Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
ralenth
Registered Users

Re: Wwyd- ear infection

I'd bring him in. My dd went through a bad series of ear infections, where she wasn't complaining of pain, no fevers, etc., and she had her ear drum rupture twice. You don't really want to go through that. Bring him in, talk to the ped... They may say you can wait a day or two before giving him the antibiotic. I'd still bring him in, though.

Advertisement

ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

It could be, but babies pull their ears when they are teething. It soothes the pain.
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
dudleypippen
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank y'all for the replies and the advice! It didn't occur to me that teething could be the culprit and he has been chewing on that side in tha back lately. I did talk to the pedi today, though, and she made me feel crazy for not rushing him right in. I asked her for the rationale for antibiotics if essentially he's asymptomatic. She gave me a dirty look. It might be time to find another pedi. The babysitter hasn't noticed him pulling on it today, so I think we are going to ride it out, maybe try the breastmilk thing if it continues. Thanks mamas! What did first time moms do before the Internet?!?
Old 11-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The protocol for babies is to treat with antibiotics under the age of 2 or if it is a double infection over the age of 2. I would take baby to be checked. Hearing is very delicate and I wouldn't risk it.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would use chamomile drops and wait it out. Our pediatrician never gave antibiotics for the ear unless it was awful because she said it builds their immune systems and my kids have only been on antibiotics one or two times each. My oldest is 9.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #16
simplyleah87
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahknavy
A few times we thought my son had an ear infection but turns out it was just from teething.
This. if it were an ear infection he would have a fever and would be realllllly cranky and probably not sleep well
Old 11-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #17
ralenth
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyleah87 View Post
This. if it were an ear infection he would have a fever and would be realllllly cranky and probably not sleep well
Not necessarily. My kids have never run fevers with ear infections. And my DDs ear ruptured, she didn't complain, or anything. Playing with her ears, and having a sniffly nose/cold was her only signs.
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #18
simplyleah87
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralenth

Not necessarily. My kids have never run fevers with ear infections. And my DDs ear ruptured, she didn't complain, or anything. Playing with her ears, and having a sniffly nose/cold was her only signs.
My son must be high maintenance! Haha
Old 11-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #19
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

she shouldn't have given you a dirty look - she can look in his ears and tell you in about 5seconds if he has an ear infection. And if there isn't one, then you don't need antibiotics.

I don't even remember getting antibiotics when DD had one at 11 months, but I suppose it's possible they gave us some. I guess I've slept since then. Feel free to try the breastmilk either way - it won't hurt!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Be careful putting anything in your child's ears. If he has an infection and his eardrum ruptures, you could cause a significantly worse infection putting anything into the middle ear space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy View Post
The protocol for babies is to treat with antibiotics under the age of 2 or if it is a double infection over the age of 2. I would take baby to be checked. Hearing is very delicate and I wouldn't risk it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleypippen View Post
Thanks mamas! What did first time moms do before the Internet?!?
They took their advice from their pediatricians and their mothers rather than strangers on the internet.