Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Social issues with homeschooling?

My kids were in school until this year. I think we are just as "socialized" and way less stressed now that we homeschool. Our get togethers are more fun when we don't have to race home to finish homework or complete mindless projects/busywork. We can go to events that are later in the evening b/c we don't have to get up at 6:30 to be at school at 7:15.

Our current activities include:
DD1: Volleyball, occasional classes at our local nature center, library book club, 4H, and we're trying to talk her into joining the acrchery team at school
DD2: Soccer, Basketball, Volleyball (generally not all at the same time, but there is sometimes overlap of seasons), Robotics, Girl Scouts, 4H (she's doing shooting sports so she can rock the school archery team when she's old enough )
DS: Spring Soccer, story hour and prek 5 mornings a week

Advertisement

2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids were in school until this year. I think we are just as "socialized" and way less stressed now that we homeschool. Our get togethers are more fun when we don't have to race home to finish homework or complete mindless projects/busywork. We can go to events that are later in the evening b/c we don't have to get up at 6:30 to be at school at 7:15.

Our current activities include:
DD1: Volleyball, occasional classes at our local nature center, library book club, 4H, and we're trying to talk her into joining the acrchery team at school
DD2: Soccer, Basketball, Volleyball (generally not all at the same time, but there is sometimes overlap of seasons), Robotics, Girl Scouts, 4H (she's doing shooting sports so she can rock the school archery team when she's old enough )
DS: Spring Soccer, story hour and prek 5 mornings a week
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #13
Brandy1010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimomma
(I'm mobile, excuse any typos)

The way that children are "socialized" in public school is not natural. it inadvertently causes many negative things like peer pressure and encourages things like bullying. homeschool kids are social in a natural way, with people of all ages. School is the only time in your life that you're expected to be friends with a group of people simply because they were born in the same year as you and are from the same town. It just didn't make any sense.

Homeschool kids have ample opportunity to learn social skills. They go to the library, to the grocery store, to the park, on fields trips... The opportunities are endless! AND they aren't expected to "socialize" in an atmosphere where they are stuck in a desk fir the majority of the day and get in trouble for talking.

The socialization argument bothers me more than anything people say about homeschool kids. Yes, you have awkward homeschool kids. There are LOTS if awkward public school kids too. Its a matter of personality, not of whether you learned your social skills in the real world vs. a government institution. that is just asinine.
I hope I didnt offend you by asking! Lol

*I* absolutely understand what you are saying! Thank you all SO much!!! I have a list to "back myself up" now...lol But, after this morning, I think DH "got it"
Brandy1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
Jedimomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh no! Definitely not! I understood what you were asking and feeling! I just hate that we feel wehave to ask that question (and we definitely ALL feel that way sometimes) and that others put us in a position to question ourselves about this.

I love TRADES!
Jedimomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
sunflower83b
Registered Users

I think social issues are a combo of personality trait....my son is very outgoing anyway, and parental modeling of appropriate social skills. A family friend of ours has AWEFUL social skills and is in public school, but his Dad often misses social ques (silences that last too long, not making appropriate eye contact, etc.)

We go to park day with other hs kids weekly, and go on field trips with them. Also, we sign ds up for sports through our city rec center. I always say I am going to involve him in a public/local school club....that just doesn't really happen.

Last edited by sunflower83b; 10-26-2012 at 10:46 AM.
sunflower83b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #16
waldorf and ragamuffins
Registered Users

Taking notes!
waldorf and ragamuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #17
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Well, we have playdates weekly. The older boys are in gymnastics once a week. We go to church on Sundays. They play with each other, visit with Grandparents down the road frequently, play with cousins weekly, and interact with us... They are very social kids and do not know a stranger.

I think a lot has to do with personality and parents. I'm a very social person and bubbly and all that, my kids have seemed to inherit that!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #18
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

If this is still an topic of discussion/concern for him does he like to read? I was all for HSing except had the social concerns and this book converted me. It is so amazing and I love how it covers the socialization topic. Sidenote: my DH was exclusively HS'd and I always thought he seemed so well adjusted and must have gotten that somehow "in spite" of HSing, ha ha. This book showed me it was BECAUSE of HSing that he is so great w/ people and doesn't have the hangups so many have b/c of school:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote