Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #21
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I got the epi about 2 hours into my pitocin. They gave me too much and I found not being able to feel my legs at all very disturbing but I definitely was not in pain after that.

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #22
MunkyCrazy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breaking water vs. Pitocin???

Will she strip your membranes? My first 2 my water broke to start labor. This last time it didn't break until I was pushing, right before he was born. I was 4cm when I saw her, she stripped my membranes and said I was 5. I had him the next night, no pitocin. Worth a shot!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #23
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here is a really fabulous article about artificial oxitocin that you may be interested in

http://www.mothering.com/community/a...-to-give-birth

I realize you didn't list this as an option... but I would really wait it out. If baby is happy, there are no pressing reasons that mom needs to deliver right away... then what is the concern? I know this would be difficult to accomplish in a hospital, but I would really really push to wait until the last possible time to induce. If it were me, and I had to deliver in a hospital again, I would be waiting until the last day at the very last hour, that I could. Like 41 weeks 6 days and 23 hrs. It's worth it!

ETA: My best friend just had a beautiful home birth and waited it out until 42weeks 3 days Baby just wasn't ready before that, and showed no signs of post maturity.

Last edited by mamaratliff; 11-01-2012 at 12:46 PM.
mamaratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #24
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkyCrazy View Post
Will she strip your membranes? My first 2 my water broke to start labor. This last time it didn't break until I was pushing, right before he was born. I was 4cm when I saw her, she stripped my membranes and said I was 5. I had him the next night, no pitocin. Worth a shot!
Well, like I said...I'm still learning and trying to become informed, so I don't know about a lot of stuff yet, but I just looked up stripping membranes and it said that women who are positive for GBS should not have this done, and I am. Would that be a reason for them not to break my water also, and opt for Pitocin instead?
dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #25
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
I was GBS + and my mw suggested a membrane sweep. I too had read the same thing about it not being a good idea. I brought it up with mw and she disagreed. I have to trust my mw more than dr. Google.

I think you're doing the right thing to educate yourself. This way you can ask your dr/mw why this way and not that way? What are the risks and benefits? What happens if we do nothing? I am no proponent of inductions but there are medically necessary reasons to do them and they're a lot of different ways to do them.
Ask the mw/dr what is the med necessary reason for suggesting induction?

Really educating yourself and having a dialogue with yr provider is the way to go. I write down my questions before hand so I don't forget or get confused. I ask questions in a manner that I hope is respectful. I expect to be talked to in a respectful manner that answers my question on a level I get.

Knowledge is power!
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #26
4dramamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMommy
I was GBS + and my mw suggested a membrane sweep. I too had read the same thing about it not being a good idea. I brought it up with mw and she disagreed. I have to trust my mw more than dr. Google.

I think you're doing the right thing to educate yourself. This way you can ask your dr/mw why this way and not that way? What are the risks and benefits? What happens if we do nothing? I am no proponent of inductions but there are medically necessary reasons to do them and they're a lot of different ways to do them.
Ask the mw/dr what is the med necessary reason for suggesting induction?

Really educating yourself and having a dialogue with yr provider is the way to go. I write down my questions before hand so I don't forget or get confused. I ask questions in a manner that I hope is respectful. I expect to be talked to in a respectful manner that answers my question on a level I get.

Knowledge is power!
This.

I've also had a membrane sweep while GBS+. I had already been administered antibiotics for two hours at that point. MW also broke my water that delivery.

You are doing a great job of asking questions and reading. I totally agree with making a list. I am on baby #6 and I still read, read, read, and ask tons of questions.
Beth, Christian mama of 5 (expecting #6 Spring 2013).
Check out my blog Heart Stirred with Wisdom
4dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #27
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Membrane sweeping would be something to research and consider. Sweeping the membrane is where the practitioner inserts their finger into the opening of your cervix and teases the wall of the amniotic sac (bag of waters) away from the cervix, which causes the body to release prostaglandin. Prostaglandin helps ripen and dilate the uterus so it can push start you into labor if baby and your body is ready. It won't work if baby isn't ready. It can cause prodromol labor, and it does cause some bleeding due to breaking the tiny blood vessels that form between the wall of the amniotic sac and your cervix.
I've personally never heard of GBS status effecting membrane sweeps. That's the first time I've ever heard of it.
Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #28
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

AROM (breaking water) will put you immediately "on the clock". Most hospitals require that baby be out within 24hrs after ROM.
I wouldn't opt for AROM as induction unless I was at 42 weeks. Personally, I am not comfortable going past 42 weeks so I would be willing to induce and have the baby out either way at that point.

I had a wonderful induction with my 2nd baby. We started pitocin at 10am, turned it up very slowly every so often. Once I was contracting in a good pattern we left the pitocin at that level for about an hour, then we backed off the pit to see what my body would do - my body took over and continued the rest of the labor and birth all on its own.
FWIW, even with pit and an IV I was not on constant monitors - I was up and moving about the room until I was in a good contracting pattern for a few hours, then I labored in the tub for the last few hours.
I did not have an epidural or any pain medications. It was no worse/harder/more painful than my natural VBAC, and it was less hard/painful than my first labor and birth.

With pitocin, you're not on any clock. I had discussed the idea of seeing what my body would do, and DH and I had told the Dr that if labor didn't progress, or my body didn't take over and progress, we were willing to shut the pit off and go home to wait it out.
With AROM, you won't have the option to stop.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #29
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
I haven't had pit, but I did have my water broken with this one (unknowingly). Part of the bag got stuck over my cervical lip somehow and it was awful. The midwife had to put her hand inside of me and hold the lip up, trying to get the bag off of it, while I pushed the baby out past her hand. It was... Well, let's just say it felt like delivering a two-headed baby and made me positive I didn't want to have any other children.

Probably not very helpful, but that was my experience with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #30
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet4
I've had 4 drug-free deliveries. The 3rd was w/pitocin. Not an option to break my water b/c baby's head was not far enough engaged (chance of cord prolapse). I'd been in labor for 24 hrs (not hospital all that time). Finally agreed to pitocin. It's definitely a VERY intense experience. IF breaking the water is an option, I think I'd try that first.
Pitocin is a drug
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote