Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #41
new_mommy78
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

I'm new to this forum, but I thought I would jump in and say hi! DH and I got 3 chickens for our kids this summer and we LOVE them....we actually just went back to the "chicken farm" and bought a bigger coop/run and somehow came home with 2 more chickens I didn't think that I would like them as much as I do, but they are great!
I am wondering how to introduce the 2 new girls to the group. The origional 3 are 7months and the new ones are almost 3 months....the guy we got them from seemed to think they would do fine with the bigger girls, but I am just so worried about them...the younger ones are in the smaller coop tonight and the big girls are in the new coop. Any ideas of how to get them to get along would be great!

Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #42
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Welcome! I never thought I'd be "that crazy chicken lady" either but I really love them. LOL How I introduced my hens is, I free ranged them together and then when they were all behaving and not ganging up on anyone (several days) I put the babies in with the big girls. But I have a rooster also, so that smoothed the transition.

Becky, I don't know if you have an incubator yet but if you do, and your roosters were mating the hens your eggs will still be fertile for up to 2-3weeks. I would collect and try hatching a few of your own. That would give you the best results. I know you were thinking of making the foam bator, you should! It was a lot of fun.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #43
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Liz, I'm sooo sorry sweetie. I bet you were so upset. So thegirls are ok? We have a halw issue too, just no close calls yet. GLAD you were out there!

What a PTIC* to get him for an 8th of an inch! I bet he was either new or took the deere for himself! Ray's jaw dropped when I told him. Poor guy! We can't afford the class right now so Rays dad is gonna get the liscense (he's old enough he doesn't have to take the class) and Ray can buy the stamp and hunt with him once. Then next year he can take the class. Please pray if he's able to go he bags something. We NEED it! We counted 5 deere on the land behind our house by the road yesterday.

The 2 that hatched died? I think I let them stay in the egg too long and should have helped. I garentee they were dehydrated? I just don't know. Errr. 2 PERFECT little cochins, 1 was blue. I now has wired a fan in the bator in hopes for better results regarding temp, humid, and hatch time. I got 2 fans out of the puter. I'm rounding up materials bit by bit for the homemade bator.

Becky, we used to do dehorning and things like that at the vet and I can't. I couldn't even consider it for myself. I highly rec those blinders.

New Mommy- Welcome! I found fast I have to steere clear of the chicks, eggs, and chickens, lol. I want them all. Congrats! Can you keep the coops close so they get to know eachother through the fence? Or like Liz did and free range them together? I hav a run that seperates and can close the door. I turn it into two pens and keep the new's on the other side. Be SURE to watch health of the news. I know most don't but I treat all new chickens, and I still ended up with darn scaly leg. I'm currently treating for it now. That is a big age diff and you may have some trouble. When you do take that step and put them together, just know they have to establish the pecking order and some squabbling is normal. It's hard to watch, just keep an eye out for any bad fights or ganging up so you can intervene right away. If you need help, were here. The bigger the # of the news added at once the better. One or two will get ganged up on.

AFM-------------I have a a dang broody. It's mid 20's out and this chick thinks she wants littles, ha. I sure hope she snaps out of it with this cold today!

Oh crud, when I was stabeliseing the temp after installing the fan, I know bad timeing, the temp spiked to 109 for a cpl mins. I hope I caught it fast enough to prevent damage. I also had my first explodeing eggs! ike a gun going off in my hand. Ahhh! Raunchy.

Off to the dentist.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #44
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Welcome! I never thought I'd be "that crazy chicken lady" either but I really love them. LOL .
Haven't really caught up, but aren't we all crazy chicken ladies here?

Old 11-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #45
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No incubator here,,,,not sure how much good that roo was actually doing. He really only liked the little pullet, never did bother the other 7. At least not where I could see.

I just hate the thought of going thru the whole cycle again, I dislike the whole killing of the roos And then now the pecking. Ugh. I really hope to fall in love again with these chicks, and fast. Right now they are as annoying as the puppy that poops on the floor
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #46
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Liz, I'm sooo sorry sweetie. I bet you were so upset. So thegirls are ok? We have a halw issue too, just no close calls yet. GLAD you were out there!

What a PTIC* to get him for an 8th of an inch! I bet he was either new or took the deere for himself! Ray's jaw dropped when I told him. Poor guy! We can't afford the class right now so Rays dad is gonna get the liscense (he's old enough he doesn't have to take the class) and Ray can buy the stamp and hunt with him once. Then next year he can take the class. Please pray if he's able to go he bags something. We NEED it! We counted 5 deere on the land behind our house by the road yesterday.

The 2 that hatched died? I think I let them stay in the egg too long and should have helped. I garentee they were dehydrated? I just don't know. Errr. 2 PERFECT little cochins, 1 was blue. I now has wired a fan in the bator in hopes for better results regarding temp, humid, and hatch time. I got 2 fans out of the puter. I'm rounding up materials bit by bit for the homemade bator.

Becky, we used to do dehorning and things like that at the vet and I can't. I couldn't even consider it for myself. I highly rec those blinders.

New Mommy- Welcome! I found fast I have to steere clear of the chicks, eggs, and chickens, lol. I want them all. Congrats! Can you keep the coops close so they get to know eachother through the fence? Or like Liz did and free range them together? I hav a run that seperates and can close the door. I turn it into two pens and keep the new's on the other side. Be SURE to watch health of the news. I know most don't but I treat all new chickens, and I still ended up with darn scaly leg. I'm currently treating for it now. That is a big age diff and you may have some trouble. When you do take that step and put them together, just know they have to establish the pecking order and some squabbling is normal. It's hard to watch, just keep an eye out for any bad fights or ganging up so you can intervene right away. If you need help, were here. The bigger the # of the news added at once the better. One or two will get ganged up on.

AFM-------------I have a a dang broody. It's mid 20's out and this chick thinks she wants littles, ha. I sure hope she snaps out of it with this cold today!

Oh crud, when I was stabeliseing the temp after installing the fan, I know bad timeing, the temp spiked to 109 for a cpl mins. I hope I caught it fast enough to prevent damage. I also had my first explodeing eggs! ike a gun going off in my hand. Ahhh! Raunchy.

Off to the dentist.
Sarah I'm sorry. Do you think your humidity might be too high? I think the first time I do it I'm going to aim for a drier hatch because I'm worried about them getting too big/drowning.

The fish and game officer showed up at our house yesterday to officially cite J. Since he didn't witness it and the guy that did was new, and technically not "his area", he couldn't write a ticket. It has to go to the DA. Joel said aside from being accused of having buck fever, the guy kept asking him if he was really alone. He said that J dressed out that deer better than he ever had as a seasoned hunter and couldn't believe J did it. What a back handed compliment. One of J's concerns was that the meat would be wasted. It's going to the wolves at the wildlife park right there in the town so at least there's that. I'm just sick with the thought that they could throw the book at him. So much money spent this year, even if J had brought that buck home we would still be out a lot of money. Now it's potentially going to be a lot worse. They could suspend his license for a year if they wanted to. All for following the law and trying to do right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
Haven't really caught up, but aren't we all crazy chicken ladies here?

Yes ma'am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumstoppers View Post
No incubator here,,,,not sure how much good that roo was actually doing. He really only liked the little pullet, never did bother the other 7. At least not where I could see.

I just hate the thought of going thru the whole cycle again, I dislike the whole killing of the roos And then now the pecking. Ugh. I really hope to fall in love again with these chicks, and fast. Right now they are as annoying as the puppy that poops on the floor
I understand. There were points that felt especially long and frustrating with mine and when they were being little jerks and hurting one another I wasn't really sure I liked them either. In fact I felt quite hateful toward the ones that were doing it. Like I said, those plastic blinders were a life saver in my coop. If I were you, I'd put them on everybody. Things will settle down, it just takes time. Have the older girls begun laying again yet? ETA: my offer for eggs isn't an expiring thing, when you are ready to go thru all that again just pm me. I think you're right, starting all over raising chicks right now with little of the reward of having the adult hens will be frustrating.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 11-05-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #47
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Sarah I'm sorry. Do you think your humidity might be too high? I think the first time I do it I'm going to aim for a drier hatch because I'm worried about them getting too big/drowning.

The fish and game officer showed up at our house yesterday to officially cite J. Since he didn't witness it and the guy that did was new, and technically not "his area", he couldn't write a ticket. It has to go to the DA. Joel said aside from being accused of having buck fever, the guy kept asking him if he was really alone. He said that J dressed out that deer better than he ever had as a seasoned hunter and couldn't believe J did it. What a back handed compliment. One of J's concerns was that the meat would be wasted. It's going to the wolves at the wildlife park right there in the town so at least there's that. I'm just sick with the thought that they could throw the book at him. So much money spent this year, even if J had brought that buck home we would still be out a lot of money. Now it's potentially going to be a lot worse. They could suspend his license for a year if they wanted to. All for following the law and trying to do right.

What creeps! I'm so sorry! That dud sounded so new and cocky! Can't believe the other guy didn't let it go though. Are they on some authority high? Just wow.

I do think it was too high. I have kept the fan going and lowered the himidity. next hatch I'm gonna try something simular to the dry method. Just a low humidity till day 18. Something in the range of 30-40, then 65. I will check every egg tonight. The humidity had to be the issue. The eggs matured too slow, which can only mean that they couldn't evaporate at the correct rate. I have it "PERFECT" now. Hope to keep it that way. If I hadn't had that temp spike, I could get some real accurate #'s from this batch. I'm also going to build the other bator and that way I can properly do more than one clutch.

So my broody has 4 under her. She managed to get up once and I was able to glace. She's being very protective. She must have been scopeing out the nest box with the most eggs. Wacky cochin. oh well, let her have them.

I have rockin news!!!! The br's are lettin Solomon get some, sorry mate. I'm so proud of him. The other girls have been givin him the cold sholder is why I say it that way. Poor fella. That means they looked 8 weeks when I got them, but they are actually more like 6-7 months!!!! A hole. Poop poor babies! They are sooooo stinkin big now. just lovely fluffy girls! Poor tink, still small but so much healthier looking and vibrent. She is so happy. She really melts our hearts.

So, I informed Ray the stinkin twin buckeye gals are gone come spring. Dang meanins. I think I'm only gonna keep 1-2 of the br's too. That will make room for the cpl keepers from the chicks.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #48
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

After doing a bit of research I found that Joel was correct, a fork big enough to hold a ring is a fork and it only needs to be one antler! So the guy flat out lied. I'm just going to guess that the guy didn't know what he was doing and his boss is taking advantage of the fact that dh was alone and a new hunter. It really sucks, esp. since we know now it wasn't illegal. But since they have the deer and J hadn't gotten any pics and was alone we have nothing but our word against theirs. So beyond frustrating. That meat would have fed our family through the winter and J's first kill, the pride in that taken from him is what really angers me. Dh talked to some of his work buddies who took his tips and on Friday they hit that area too, they were just on the other side of the ridge from him and saw the same group of deer moving as well. His friend said both the bucks J saw were shooters. Nothing we can do but wait now. *sigh*

Well I have a OLIVE egger?!!! Pretty little Lacey the EE laid her first egg today and it is dark green and speckled brown. I am so tickled about that. So... I've been really bad about counting the eggs and I'm not sure but I think I have 9 or possibly 10 out of the 14 girls laying. I know for sure that both the wyadotte girls haven't laid, the brahma or the partridge rock. They are exactly 23weeks today.

Sarah, I think I'm going to err on the side of possibly too low than high. It all scares me a bit! Good luck with your broody and WOOT! for Solomon being accepted into the flock!

Here's my egg basket today, pretty soon I won't be able to tell them apart.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 11-05-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #49
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
sounds like your rooster throws blue Sarah! Cool. How many chicks do you have now?
Becky just lmk when. I'll need some help with the shipping b/c they'll have to go priority box but I'd be glad to send you straight ee or mixes if you want. Almost lost our speckled sussex norah to a hawk this am. It swooped down just a few feet from me. I was screaming and shooting it with the garden hose. It made one last swipe at her (there were a few running that it was going after) and bit a little chunk of her comb out but left her. I thought for sure she was a goner. Glad I was at least out there to defend her. Just a matter of time in all reality since I do free range them. I don't have the heart to lock them up all day though. I hate this part of chicken keeping. This hasn't been a good weekend. I mentioned once before dh was going deer hunting. He went out again friday and actually did get a buck on Sat morning. He was driving out with it and got stopped by a ranger and when the guy asked to see it he told dh it was an illegal harvest. It was literally a on the fence kill, about 1/8 in short on the hook and the guy wouldn't give it to him. He at least didn't ticket him but all that work and $$ we spent for nothing. What a disappointment. Dh was so excited and eager to get the meat home and properly stored that he didn't get a pic or anything. Just lots of bloody clothing to show for it and a musky jeep. I hate CA sometimes.
Why was it illegal? Sorry a bit confused by that lol I'm in MN and hunting must be very different in CA. Here you buy your license then get in a lottery for a doe permit. Then you can take any size buck or doe here. Some places have size restrictions to help the population out.DH got a doe permit this year, he tries to get a buck the first weekend, then will take a doe the second weekend if the opportunity. arises. Personaly I think doe venisen tastes less gamey.
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #50
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

It's very different. There's so many restrictions that most people honestly avoid hunting here. CA does not issue doe tags and as far as I know, no spike tags either. I know you're going...what but that's stupid! Yes. It is. DH would actually rather have doe tags since we wanted to eat the meat, he could care less about the rack. He said that the does were quite fat and happy up there. One buck per zone is all he can have. I explained a little more in my last post, but it really wasn't illegal the guy was misinformed. Dh took a forked deer on the last weekend of the season. Not an ideal kill, but if you want the meat and it's the last few days you take what you can get. The ranger he tried to get his tag signed off with said that the fork wasn't long enough and took it. Turns out, any fork in the upper 2/3 of the antler even if it's only on one horn is a legal shooter. There's no measurement that you have to meet. The guy classified dh's kill as spiked which defined on their website as a smooth horn all the way to the tip and it wasn't, it had a small fork at the top of each horn. Our word against his though, so we are on the bad end of that deal and have no where to go with it. We just have to take whatever punishment they give him and chalk it up to lesson learned, and this is why most people in CA don't report their kills.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 11-05-2012 at 02:29 PM.