Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #21
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling Check-In Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Well, plans can change in a hurry, can't they? We were walking out the door this morning for a big day of errands/grocery shopping/ect. when DH (who was leaving for work) says that his car won't work and he's taking the van. So we got all ready for nothing and are now stuck at home doing HSing. Oh well. The day went realitivly smoothly. I am wondering though....Why doesn't MFW teach blends? Like "sh" and "ch"? Because while we're learning long vowels, they have words like "snake" but we haven't done blends before so I'm teaching them both the blend and the long vowel stuff at once. It's going fairly well, but it seems like it would be easier to learn them seperately. Also for MFW uses in the early years....do you use stuff like the classical music CD and the Come Look With Me art books? Just curious.

MyVintageBliss--Welcome! Care to share your name (or a made up one would be fine)? And how old are your girls?

Kristin--I hope your DD is feeling better about things today--and I hope you are too!! 12 is a very rough age.

Snorris--It was my youngest DD we got the tag for. She turns 3 on Sunday. She is somewhat developmentally delayed though. If you are shopping for your 5 year old, I would go with the regular tag. I'm not sure what I would do with a typically developing 3 YO. I think their was a thread about them in parenting a week or two ago that might offer some insight for you.
We are doing MFWK and we just finished week 7(letter U). They start teaching blends in week 6, but with the focus on short vowels/blending consonant and vowel and CVC words. It seems to teach the reading very slowly thus far. We don't really use the classical CD because I forget about it every week. We usually do the "book day" every day, and finish the units is 5 days instead of 5. I think we will use the art book next year in 1st grade, but I can't say for sure.

We are going to see how the teaching of phonics/reading goes but I am planning on adding in All About Reading once we save the money to afford it.

AFM - We spent the morning grocery shopping. Schooling has gone slowly today. We got the election stuff done and got 1 chapter in our book read, but then the little ones woke up and now DS is off playing with them. We may either read the next chapter later, or just do it tomorrow.

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #22
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Snorris - We bought our son the regular Tag for Christmas the year he turned 3. It has held up well but he hasn't been using it much anymore(he is 5 now).
Old 10-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #23
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggierbard9 View Post
We are doing MFWK and we just finished week 7(letter U). They start teaching blends in week 6, but with the focus on short vowels/blending consonant and vowel and CVC words. It seems to teach the reading very slowly thus far. We don't really use the classical CD because I forget about it every week. We usually do the "book day" every day, and finish the units is 5 days instead of 5. I think we will use the art book next year in 1st grade, but I can't say for sure.

We are going to see how the teaching of phonics/reading goes but I am planning on adding in All About Reading once we save the money to afford it.
I should have been more specific. I know they teach short vowel/consonant blends. But as far as I've seen they don't really have a section that teaches just consonant blends at the beginning or ends of words. Like "pl" in plan. Or "sh" in fish. We also do books everyday, and always always forget about the classical music CD. Since we don't do the CD, we don't use the color book of instruments either (We're in first grade, not K). We have used the Come Look With Me Book once, maybe twice, but I tend to forget about it also. They say to do those on exploration day, but they aren't really scheduled in the TM so I don't remember. I'm hoping the new 1st grade teachers manual will include them for when my next one is at that age. We do use the drawing with children book--the kids love that!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #24
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Is it too late for me to join in? LOL I'm homeschooling/unschooling my oldest, but my middle goes to a private school now. It's a long story, but basically different kids, different needs. This last week was very lazy. Monday was our homeschool group, Tuesday and Wednesday she did her head of the class curriculum and read chapters of The Hobbit for her literary study class. We made caramel apples and went to the pumpkin farm. DD2 had off today and yesterday so we were pretty lazy.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #25
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
Is it too late for me to join in? LOL I'm homeschooling/unschooling my oldest, but my middle goes to a private school now. It's a long story, but basically different kids, different needs. This last week was very lazy. Monday was our homeschool group, Tuesday and Wednesday she did her head of the class curriculum and read chapters of The Hobbit for her literary study class. We made caramel apples and went to the pumpkin farm. DD2 had off today and yesterday so we were pretty lazy.
Our local library is doing a thing next week for The Hobbit, as the movie is coming out in December. My son is bummed because the event is only for teens, and my oldest is interested in going, but is iffy on reading the book. I love the book and have been trying to get my kids interested, but so far I've not had any luck.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #26
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I should have been more specific. I know they teach short vowel/consonant blends. But as far as I've seen they don't really have a section that teaches just consonant blends at the beginning or ends of words. Like "pl" in plan. Or "sh" in fish. We also do books everyday, and always always forget about the classical music CD. Since we don't do the CD, we don't use the color book of instruments either (We're in first grade, not K). We have used the Come Look With Me Book once, maybe twice, but I tend to forget about it also. They say to do those on exploration day, but they aren't really scheduled in the TM so I don't remember. I'm hoping the new 1st grade teachers manual will include them for when my next one is at that age. We do use the drawing with children book--the kids love that!
The K book tells me to use the CD but since it is listed on day 6 and we tend to skip that day I forget about it every time.

