Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
TexasMelanie's Avatar
TexasMelanie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,876
My Mood:
Crochet Baby Doll - Thoughts Needed - New Pics Added

Hello Mamas!

Here is a baby doll that I've made for my daughter and I want to start making these for my store.





I have a few questions for you. Any thoughts are appreciated!

1. I've stitched the eyes on this doll. Do you prefer stitched eyes like this or would you rather have some kind of baby doll safety eye instead?

2. I was thinking of having the doll available as well as additional outfits (a pair of overalls, a dress, etc). Do you think you would be more inclined to buy the baby if there were outfits?

3. There is another pattern where the body includes the legs. Would you find the doll cuter if it had legs as opposed to just the cuddle baby like the above?

4. Right now I'm thinking $25.00 for the doll, $30.00 for the doll and a hat, $35.00 for the doll, a hat and an additional outfit. What do you think about these prices from a fellow crafter's standpoint? Too high? Too low?

TIA!!!

EDITED:
New pictures added. I added hair to my daughter's doll, a little blanket and also a pair of overalls that can be taken off and on. Also a picture of my DD holding her - my DD will be 2 in January.




Advertisement

__________________
~ Melanie ~
Loving wife to D and mommy to DS 11/10/2005 (ASD) and DD (01/06/2011)
Check out my Christian Romance Novel
Calming the Storm

Last edited by TexasMelanie; 11-07-2012 at 07:03 PM.
TexasMelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
jesajane
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 246
My Mood:
Re: Crochet Baby Doll - Thoughts Needed

I think your doll is adorable!
1. I like the eyes stitched on.
2. Having more clothes wouldn't increase my odds of buying it. But having dolls with different outfits might. Meaning: I might be more incline to buy the doll for my son if it had overalls.
3. I like the cuddle doll. No legs necessary.
4. How big is the doll? The price would be a little steep for me, but if it was a bigger doll, I might spring for it. 10"? 12"?
jesajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
itiswhatitis1984's Avatar
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 499
My Mood:
I love this doll!! We find out Friday if we are having a girl or boy & I'd love to get one if we have a little girl!! I'd rather have legs. I love the stitched eyes. Personally I would use this for a younger child so I wouldn't be interested in extra outfits. However I love the idea of picking from a couple of different outfits. I think the price is on the higher side but I also realize how much work goes into making this type of doll. Considering that I would consider getting it as a special gift
itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
TexasMelanie's Avatar
TexasMelanie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,876
My Mood:
Re: Crochet Baby Doll - Thoughts Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesajane View Post
I think your doll is adorable!
1. I like the eyes stitched on.
2. Having more clothes wouldn't increase my odds of buying it. But having dolls with different outfits might. Meaning: I might be more incline to buy the doll for my son if it had overalls.
3. I like the cuddle doll. No legs necessary.
4. How big is the doll? The price would be a little steep for me, but if it was a bigger doll, I might spring for it. 10"? 12"?
Thank you! This doll is about 9" tall though I could use a larger hook and make it bigger. That makes sense about the outfits. I appreciate your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itiswhatitis1984 View Post
I love this doll!! We find out Friday if we are having a girl or boy & I'd love to get one if we have a little girl!! I'd rather have legs. I love the stitched eyes. Personally I would use this for a younger child so I wouldn't be interested in extra outfits. However I love the idea of picking from a couple of different outfits. I think the price is on the higher side but I also realize how much work goes into making this type of doll. Considering that I would consider getting it as a special gift
Thank you for your feedback and congratulations on your baby! I'm sure you are so excited about Friday - good luck! I think that picking from different outfits is a good idea. So far I'm really liking the swaddle look better just because clothing is easier and all but I am going to try a doll with legs here in the next week to see how I like it. In the future if you are interested at all I would love to make your little one a baby doll!
__________________
~ Melanie ~
Loving wife to D and mommy to DS 11/10/2005 (ASD) and DD (01/06/2011)
Check out my Christian Romance Novel
Calming the Storm
TexasMelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #5
Sarah-B's Avatar
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMelanie
Hello Mamas!

Here is a baby doll that I've made for my daughter and I want to start making these for my store.

I have a few questions for you. Any thoughts are appreciated!

1. I've stitched the eyes on this doll. Do you prefer stitched eyes like this or would you rather have some kind of baby doll safety eye instead?

2. I was thinking of having the doll available as well as additional outfits (a pair of overalls, a dress, etc). Do you think you would be more inclined to buy the baby if there were outfits?

3. There is another pattern where the body includes the legs. Would you find the doll cuter if it had legs as opposed to just the cuddle baby like the above?

