Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Autism and Dyslexia

I have a lady who has been asking me for some advice concerning burn-out and frustration. She has 3 girls, two of whom are autistic (I know one is high-functioning, but not sure about the other) and one whom is dyslexic. I know some of y'all have children with these same issues, so could y'all give some pointers for her? Any good resources she should check out? Going through the public school system is not an option for her at this point due to laws in her state.

Advertisement

tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
south5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Autism and Dyslexia

My 2 oldest have dyslexia (12 and 8.) My ds8 is also ADHD and has a lot of sensory issues.

My oldest is a very independent, auditory learner but it took time to get him there. I started him on audio tapes in 3rd grade. I would get a book that was a little ahead of his reading level and have him sit and follow along with the audio. His dyslexia is more mild, and he basically memorized thousands of words to be able to read. I did take him back through phonics last year and I have seen a huge improvement in writing and spelling.

My ds8 learns best with hands-on unit studies. DS12 cannot stand unit studies, so they do everything seperate.

I have found that ds8 cannot do a subject for more than 20 minutes. I looked into a lot of Charlotte Mason and I really like her ideas and schedules for him. His school might last 7 hours because he requires multiple breaks.

We learned phonics using play-doh to form the alphabet and Phonics Pathways. He just started reading last January. Before that, he could not even figure out cat or mop. He is reading at a 2.8 now.

What does she need help with exactly?

I think it really helps if you aren't in a race to get done before lunch. It helps if you find something that interests them. The Way they Learn was an awesome book. Have her check out simplycharlottemason.com
None of the books on dyslexia really helped me. I think every child is so different. Focus on the child instead of a grade level.
Routine is super important to my ds8 and I know it is a big deal to autistic kids. Write out a schedule on a poster and put it on the wall.

Last edited by south5; 10-28-2012 at 11:09 PM.
south5 is offline   Reply With Quote