Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
Candy Lee
Registered Users
seller

Early science?

I was wondering what everyone might do for science for the younger ones? Do you use a curriculum or do you just use daily life experiences (like seasons, weather, human body, etc), or do you not do science at all for early grades?

We use Apologia with our older two boys (which we LOVE, science is our favorite part of the day), and I had planned to use it with my youngest, but it's a little too hard. . . even the junior notebooks seem like they might be for 2nd grade and up, and the actual text in the books is written the same as the books for the older grades, so it's hard for him to understand. He is five, but we are using 1st grade reading and math material for him, and he is right on target with it.

We, of course, often explore all the things around us. . . nature and animals, and we keep a weather chart everyday. If there is something he is interested in, we research all we can. Like all kids his age, he just likes to play and explore! I was just wondering if that seems like enough or if I should do something else with him. We are NOT strict curriculum followers, but I wouldn't mind using a set curriculum. . . I just want to make sure that I am doing all I need to do at this stage. I didn't homeschool my older two until they were in 3rd and 5th grades, so I didn't go through this with them.

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Early science?

We don't formally start science until 2nd grade. Before then it's whatever happens. My kids have stayed with their grandparents on the farm and learned much there about gardens and animals, we talk about the weather, we've watche videos and read books about whatever they are interested in. As the older ones get older, the younger ones sometimes watch and learn with experiments and whatnot.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know that I'd go out and buy a curriculum for the younger b/c then I'd be having to teach 2 sciences (and I'm lazy ). Do you have access to a decent library? I'd probably continue with Apologia for the older 2 and see if I couldn't find some picture books on the same subject and read those as a lesson for the younger and some enrichment/reinforcement if the older boys wanted to join in. The youngest can join in looking at the pictures and listening when/if you read the text aloud. My thought is that at the Kindergarten age mastery isn't as important as being introduced to lots of different things and cultivating an interest in learning.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't bother with science before 1st grade. We read fun science readers, do nature walks and that sort of thing. Of course having an older brother Tharen was following along on science and history a bit earlier but he wasn't doing anything of his own. I use a free life science curriculum for 1st grade but he does need a little help with the writing and I read it to him, he doesn't read it alone.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
Candy Lee
Registered Users
seller

Great, thank you all for the advice and the reassurance. He loves animals and nature in general and just absorbs anything we read about it, so I guess that is good. For some reason, I just panicked a little thinking that I wasn't doing enough. I appreciate you all telling me what you do. . . I feel better now.