Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #21
Miss squish
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't make him pay for it or make him feel too badly. But, even accidents can cause harm that may need to be repaired. I might have him give some extra help around the house, a small 6 year old size chore or two, in order to give back to your family after damaging the stove. Restitution not punishment. It might help him feel better about it knowing he did something nice after the mistake.

Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #22
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: DS broke my stovetop :(

I wouldn't make him pay for something that was a simple accident. Like others said, if he was throwing things and it broke it might be totally different. BTW, my MIL's recently broke while cooking with nothing being dropped on it. She just heard a loud pop, and it split multiple ways.

Last edited by hac1224; 11-06-2012 at 09:22 AM.
hac1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #23
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DS broke my stovetop :(

Oh Jen! I so feel your pain!! But, mine was my husband and I'm making him pay for it. We bought brand new double ovens a few months ago. We got an AWESOME deal on them because they were clearance. They are gorgeous with a gorgeous blue interior and have every option there possibly is for double ovens. We never could have afforded them if he hadn't found them on clearance. (He came home from Lowes one night at about 9:30pm and said, I bought you a present! New ovens!! And showed me a pic on his phone. I didn't believe him because it's so out of the ordinary even though we really needed them and I was really wanting them. It was very sweet. ) My husband put aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven when he was cooking a pizza right on the rack to catch and cheese. He didn't realize he was also putting the foil right on the heating element because it is hidden under there. The foil just about caught fire and completely melted onto the bottom. It will NOT come off. We even called the manufacturer to ask for help. They told us it wouldn't come off. My beautiful oven is no longer beautiful. He is probably going to replace the inner lining to get rid of it. Luckily for us, it's just cosmetic. I would be beyond devastated if we couldn't use the upper oven anymore. So, I can imagine how upset you are.

I wouldn't have him pay for it though. And, my kids do the same to get cups out of the cabinet. Maybe put the dishes on the counter the night before so they don't have to climb.

Also, my mom's cooktop cracked with nothing being dropped on it. She had to replace it because it was about a month out of warranty. It happens.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 11-06-2012 at 11:42 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote