Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller

My Mood:
Senstivity to formula?

My DD is 4 weeks old and I'm wondering what signs you'd have if the formula wasn't working for your LO?

DD#1 never spit up but #2 is spitting up a lot after eating. She was eating 120ml but I've lowered that to 100-110ml and still spitting up. If I go less she's still hungry. She also bubbles at the mouth sometimes. Not often, it's only happened 2-3 times.

She's on similac advance, concentrate.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Senstivity to formula?

We had head bobbing, tummy rumbling, lots of gas, spitting up, and he just generally looked like an unhappy fellow. We switched to the Sensitive and mixed it with the Sensitive for Spit Up because he also had bad reflux, and that worked out well for us. We saw a difference in around three days.

It's basically the same price, you could try it pretty easily.
Hungry Caterpillar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar
We had head bobbing, tummy rumbling, lots of gas, spitting up, and he just generally looked like an unhappy fellow. We switched to the Sensitive and mixed it with the Sensitive for Spit Up because he also had bad reflux, and that worked out well for us. We saw a difference in around three days.

It's basically the same price, you could try it pretty easily.
Did you notice the symptoms right away?

I ask because up until 4-5 days ago, she was getting 1/2 BM because I was pumping. But now it's 100% formula. I wonder if she's now showing symptoms because it's all formula?! Ah, so clueless
Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuphoricDysphoria View Post
Did you notice the symptoms right away?

I ask because up until 4-5 days ago, she was getting 1/2 BM because I was pumping. But now it's 100% formula. I wonder if she's now showing symptoms because it's all formula?! Ah, so clueless
Well, I was giving breastmilk too, but not as much bc I didn't produce as much. I did notice it within the first four weeks and more noticeably when it was 100% formula after 4 weeks. This also corresponded though with him being able to move a bit more and not be so blobby so I think the jarring did him in a bit, plus you are naturally less paranoid like they will be broken if you move them too fast after a few weeks, KWIM? But it was also my first child so in hindsight I think I didn't know what was normal and maybe didn't act as fast as I would with another child.
Hungry Caterpillar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

She was curling her legs in screaming in pain and comfort eating an insane amount. But that was a dramatic case. With DS he would vomit up the entire bottle projectile style with a couple brands. With one he just developed a rash.

With both of them, when I put them on the right formula the dramatic symptoms vanished and then they just started improving. DD started eating more and was happier, her silent reflux got a little better. With DS he stopped vomiting and his rash gradually cleared.

I'd perhaps try a sensitive formula with your LO and see what happens. DS did fine with Similac Sensitive. DD had to be moved to Alimentum Ready to Feed, she didn't tolerate the powder or concentrate forms of Nutramigen and Alimentum. It has to be Alimentum Ready to Feed, we tried this last after trying the others.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For my son, he was screaming hysterically. We tried about 6 formulas, and finally settled on Elecare, which was the wonder formula. The screaming magically stopped.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
We had many signs. He had a "crust" even in his eyebrows, strangers would ask what was wrong with him. He screamed quite a bit & was always scratching his face. He was not growing, actually wasn't on the growth chart. He spit up tons even coming out his nose. We tried Regular Enfamil, the Gentlease, Prosobee, Neutramigen, Alimentum (even RTF) & Isomil. Nothing worked. We were seeing many doctors, Allergists ran tests, dermetologists had me change his clothing to all cotton, only washed in F&C detergents. Special lotions & soaps. He even had Barium swallow studies, upper & lower GIs. He was born Nov 16 at 8 lbs 15 oz. Was barely 10 lbs at Easter. We had a bag of Elecare samples & we put him on that. The allergist wanted us to wait until the last test results came back. I decided on Easter that I would wait no longer! Instant improvement. His skin was perfect within a week & the weight started improving. He screamed less, he stopped wearing mittens all the time. We could have tummy time! It got even better when they finally diagnosed him with dysphagia & we began to thicken his formula.

He is now 11 months old & is a tiny but healthy happy baby, in the 25%. He still drinks his Elecare thickened but can eat anything in small amounts. He runs around non-stop. He is just perfect. We never got a diagnosis as to why the Elecare made such an improvement but who cares? He is healthy now!

OP, I hope you find the answers for your baby. Don't let the doctors, nurses etc give you trouble. Mama knows best!

Jodie ~ wife & mama
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickshep19 View Post
We had many signs. He had a "crust" even in his eyebrows, strangers would ask what was wrong with him. He screamed quite a bit & was always scratching his face. He was not growing, actually wasn't on the growth chart. He spit up tons even coming out his nose. We tried Regular Enfamil, the Gentlease, Prosobee, Neutramigen, Alimentum (even RTF) & Isomil. Nothing worked. We were seeing many doctors, Allergists ran tests, dermetologists had me change his clothing to all cotton, only washed in F&C detergents. Special lotions & soaps. He even had Barium swallow studies, upper & lower GIs. He was born Nov 16 at 8 lbs 15 oz. Was barely 10 lbs at Easter. We had a bag of Elecare samples & we put him on that. The allergist wanted us to wait until the last test results came back. I decided on Easter that I would wait no longer! Instant improvement. His skin was perfect within a week & the weight started improving. He screamed less, he stopped wearing mittens all the time. We could have tummy time! It got even better when they finally diagnosed him with dysphagia & we began to thicken his formula.

He is now 11 months old & is a tiny but healthy happy baby, in the 25%. He still drinks his Elecare thickened but can eat anything in small amounts. He runs around non-stop. He is just perfect. We never got a diagnosis as to why the Elecare made such an improvement but who cares? He is healthy now!

OP, I hope you find the answers for your baby. Don't let the doctors, nurses etc give you trouble. Mama knows best!

Jodie ~ wife & mama
Yay!! I am so glad the Elecare worked for you!
Old 11-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
PBPMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son had eczema on his face and body. I switched to Alimentum after I quit BF and the eczema cleared up. His reflux also got better. Spitting up is normal, some babies spit up and some don't. I would look for mucousy stools, excessive gas and/or crying and eczema for signs that he has a milk sensitivity.

He has other food allergies now, including wheat, peas and peaches. His eczema flairs when he has any of these.
PBPMama is offline   Reply With Quote