Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: What is a natural consequence to

Have you ever been in the classroom when it's pack up time? It's utter chaos. I wouldn't fault her for this. If you can't pick her up and retrieve it from the class yourself email the teacher or send a note in her folder asking if the teacher could remind her to bring them home. In the younger groups the teacher has them come up one at a time to get their belongings. She can get it out of her cubby then. I wouldn't punish her. That's pretty normal for that age.

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would use only disposable lunch bags then. It may not be environmentally friendly, but neither is replacing plastic lunch bags three times a week.

After a while, I just started using brown paper lunch sacks because I got tired of spending good money on reusable bags.

A frozen Juice box keeps it all cold, and easy to use.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 10-25-2012 at 11:58 AM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd just use a regular bag.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I can only echo PP's, a plastic grocery bag. They are really ugly, they are too big for the food, and they are noisy and draw attention.

I think that's a natural consequence, and it doesn't have to be a "punishment" type of thing, just like a "this is what I have to put your lunch in cause you forgot you lunch box" type of thing.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the suggestions. Like Carrie said, buying lunch isn't an option and neither is no lunch. I think I will try Harmoni's idea about something not fitting, although she doesn't get "treats" (cookies, pudding, etc.) very often, so it will have to be something else. I did send her with an ugly bag today, and it did not phase her. Maybe a plastic bag; I'll have to see if I can find one for next time.

I have been there often at pick up time, and I know it can happen. That's why it wasn't a big deal in the beginning. But she's forgotten more times this year already, than last year (as a kinder) all year. Sometimes it's at school and sometimes it's on the bus (which grandma drives so she usually just takes it home with her). And I am definitely not replacing bags as she forgets, there just happens to be an old not nice looking one from odd and that's what is used when any of them forget. It is a bit irritating that all the reusable containers are in the bags she forgets, but she does eventually bring them home.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Last edited by Honeymommy3; 10-25-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Honeymommy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #16
listalees
Registered Users
seller

I soooo can relate to this!!
My son has lost 3 water bottles and 2 lunch boxes so far this year. I have not sent him without a lunch but I have made him purchase a replacement water bottle out of his allowance and I've sent him with plastic grocery bags.
He seems like he is getting better about it. I don't really want to punish him because I know it is just due to absentmindedness, but then again Water bottles are at least 8 bucks and lunch boxes are 10 and I will not replace them an infinite number of times. Hopefully as the year goes on, a checklist will begin to establish itself when getting ready for pick up.
listalees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #17
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For my son I put a tag on the outside of his backpack with a pic of his lunchbox and his folder. These were the two things he had to bring home everyday. At first he was embarrassed but then he wanted a new one at winter to help him remember his boots, hat, gloves...
Old 10-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #18
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

plastic bag
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #19
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
making her take her lunch in an ugly brown bag or plastic sack?
This.

Or...for my daughter...you have to buy a hot lunch. She hates school food, so this is a huge punishment.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #20
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons View Post
We stop letting take a lunch for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewind_Selector View Post
No lunch!
How can you purposefully make your kids go hungry...for FORGETTING? Its not like she threw the lunch bag out. That just seems too corporal.