having is going to take that effort. We are looking into getting the kids involved with something else. I don't know of any homeschool groups around her, per se, but there's probably 4-H or some sort of scouts, so we're going to look into those. Hang in there. It doesn't help that 12 is a rough age anyway. I have a 12 yr old daughter, as well, with attitude the size of Alaska some days.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #14
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

GRR. I love the stuff Rainbow Resources has, but geez it takes forever for them to ship and something is always on back order! Okay done with that rant.

Found a terrific science site the other day to get supplies from. Home Science? Great prices and cheap shipping. Granted it may take forever. lol.

Its 7:06am here and my son is asking "can we do class". Sure son, just let me get some coffee. Next week our field trip is to an airport. I found a wooden airplane to build in the craft section at walmart. Cant wait! We got books about airplanes too!

Oh and I wanted to share with you that we started a 'treasure box'. Some days my lo just doesnt want to do his work. The treasure box is a great incentive! It just has small things in it...party favors, cool pencils, erasers, stickers etc. But he looks forward to it!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #15
snorris2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten
Shannon--Sounds like you guys have lots of fun stuff coming up! Hope your boys are feeling cooperative today.

Heather--Oh wow. That sounds like a super rough week. Hope the rest of your crew is feeling better and that the baby heals quickly. How long is it supposed to take to heal? Did you get the nursing issues worked out? Dating the thread sounds like a good idea....but I'm not too good at keeping up with dates! I may know that we have to do XYZ on Tuesday, but I don't usually remember the date. I don't realize until I go to write a check and then I just guess-timate it. You'll more than welcome to take over that job though, if you like. I already kind of feel like I stole this thread from Angel-nee-nee.

I think we're up to day 21 in MFW. We did long I today, and the kids did much better after our review day yesterday. We didn't put in too much school time this morning though, because we finally got around to raking up the leaf pile they've been begging me for. We are also celebrating Kennah's birthday today--it's actually Sunday, but our Sunday is booked solid this week. We got her a Tag Junior and that thing is awesome!! Hopefully we'll put in a little more HS later today, but we'll see.
How old is the child you got the tag jr. for? I'm thinking of getting this for my daughter turning 3 on November 12. I thought about getting my almost 5year old the olswr version either for Christmas or her birthday.
snorris2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #16
snorris2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Heather, I'm so sorry about your little one. I hope all of you feel better quickly.

Kristin-I feel left out all the time and my oldest is only 4 1/2. Even though everyone has been told we will homeschool, they still assume she will start school next year. Not sure why that is. I believe that once I quit work and homeschooling is official that I will lose a lot of associations.

We took an extended break. Both of my kids were staying sick, so we just needed some rest. We started back this week and are on Ll leaf in MFW K. We're taking it slow and enjoying life and playing. It is pre-k after all.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #17
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Kristin, as hard as it is to think about, if those "friends" dropped you or dropped her, they weren't really friends to begin with. Right now, our only friends are from church. I don't see that as a bad thing. It does mean that for some things, we have to make more of an effort, but any relationship worth having is going to take that effort. We are looking into getting the kids involved with something else. I don't know of any homeschool groups around her, per se, but there's probably 4-H or some sort of scouts, so we're going to look into those. Hang in there. It doesn't help that 12 is a rough age anyway. I have a 12 yr old daughter, as well, with attitude the size of Alaska some days.
Yes. I know, and for the most part, I think her friends are still her friends. It's just that the 3 of them are still at school making their own memories and when they try to include her in what's going on, she feels sad. It's like she wants to know, but doesn't really. And 12 is a really yucky age. Attitude abounds!!

Today we are headed out and about. The church ladies group is having a soup and pie lunch and we're taking all the dc kids to it. Also heading to the chiropractor and to Wal-Mart to pic up pictures. Busy day! Then this weekend we'll file all our old papers and make a plan for next week.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #18
snorris2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse

Yes. I know, and for the most part, I think her friends are still her friends. It's just that the 3 of them are still at school making their own memories and when they try to include her in what's going on, she feels sad. It's like she wants to know, but doesn't really. And 12 is a really yucky age. Attitude abounds!!

Today we are headed out and about. The church ladies group is having a soup and pie lunch and we're taking all the dc kids to it. Also heading to the chiropractor and to Wal-Mart to pic up pictures. Busy day! Then this weekend we'll file all our old papers and make a plan for next week.
Twelve IS a hard age. Middle school years were the worst. Just think, you're saving her from some very tumultuous times in school. I don't think middle school is good for anyone.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well, plans can change in a hurry, can't they? We were walking out the door this morning for a big day of errands/grocery shopping/ect. when DH (who was leaving for work) says that his car won't work and he's taking the van. So we got all ready for nothing and are now stuck at home doing HSing. Oh well. The day went realitivly smoothly. I am wondering though....Why doesn't MFW teach blends? Like "sh" and "ch"? Because while we're learning long vowels, they have words like "snake" but we haven't done blends before so I'm teaching them both the blend and the long vowel stuff at once. It's going fairly well, but it seems like it would be easier to learn them seperately. Also for MFW uses in the early years....do you use stuff like the classical music CD and the Come Look With Me art books? Just curious.

MyVintageBliss--Welcome! Care to share your name (or a made up one would be fine)? And how old are your girls?

Kristin--I hope your DD is feeling better about things today--and I hope you are too!! 12 is a very rough age.

Snorris--It was my youngest DD we got the tag for. She turns 3 on Sunday. She is somewhat developmentally delayed though. If you are shopping for your 5 year old, I would go with the regular tag. I'm not sure what I would do with a typically developing 3 YO. I think their was a thread about them in parenting a week or two ago that might offer some insight for you.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #20
MyVintageBliss
Registered Users
Formerly: BlissfullyChic
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post

MyVintageBliss--Welcome! Care to share your name (or a made up one would be fine)? And how old are your girls?
Thanks, I'm Katt! My girls are 5 and 8, fun age for homeschooling! We just got our Handwriting without Tears last night and I love it already. Handwriting is such a pet peeve of mine. We also started our spanish this morning which was pretty fun. I think I am learning as much as they are.