Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
EuphoricDysphoria's Avatar
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,080
My Mood:
Senstivity to formula?

My DD is 4 weeks old and I'm wondering what signs you'd have if the formula wasn't working for your LO?

DD#1 never spit up but #2 is spitting up a lot after eating. She was eating 120ml but I've lowered that to 100-110ml and still spitting up. If I go less she's still hungry. She also bubbles at the mouth sometimes. Not often, it's only happened 2-3 times.

She's on similac advance, concentrate.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

__________________
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." -- Ambrose Redmoon
EuphoricDysphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Hungry Caterpillar's Avatar
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,241
Re: Senstivity to formula?

We had head bobbing, tummy rumbling, lots of gas, spitting up, and he just generally looked like an unhappy fellow. We switched to the Sensitive and mixed it with the Sensitive for Spit Up because he also had bad reflux, and that worked out well for us. We saw a difference in around three days.

It's basically the same price, you could try it pretty easily.
__________________
Andrea
Mama to B and E, Wife to E
Parenting with Hugs and Terror since 2011
Hungry Caterpillar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
EuphoricDysphoria's Avatar
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,080
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar
We had head bobbing, tummy rumbling, lots of gas, spitting up, and he just generally looked like an unhappy fellow. We switched to the Sensitive and mixed it with the Sensitive for Spit Up because he also had bad reflux, and that worked out well for us. We saw a difference in around three days.

It's basically the same price, you could try it pretty easily.
Did you notice the symptoms right away?

I ask because up until 4-5 days ago, she was getting 1/2 BM because I was pumping. But now it's 100% formula. I wonder if she's now showing symptoms because it's all formula?! Ah, so clueless
__________________
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." -- Ambrose Redmoon
EuphoricDysphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Hungry Caterpillar's Avatar
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,241
Re: Senstivity to formula?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuphoricDysphoria View Post
Did you notice the symptoms right away?

I ask because up until 4-5 days ago, she was getting 1/2 BM because I was pumping. But now it's 100% formula. I wonder if she's now showing symptoms because it's all formula?! Ah, so clueless
Well, I was giving breastmilk too, but not as much bc I didn't produce as much. I did notice it within the first four weeks and more noticeably when it was 100% formula after 4 weeks. This also corresponded though with him being able to move a bit more and not be so blobby so I think the jarring did him in a bit, plus you are naturally less paranoid like they will be broken if you move them too fast after a few weeks, KWIM? But it was also my first child so in hindsight I think I didn't know what was normal and maybe didn't act as fast as I would with another child.
__________________
Andrea
Mama to B and E, Wife to E
Parenting with Hugs and Terror since 2011
Hungry Caterpillar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
blueone's Avatar
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: All Over
Posts: 2,491
Re: Senstivity to formula?

She was curling her legs in screaming in pain and comfort eating an insane amount. But that was a dramatic case. With DS he would vomit up the entire bottle projectile style with a couple brands. With one he just developed a rash.

With both of them, when I put them on the right formula the dramatic symptoms vanished and then they just started improving. DD started eating more and was happier, her silent reflux got a little better. With DS he stopped vomiting and his rash gradually cleared.

I'd perhaps try a sensitive formula with your LO and see what happens. DS did fine with Similac Sensitive. DD had to be moved to Alimentum Ready to Feed, she didn't tolerate the powder or concentrate forms of Nutramigen and Alimentum. It has to be Alimentum Ready to Feed, we tried this last after trying the others.
__________________
Happy Wife and Mom to a crazy hyper boy born 7-11-09! and a wonderful daughter born 5-3-12
blueone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
luvsviola's Avatar
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 17,103
My Mood:
Re: Senstivity to formula?

For my son, he was screaming hysterically. We tried about 6 formulas, and finally settled on Elecare, which was the wonder formula. The screaming magically stopped.
__________________
Kristen
Middle school teacher by day, super mom by night
Mommy to The Boss~2007, The Energizer Bunny~2009, and The Princess~2011
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
P!nkPepper's Avatar
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 9,579
My Mood:
We had many signs. He had a "crust" even in his eyebrows, strangers would ask what was wrong with him. He screamed quite a bit & was always scratching his face. He was not growing, actually wasn't on the growth chart. He spit up tons even coming out his nose. We tried Regular Enfamil, the Gentlease, Prosobee, Neutramigen, Alimentum (even RTF) & Isomil. Nothing worked. We were seeing many doctors, Allergists ran tests, dermetologists had me change his clothing to all cotton, only washed in F&C detergents. Special lotions & soaps. He even had Barium swallow studies, upper & lower GIs. He was born Nov 16 at 8 lbs 15 oz. Was barely 10 lbs at Easter. We had a bag of Elecare samples & we put him on that. The allergist wanted us to wait until the last test results came back. I decided on Easter that I would wait no longer! Instant improvement. His skin was perfect within a week & the weight started improving. He screamed less, he stopped wearing mittens all the time. We could have tummy time! It got even better when they finally diagnosed him with dysphagia & we began to thicken his formula.

He is now 11 months old & is a tiny but healthy happy baby, in the 25%. He still drinks his Elecare thickened but can eat anything in small amounts. He runs around non-stop. He is just perfect. We never got a diagnosis as to why the Elecare made such an improvement but who cares? He is healthy now!

OP, I hope you find the answers for your baby. Don't let the doctors, nurses etc give you trouble. Mama knows best!

Jodie ~ wife & mama
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
Beth.
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 812
My Mood:
Re: Senstivity to formula?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickshep19 View Post
We had many signs. He had a "crust" even in his eyebrows, strangers would ask what was wrong with him. He screamed quite a bit & was always scratching his face. He was not growing, actually wasn't on the growth chart. He spit up tons even coming out his nose. We tried Regular Enfamil, the Gentlease, Prosobee, Neutramigen, Alimentum (even RTF) & Isomil. Nothing worked. We were seeing many doctors, Allergists ran tests, dermetologists had me change his clothing to all cotton, only washed in F&C detergents. Special lotions & soaps. He even had Barium swallow studies, upper & lower GIs. He was born Nov 16 at 8 lbs 15 oz. Was barely 10 lbs at Easter. We had a bag of Elecare samples & we put him on that. The allergist wanted us to wait until the last test results came back. I decided on Easter that I would wait no longer! Instant improvement. His skin was perfect within a week & the weight started improving. He screamed less, he stopped wearing mittens all the time. We could have tummy time! It got even better when they finally diagnosed him with dysphagia & we began to thicken his formula.

He is now 11 months old & is a tiny but healthy happy baby, in the 25%. He still drinks his Elecare thickened but can eat anything in small amounts. He runs around non-stop. He is just perfect. We never got a diagnosis as to why the Elecare made such an improvement but who cares? He is healthy now!

OP, I hope you find the answers for your baby. Don't let the doctors, nurses etc give you trouble. Mama knows best!

Jodie ~ wife & mama
Yay!! I am so glad the Elecare worked for you!
__________________
Mom to two beautiful girls
Beth. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
PBPMama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 52
My Mood:
Re: Senstivity to formula?

My son had eczema on his face and body. I switched to Alimentum after I quit BF and the eczema cleared up. His reflux also got better. Spitting up is normal, some babies spit up and some don't. I would look for mucousy stools, excessive gas and/or crying and eczema for signs that he has a milk sensitivity.

He has other food allergies now, including wheat, peas and peaches. His eczema flairs when he has any of these.
PBPMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.