I was wondering what/how phonics were continued in the 1st grade curriculum...this makes me lean even more towards adding the all about reading/spelling to our plans for next year.

I am starting to think that DS might need glasses but just for reading type activities. The Ped said he has 20/20 vision, but I am noticing him rubbing his eyes and really trying to focus on stuff when he is writing/reading his copy work. I am thinking he may have 20/20 vision at a distance but that up close he is having trouble.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #27
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor

Our local library is doing a thing next week for The Hobbit, as the movie is coming out in December. My son is bummed because the event is only for teens, and my oldest is interested in going, but is iffy on reading the book. I love the book and have been trying to get my kids interested, but so far I've not had any luck.
When we choose forward at our coop I encouraged savannah to take the class. I told her that if she did we would go see the movie in December. She agreed once she started the book she's been eager ever since
Old 10-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #28
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Jen - They do teach it, but later in 1st. We are just about to do Ch on Monday, day 49 (I think) and Sh is coming too. They are getting the vowels down first and then move to the consonant blends. You are getting there. I think the /sn/ is blend, but they both make their own sound. So, they assume the child can put those together without specific instruction on how to do it. Zack never had an issue with those type of consonant blends, but I know your son struggles with blending. Things like /ch/ and /sh/ make a different sound than just putting the letter sounds together. So, those need to be actually taught. Hopefully, that makes sense.

Sorry for the short response. I've been wanting to answer Jen's question since she first posted it, but I just haven't been able to. Now, I'm supposed to be walking out the door. My husband is loading the kids in the car as I type. I'll answer the other about music and art and whatever else later.

BTW - We did a full day of school yesterday, Bible, phonics, reading, math, science. It was a great day.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 10-27-2012 at 08:30 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #29
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. This week we are starting to read Mr. Popper's Pengins, continue to work on our adding and subbtracting, starting a unit on Greece, working on our reading, doing a fun Halloween science experiment and the life cycle of a pumpkin. It should be fun and busy.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #30
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

foggierbard--Heather's right--I looked ahead in the TM and sure enough they do the blending. It's coming up in a few weeks. She's also right that my son has problems with blends, that's probably why we are having trouble with some of the words. He is doing fairly well with some of it--on a good day. Don't get me started on a bad day. Also about the glasses, I think it's a good idea to have a full eye exam if you haven't. But if it shows up 20/20, it may just be from being tired. It does put a different kind of strain on the eye when they start reading, and reading is hard work for their little brains. So it may be from wearing out, rather than a vision problem.

Tanya--Welcome!!

Heather--that totally makes sense. I just hadn't taken the time to think about it, I guess, and I hadn't looked ahead to see that they do the other ones later. Congrats on your full day!

AFM--I feel like dirt. I've been having sinus drainage. I feel fine, but over the weekend have lost my voice. But I sat out to do HSing this morning anyway, and I'll warn you...do not try to HS fairly young children when you can only whisper. It will not go well. I got frustrated at the kids after telling them 3 or 4 times to listen carefully because I don't want to have to repeat myself. I got frustrated while they were doing the reading lesson because they weren't paying attention. Basically I had a bad Mommy moment. I told them to go find something to do, and put their workbooks away. They were shocked, and went to Keegan's room to try to figure out the word "mule". It didn't exactly make me feel warm and fuzzy about myself. Hopefully I'll get my voice back and tomorrow's a new day--better luck then.

Last edited by jen_batten; 10-29-2012 at 07:39 PM.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote