Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

am i using my maya ring sling right?

i have a medium that i got from a friend. i am 5' 3" and 120lbs. i noticed that the tummy to tummy carry is the easiest carry for me but i have to put the rings over my shoulder then tighten them. by the time this happens the rings are in the right place and my lo is happy and falls asleep. i also put the excess upper rail over his head so he is cocooned and tight against my body. its amazing

how ever if feel like if im doing anything besides walking or sitting it isnt as supportive as i would like. bending over with a front carry is near impossible. are there any other carries that would cater to better security while bending over? he sometimes likes to squirm and i feel his little butt pouch wont hold him. as far as i know hes squatting with his butt on my belly button and his knees are at his belly button. also how long can you wear your ring sling before your body gets sore? could i do a back carry?

ds is 16 lbs and 5 months old.

Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: am i using my maya ring sling right?

I have a 14 lb almost 5 month old and we use the Maya a TON! If you pull it high up on his back and then tighten the top rail more it should feel more secure in bending over a bit, however, I don't think it's great for up and down type of chores around the house. There is a way to wear a ring sling on your back (you kind of just scooch them over onto your back) but I don't think for a baby this little unless you had the really long Maya and maybe could wrap it and do the rings under bum carry (google it). I've tried it with my Medium and it's too short for me.

When I get the ring sling just right I can wear it for over an hour very comfortably. I'm still kinda new at it so sometimes I don't get it in that perfect sweet spot every time, and it gets uncomfortable faster.

Just keep practicing and make sure the fabric is spread out over your back and to tighten the slack pull from around your back and bring it toward the rings then then tighten. Those are 2 things that REALLY helped me. Also the "fill your bra" method to get the baby in nice and deep. Google it
loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

lo gets rash on the back of his neck from the friction against the linens and its happening on the sling too. your method is helping nicely btw
Old 10-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
ohio_mama05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I remember when my daughter was young I couldn't do a whole lot of bending bc it seemed like her head was always flopping around. As she got older and could control it was fine though. Probably user error there too. I'm going to find a good link for back carry and post it in a few.
ohio_mama05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_mama05 View Post
I remember when my daughter was young I couldn't do a whole lot of bending bc it seemed like her head was always flopping around. As she got older and could control it was fine though. Probably user error there too. I'm going to find a good link for back carry and post it in a few.
i think the back carry would free me up quite a bit. im kind of scared to do it in a ring sling though. owen gets so heavy and i get pain.he also wont go down for naps well without it :/ i dont blame him. can they sleep in a back carry? im sure i could fold the top rail over