Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I would also cut it short. But I dont like long hair on boys. We cut my sons curls off at 2 and gave him a "boy" haircut. Its hard enough keeping up with my girls long hair, snarls and the refusal to pull it back I wish they all had buzz cuts.

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #12
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: toddler boys with long hair...cut the bangs or let it all grow?

I came back to see what other people thought

All these pictures are of adorable kids...but I don't understand the appeal of long hair on a little boy, I do think it makes them look more like girls. Is it b/c giving a haircut to a toddler is PURE MISERY? LOL!

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #13
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My youngest's part is still not trained, (at 2.5) his hair is STUBBORN! But my older two took a few weeks maybe?
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post

All these pictures are of adorable kids...but I don't understand the appeal of long hair on a little boy, I do think it makes them look more like girls. Is it b/c giving a haircut to a toddler is PURE MISERY? LOL!
Because it's unnecessary, and if they don't want it cut, it's not my choice. It's their hair. I try not to force them to do anything that isn't really necessary for their health or learning responsibility/how to live. It just seems silly to me. I guess I ask the opposite question of yours: what's the point of cutting it?

My oldest asked for a haircut at 5, he really wanted a mohawk, so he got it. I'm not a big fan of it, and put it off for a bit But ultimately, it's not my hair and it looks presentable. My middle asked around 4 and he has a pretty traditional cut, but a little longer....they didn't use the clippers on him.

Last edited by harmoni247; 10-26-2012 at 03:41 PM.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #15
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post

I can't speak for everyone but I let my kids do whatever they want with their hair. It is their hair so they can wear it however they want as long as they keep it clean and reasonably well groomed. I will brush it and wash it (up to a certain age) but if they fight me on it then the clippers come out and we discuss a new, easier to maintain cut. When my oldest was a baby my family kept on about how important that first hair cut was as a milestone so before his first birthday we were off to the salon to get the cut. He had a lot of hair and it was a significant cut. Well he screamed like some one was killing him, I mean like bad enough that people came from the other side of the building (it is a set of suites with individual hair stylists and nail technicians, my mom has been going there for years) to see what was happening. After it was done it took him a good 30minutes to calm down. 4 months later he needed another cut so back we went but it was worse. Each time we took him for a cut it just got worse until finally I couldn't take it anymore and I just said enough, between the screaming during the cut and the hour it was now taking to calm him down after it wasn't worth it. About that time he was diagnosed with SPD and his OT told us that for him getting a haircut was like having a part of his body cut off, he couldn't understand why we were torturing him. We let him grow it out until he was 7.5 and a teacher pressured him in to cutting it because "you can't be a boy if you have long hair." He got it cut and cried he hated it so much. He is growing it out again but he will now tolerate me trimming it anyway. I said I would never go through that again so I didn't cut Tharen's hair until he wanted it done.

To be honest I just don't see the big deal about hair. I had my head shaved forever because I hate hair. I have a mohawk and bangs right now. My parents made me wear my hair long my entire childhood and when I was 17 I just couldn't take it anymore. I shaved it all off. I haven't had long hair since. I don't want my kids to hate their hair like I do or have weird issues like that. I figure it is just hair and they should be able to do what they want with it.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris

I just like long hair on boys and guys. Weirdly I prefer short hair on girls and women. I need to try and train DS's hair because he has no natural part
Here is a current picture of him but his hair has been longer and shorter. I don't really think cutting bangs on a boy looks good.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-629992208.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	122808

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #17
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
I just like long hair on boys and guys. Weirdly I prefer short hair on girls and women. I need to try and train DS's hair because he has no natural part
Here is a current picture of him but his hair has been longer and shorter. I don't really think cutting bangs on a boy looks good.
Attachment 122808
I don't normally like long hair on boys but his looks really nice like this.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't realize this was such an issue. Thank you for keeping it nice
as for me, I think DS is adorable with long hair and I absolutely love it down but it just gets in his face. I go through moments where I waiver and wonder if I should cut it, but overall it doesn't bother him so I dont see the need to cut it. It's also straight and baby fine so it's not unruly at all. If it got to that point or it bothered him, then, yes, I would cut it even if he wasn't old enough to ask me to.
I guess I need another option than that tie because He can be in all blue, collared shirt and blue crocs and ppl still call him a "she". It's kind of irritating but not a huge issue. I'm not against boys playing with girl stuff or things like that. DS dresses in DD's high heels and plays with her dolls all the time. I think it's cute that he wants to be like his sister
Old 10-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #19
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Personally, it is the rare toddler boy that has long hair that doesn't look like a girl to me. I like my little boy to look like a little boy. Babies don't have long hair, so I've never understood the whole "i can't cut it, he'll look all grown up" thing YK? We keep DS's trimmed every other month or so, and he looks adorable. He likes going for a hair cut, we take him to a small place that is similar to cookie cutters in that they have the toy cars, TV's, etc and do a great job. He moves all over the place in the car and they just move with him.

It's obviously your personaly preference. But yes, he does look like a girl with the length of the hair and the way you've got it tied back...if that doesn't bother you though, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 10-26-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #20
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy

I don't normally like long hair on boys but his looks really nice like this.
Well thank you

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote