Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #21
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh yeah, I compare my kids (in my head) all the time. And they couldn't be more different! Maybe this problem is mostly mine.

Thanks for the comforting words. As a mama, you want to do your best. But what is best isn't always clear. We're a family of talkers with a non-talking child. It's hard to even get in there and understand it.

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #22
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Late talking children

My dd1 had her language explosion around 22mos which is really really common. If there were NO words at 18mos I might be a little concerned but as long as words are starting to come and communication is going well (we taught basic sign to dd1 ) it's not something our docs worry about until after 2 at least.

My SIL had speech therapy for her first son when he wasn't talking at 3 and they suggested that she stop talking to him in such long complicated sentences. They wondered if he couldn't distinguish all the words. They suggested short simple sentences. In the end, all of a sudden, he just started talking like a normal 3.5yr old and she thinks it was unrelated to the speech therapy. She never bothered with her second son and he followed the exact same path. Just regular kids who were later talkers.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #23
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Neither of my girls said a single word -not even mama or dada - until they were 2. They now never stop talking and have very good language skills.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #24
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Re: Late talking children

Check out the book Einstein Never Used Flashcards. Theres a section on speech in there that I found really interesting. It doesnt matter how much you talk to your baby or around your baby. It depends on your interaction and response to their verbal (and nonverbal) communication. Its more about paying attention to their cues and what their interest is in that moment rather than narrating their day for them. I will ruin it if i try to explain it further than that, but i have had very slow to speak boys after my first was ridiculously quick, so it interested me and the studies made a lot of sense.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote