Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: So for Christmas my two year old has asked for...

DD had been asking for a guitar for months right around 2...I used an A.C.Moore coupon to get one of their learner ukuleles for about $16. DD has gone through phases of playing with it frequently & then ignoring it for a while. I'd do a guitar or something more expensive if her interest were a little more focused or sustained...

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter has a ukele, it's a better size for her. She is very careful with it and loves to play "tar" with her daddy. She's pretty conscientious with her things though, I wouldn't have spent $70 on one if I thought she would smash it in two days. It was part of DH's father's day gift and it's still in perfect shape, plus she hasn't lost her pick!

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #13
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

My kid wanted one too. So we opted the natural kind. Yeah. Not as much fun when they realize they must create the sound., so then we got an electric play one. He loved it. Lol, figures.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermommy1 View Post
So I see he's not alone in his guitar wish :-D

I think we will get a ukulele. I can teach him to read music, but we have many talented friends who play guitar and all sorts of instruments who could teach him to really play on down the road if he retains interest

Costco has one that is a full sized concert one. It is $99. We got it for our daughter. It has a case and book with it. I like that it is small, but real. She has been asking for guitar lessons since she was 3.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Well, we have a baby grand piano. My husband also has a guitar and a clarinet.

My 4 yo daughter has started asking for a guitar, which is nice, but we have the piano and we expect a bit more than her finding middle c before we add instruments.

If we were inclined to add an instrument, it would either be a lyre or a glockenspiel. A guitar is too much, too unwieldy for a 2 year old. Just imo, no judgment. I just think success would be hard to attain or measure. A smaller stringed instrument such as a lyre is very attractive to young children.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner View Post
Well, we have a baby grand piano. My husband also has a guitar and a clarinet.

My 4 yo daughter has started asking for a guitar, which is nice, but we have the piano and we expect a bit more than her finding middle c before we add instruments.

If we were inclined to add an instrument, it would either be a lyre or a glockenspiel. A guitar is too much, too unwieldy for a 2 year old. Just imo, no judgment. I just think success would be hard to attain or measure. A smaller stringed instrument such as a lyre is very attractive to young children.

I'm not sure why finding middle C on the piano is important as a precursor for playing the guitar? Many people don't enjoy playing the piano who love to play other stringed instruments. I do agree an adult-size guitar is too cumbersome for a child. Success, as far as I'm concerned, is if he retains an interest in music--not if he becomes a virtuoso of the ukulele.

I played the piano for 12 years, the french horn for 6, the violin for 2, handbells, organ, trumpet, melophone ("marching french horn"), harmonica, and took voice lessons. After all of that I prefer to dance and now am a professional bellydancer in addition to my "day job"....but guess how many instruments I play??? Just one- zills (finger cymbals).

So, I support letting a kid explore whatever instrument they want to explore, my question was more is it worth spending the money on a guitar at this age when that's just what they are doing--exploring. I do think it's worth $30 for a ukulele, and heck, I probably would enjoy messing around with it myself. I certainly don't think anyone needs to learn middle C on a piano before they attempt other instruments. In fact, I know some talented pianists who play solely by ear, can't read a note of music, and have no clue where "middle c" is in that respect.

I think playing multiple instruments has given me a lot of unexpected skills... rhythm and an understanding of rhythm and timing, for one.... appreciation for talented individuals who learn and practice their craft.... the ability to dance with feeling to music because I understand the underlying framework of the composition.... and a variety of other coordination-related benefits.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com

Last edited by dancermommy1; 10-31-2012 at 11:09 AM.
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
keysersoze
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we got ds1 a nylon-string child sized guitar from our local guitar store for less than $60 when he was 3. we haven't regretted it.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

If he continues to ask for it, then yes!
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #19
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Op, I meant nothing offensive to you. My daughter has asked for a guitar and we think she needs to spend more time with the piano first. Perhaps we think she is more interested in something new and shiny rather than what is already available to her. I'm sorry if I didn't add anything relevant here. I've been distracted lately.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #20
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My daughter is 5, and in violin lessons through our local Suzuki academy. I'm an orchestra teacher and DH plays violin. We've done some basic piano with her before she started violin. She still couldn't find middle C without help, and she's grown up around music her whole life. I don't get it--Why that is a requirement to add instruments? At this age, kids aren't "serious" about the instrument. They just want to play around with it.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote