Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #21
Steph Ed's Avatar
Steph Ed
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Memphis
Posts: 513
My Mood:
Re: QUICK! What do you use bacon grease for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
So yummy to grease your cast iron with it and bake corn bread. (Real corn bread not sweet johnny cake like jiffy.)

You can filter it and save it in the fridge. I'm guilty of doing that. In the south I often saw people just put it in a jelly jar or a metal container and leave it on the stove. I also use it for bean soup. But I happen to think that a little natural animal fat is good on occasion. Your body knows how to process it. (And kiddos need FAT to develop and grow.)
I'm not a fan of jiffy either, but my husband loves it. So, over the years, I have modified the recipe to use buttermilk instead of milk and add chopped onions and it is SOOO good. It totally takes away the sweet taste so now my husband and I are both happy!

Advertisement

Steph Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #22
Southern Momma's Avatar
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,125
My Mood:
Re: QUICK! What do you use bacon grease for?

I always save bacon fat and keep it in the fridge. I use it to season cast iron, rub on potatoes before baking, cook greens in it, add it to dried beans while cooking, grease pans with it, add it to canned veggies while they are simmering.

It's really good to make white gravy with too.

Here's a basic recipe that's really easy and really good:

White Gravy:
1/4 cup bacon grease
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk warm
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoons pepper
2 tablespoons melted butter

Heat bacon grease in a cast iron skillet. Add the flour and whisk until smooth and bubbly about 1 minute. Add the warm milk slowly and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and stir, until thickened, about 5 minutes, adding milk as necessary to control the thickness. Season the gravy with salt and pepper. Serve hot over biscuits.

Easy biscuits:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick very cold butter, grated
3/4 cup milk

Put the stick of butter in freezer for a few minutes so it gets really cold but not frozen. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Using a cheese grater, grate butter into mixture. Use your fingers to lightly mix in the butter until it all begins to look like cornmeal.

Make a well in the flour mixture and slowly add milk into the middle. Gently knead dough with your fingers and add milk when necessary, it needs to be a little sticky but not wet. Roll or pat out dough onto a lightly floured surface to desired thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter or the top of a glass dipped in flour.

Grease the bottom of a cast iron skillet or baking sheet and place biscuits in pan/sheet. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, or until puffed up and golden brown.
__________________
FSOT listings:
Cart cover - $20ppd
Southern Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #23
Kiliki's Avatar
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,397
Re: QUICK! What do you use bacon grease for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrigansMomma View Post
I always save bacon fat and keep it in the fridge. I use it to season cast iron, rub on potatoes before baking, cook greens in it, add it to dried beans while cooking, grease pans with it, add it to canned veggies while they are simmering.

It's really good to make white gravy with too.

Here's a basic recipe that's really easy and really good:

White Gravy:
1/4 cup bacon grease
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk warm
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoons pepper
2 tablespoons melted butter

Heat bacon grease in a cast iron skillet. Add the flour and whisk until smooth and bubbly about 1 minute. Add the warm milk slowly and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and stir, until thickened, about 5 minutes, adding milk as necessary to control the thickness. Season the gravy with salt and pepper. Serve hot over biscuits.

Easy biscuits:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick very cold butter, grated
3/4 cup milk

Put the stick of butter in freezer for a few minutes so it gets really cold but not frozen. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Using a cheese grater, grate butter into mixture. Use your fingers to lightly mix in the butter until it all begins to look like cornmeal.

Make a well in the flour mixture and slowly add milk into the middle. Gently knead dough with your fingers and add milk when necessary, it needs to be a little sticky but not wet. Roll or pat out dough onto a lightly floured surface to desired thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter or the top of a glass dipped in flour.

Grease the bottom of a cast iron skillet or baking sheet and place biscuits in pan/sheet. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, or until puffed up and golden brown.
TYSM!!!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #24
bfuzzy2's Avatar
bfuzzy2
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 978
My Mood:
Re: QUICK! What do you use bacon grease for?

Oh share a good corn bread recipe please! I do not like the sweet kind.
__________________
Kelly sahm to Brady 7/26/05 & Cooper 2/5/07 & Delaina 9/15/08 Andrew born still 11/25/03 at 33 weeks
bfuzzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #25
Southern Momma's Avatar
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,125
My Mood:
Re: QUICK! What do you use bacon grease for?

Quote:
TYSM!!!
You're welcome
__________________
FSOT listings:
Cart cover - $20ppd
Southern Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #26
Southern Momma's Avatar
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,125
My Mood:
Re: QUICK! What do you use bacon grease for?

Quote:
Oh share a good corn bread recipe please! I do not like the sweet kind.
I don't like the sweet kind either. I'm always on the look out for new cornbread recipes. I LOVE cornbread!!!

Here's how I usually make mine:

Cornbread
2 cups self-rising corn meal
4 tablespoons oil, divided
1 1/2 cups buttermilk, approximately
1 egg

Grease a cast iron skillet with 2 TBS oil, heat in 400 degree oven while you mix up batter.
Mix corn meal, remaining oil, egg and buttermilk (start with 1.5 Cups and add a little extra if batter is too thick). Pour batter into hot skillet (it will sizzle and the extra oil you heated in the skillet may kind of puddle around the edges. That's ok, it makes the crust nice and crispy)
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
__________________
FSOT listings:
Cart cover - $20ppd
Southern Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #27
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: GA
Posts: 20,715
My Mood:
Re: QUICK! What do you use bacon grease for?

...a laxative...? That's how it works for me, and is probably why I no longer eat pig bacon either! I am with you, non-animal fats = healthier fats.
__________________
Stephanie wife to Thomas & mom to DD Avery '99, DD Ellison '04, DS Bennett'08, & DS Sullivan 3/11/11
stephcrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #28
MyKylie's Avatar
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3,312
My Mood:
Re: QUICK! What do you use bacon grease for?

Ok I must be weird because I have never even considered saving bacon fat and I've never known anyone to do so.
__________________
Christina

K R M
MyKylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #29
slyfoxy
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 196
Re: QUICK! What do you use bacon grease for?

We don't eat much bacon but when do. I save the bacon grease an put some in our soup beans instead of ham hocks or fix fried tater cakes.

That's about it for us.
slyfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #30
TwistedBranches's Avatar
TwistedBranches
Registered Users
Formerly: MommaCrunch82
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Straddling the border of AZ and NV!
Posts: 1,210
My Mood:
We started saving it to make homemade dog treats! But I have since branched out to use it for seasoning cast iron, bean soups, etc. different types of animal fat have different tastes. Sausage is better than bacon... Unless it is applewood smoked bacon! (and applewood smoked bacon grease with green beans = amazing). We also cook with ghee (clarified butter).
__________________
Taking it one day at a time...
Married to my BFF , living in our cabin in the woods, , semi-homesteading cooking/canning and working too!

Follow me on Pinterest! || Twisted Branches Woodburnings || TwistedBranches WAHM Thread
TwistedBranches is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.