Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Babysitter fees

I know babysitting fees vary greatly from area to area. Tomorrow we have a teenage babysitter coming in to sit with our kids for a long time. For us, it is a long time. She is coming at 4:00 and we likely will not be home before midnight. She has babysat for us at other times, but for much shorter periods of time (afternoon matinee, meetings, etc...). What would you consider paying a teenager for that amount of time (approximately seven-eight hours)? Three kids, but no babies.

Advertisement

Last edited by Geckmumto3; 11-02-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
When our 24 year old college student sitter comes to sit with my 4 yo and 15mo, she comes for 6 hours and we are usually there with her. (We've been painting and stuff to get our house ready for sale) She sometimes takes our car to the museum.

Anyway, we pay her $45 for the 6 hours, which is $7.5. When she travelled out to our new place that is further, I gave her an extra $5.

I would suggest paying her her normal rate per hour, whatever that is, and as long as it's not $15 an hour, give her a bonus for her commitment. (You'll need her again!)
Old 11-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Babysitter fees

Whatever her normal rate is should apply regardless of how many hours she is there. Some sitters might drop their hourly rate for when the children are asleep, but really, they don't have to because well... they're still giving up their time.

We pay $10 an hour for 1 child (2yo). We could find cheaper, but I really like this nanny.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller

We pay our teenage babysitter $5/hr for 2 kids...she will watch them for just a few hrs. We pay our daycare lady $50/day as she watches them 8.5/hrs per day...so id say somewhere in between would be fair.

We thank god for our infertility everyday!!
galesville1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner View Post
When our 24 year old college student sitter comes to sit with my 4 yo and 15mo, she comes for 6 hours and we are usually there with her. (We've been painting and stuff to get our house ready for sale) She sometimes takes our car to the museum.

Anyway, we pay her $45 for the 6 hours, which is $7.5. When she travelled out to our new place that is further, I gave her an extra $5.

I would suggest paying her her normal rate per hour, whatever that is, and as long as it's not $15 an hour, give her a bonus for her commitment. (You'll need her again!)
That's about what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
Whatever her normal rate is should apply regardless of how many hours she is there. Some sitters might drop their hourly rate for when the children are asleep, but really, they don't have to because well... they're still giving up their time.

We pay $10 an hour for 1 child (2yo). We could find cheaper, but I really like this nanny.
I actually thought I should pay her more, not less, because it was so long and late...

Quote:
Originally Posted by galesville1980 View Post
We pay our teenage babysitter $5/hr for 2 kids...she will watch them for just a few hrs. We pay our daycare lady $50/day as she watches them 8.5/hrs per day...so id say somewhere in between would be fair.
We have paid her $5 an hour in the past regardless of how many of the kids are here. We often add a bonus/tip on top.

Last edited by Geckmumto3; 11-02-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we pay our babysitter $2 an hour per child. so we have 3 kids and if we go out for 5 hours then i pay her $30. she lives literally right next store so i don't have to worry about her gas money or anything though
Old 11-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our neighborhood pays $10 per hour. So 4-midnight would be $80. I live in central Indiana, so a low cost of living.

Sadly, we have to have 2 sitters when we go out due to DS's special needs. Evenings out are quite expensive for us.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

How much do you normally pay per hour? I would pay the same rate, maybe add on an extra 5 for the late night
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
From what you've said, I'd give her $50 if you come in later than midnight and the house looks as it should.

Eta I'd go so far as giving her a small task to do once the kids are sleeping. I don't know if that's normal, but it's what I do.

Last edited by danielle; 11-02-2012 at 12:30 PM.
danielle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used to wrap Christmas presents for the people I babysat for. I liked doing it, and it gave me something to do.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote