Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I would check with the school at drop off Monday morning to see if it is found. The rest would depend on my child. If she was heartbroken over losing it, how much she had her heart set on being that particular thing, and how often her losing stuff was a problem.

Advertisement

L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What would you do?

I don't think it warrants any punishment, unless she looses things a lot. If she's genuinely upset about it I'd get her a new one. If she doesn't seem that affected and you think it's due to her being unresponsable, I'd make her wear one from last year.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I think the natural consequence of having to look for and possibly come up with a new costume herself would be adequate unless this leaving stuff around and losing it is a chronic problem. If my 5 year old lost her costume, I'd make her come up with something else. Lucky for her she has lots of dress up stuff, but I simply wouldn't buy her a new one.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think a 10yo can be expected to keep track of a costume. I mean, it's not like it's a teeny little trinket or something. Is it possible that it was stolen? I'd have her search high and low for it and if she truly lost it, I'd just say that she had to make her own replacement costume. Not so much of a "punishment", just a natural consequence and a solution. I made a few of my own costumes at that age. They were fun! Once I took a big rectangular box and painted it like a box of movie theater popcorn and wore it. I think I glued some popcorn to a hat too.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
She does lose things a lot including a pair of glasses. They were probably dropped in the garbage and she didn't notice. Table is right by out that she put the glasses on.

My punishment yes I think it needs is no ToTing. She had two options to get it back find the costume otter pay me for the costume then go costume less. Her previous costume is to small and in KY.
She is not passed by the loss. Just said I took it out. Which is just nuts.

Alisha I know how to spell my Samsung Galaxy S2 does not.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #16
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2kaitlyn View Post
She does lose things a lot including a pair of glasses. They were probably dropped in the garbage and she didn't notice. Table is right by out that she put the glasses on.

My punishment yes I think it needs is no ToTing. She had two options to get it back find the costume otter pay me for the costume then go costume less. Her previous costume is to small and in KY.
She is not passed by the loss. Just said I took it out. Which is just nuts.

Well I think a lot of us dont believe in "punishment" persay more like natural consequences, and if it were me, Id say you can go tot'ing if you make your own costume.

Are there any extenuating circumstances for her losing things a lot?
Like I have adhd and I lose things ALL the time, my son has it and does too.
It sucks.

I would contact the teacher see if she has any input.

I havent gone to a school where they allowed kids to wear costumes during the school day in a long time.

Our school had a monster mash costume party friday evening, it was crazy crowded ugh.

My son picked out a costume and then decided he didnt want to wear it because he was embarrassed by it. I am like I *asked* for sure for sure if thats what you wanted (stay puft marshmallow man from ghostbusters).
So he wore last years costume, but says he will probably wear his new one just w/the fan turned off (it comes w/a fan that puffs up the costume, we think it's neat and funny, ds doesnt appreciate the humor at all).
Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #17
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

She doesn't get to TOT at all unless she pays you for a new costume AND buys her own? Or did I read that wrong?

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #18
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3
Well, I would call the teacher/send a note to the teacher to ask if DD can have a look around. I would encourage DD to check where she had been that day to make sure it was truly lost. Once hope was given up, I would encourage her to find something that we already own.

Depending on the kid and how responsible or irresponsible she generally was, I would give more or less help and support in finding it and or creating a new costume. I would not be buying anything new, no matter what, though.
This. I dont feel like its a punishment though, just natural consequences for a not great decision.

Eta:, I would let her tot if she comes up with her own costume I think not letting her go at all is a little harsh. especially since you don't know exactly what happened. Unless of course she is refusing to come up with a costume for herself. Then, I would say no toting

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DS Forum

Last edited by doulamomma; 10-28-2012 at 08:53 PM.
doulamomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #19
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia.aline
She doesn't get to TOT at all unless she pays you for a new costume AND buys her own? Or did I read that wrong?
No she has to pay for the lost one then goes wearing whatever here. Could do a black cat easily.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #20
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Something odd happened I had a long part that didn't post but acted like it had.

She took the costume for something the day before with no issues. Fridays thing was for the carnival after school not at school.

No idea why she is losing stuff constantly. I thought adhd but or wasn't shown as that, as teachers were against it and filled out the papers very conservative. She may have lost $20, put in her pants. Ugh That was Sunday.