4. Right now I'm thinking $25.00 for the doll, $30.00 for the doll and a hat, $35.00 for the doll, a hat and an additional outfit. What do you think about these prices from a fellow crafter's standpoint? Too high? Too low?

TIA!!!
Hi I love this doll!!!

1 I like the eyes
2 nothing additional for clothing but maybe you can add a few stitches yellow or brown yarn on the top of the forehead in brown or yellow so it has a little hair. Not hair that dangles but just a little bit. Also for a boy doll you can make the body blue
3 I do like the leg option because then babies can grab doll better. Maybe you can crochet a little blanket in the babies hand that way it is attached and will not be lost
4 I think the pricing should go as follows
Doll like the one pictured $20
Doll like the one pictured w/a (doll sized) blanket attached $25
Doll like the one pictured but with legs $25
like the one pictured w/ legs w/a (doll sized) blanket attached $30

GREAT JOB!!! It is so beautiful!!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #6
ARogers
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,375
Re: Crochet Baby Doll - Thoughts Needed

The doll is beautiful!
1. I really like the eyes closed
2. I don't think other available outfits would make me buy the doll but it would be nice if you had other options as pp mentioned (overalls, different gown color).
3. I like the doll without legs for younger ones, but I think an option with legs would be nice for older kids (we have doll CDs that could be used on it).
4. I would purchase the doll pictured for $20 and go up from there depending on the add-ons.
__________________
Loving wife to C SAHM to I 08/23 and M 06/06
ARogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
daddyn4wisechix's Avatar
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,963
My Mood:
Re: Crochet Baby Doll - Thoughts Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMelanie View Post

1. I've stitched the eyes on this doll. Do you prefer stitched eyes like this or would you rather have some kind of baby doll safety eye instead?

2. I was thinking of having the doll available as well as additional outfits (a pair of overalls, a dress, etc). Do you think you would be more inclined to buy the baby if there were outfits?

3. There is another pattern where the body includes the legs. Would you find the doll cuter if it had legs as opposed to just the cuddle baby like the above?

4. Right now I'm thinking $25.00 for the doll, $30.00 for the doll and a hat, $35.00 for the doll, a hat and an additional outfit. What do you think about these prices from a fellow crafter's standpoint? Too high? Too low?

TIA!!!
1. LOVE the doll!! The eyes are adorable!!!

2. I think extra outfits are a great idea... maybe you could sell it as a layette for one purchase option (as opposed to buying the doll alone). I agree w/a PP, if a doll would look more boyish (overalls), I'd be more likely to buy it for my DS too.

3. I think this is just too cute... I think younger kiddos would LOVE this... but having kids of a wide age range myself, I can say that I think if you want to broaden your market, I'd maybe offer both options (cuddle baby & a baby w/legs) as older kids like legs, or at least mine do... they like to set their babies in high chairs, strollers, etc. & w/out legs they just flop over ... & that causes frustration... at least in my house it does... now the cuddle babies are set aside for the baby & the toddler opts for babies w/legs as do the older kiddos.

4. I agree w/others to start at $20 & go up from there.
__________________
><> + <>< wife & mama to a handful of blessings -- ...living the mostly CRUNCHY life --- my IHA/ISO!!
daddyn4wisechix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
TexasMelanie's Avatar
TexasMelanie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,876
My Mood:
Re: Crochet Baby Doll - Thoughts Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B View Post
Hi I love this doll!!!

1 I like the eyes
2 nothing additional for clothing but maybe you can add a few stitches yellow or brown yarn on the top of the forehead in brown or yellow so it has a little hair. Not hair that dangles but just a little bit. Also for a boy doll you can make the body blue
3 I do like the leg option because then babies can grab doll better. Maybe you can crochet a little blanket in the babies hand that way it is attached and will not be lost
4 I think the pricing should go as follows
Doll like the one pictured $20
Doll like the one pictured w/a (doll sized) blanket attached $25
Doll like the one pictured but with legs $25
like the one pictured w/ legs w/a (doll sized) blanket attached $30

GREAT JOB!!! It is so beautiful!!
I appreciate all of your feedback, thank you! I loved the idea of the little crochet blanket so I did make one and added it to my daughter's doll. I like your price breakdown, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARogers View Post
The doll is beautiful!
1. I really like the eyes closed
2. I don't think other available outfits would make me buy the doll but it would be nice if you had other options as pp mentioned (overalls, different gown color).
3. I like the doll without legs for younger ones, but I think an option with legs would be nice for older kids (we have doll CDs that could be used on it).
4. I would purchase the doll pictured for $20 and go up from there depending on the add-ons.
Thank you for your thoughts on my doll. The colors would almost always could be chosen by the customer so gown color, eyes, hair, etc.

Good point on the cloth diapers for it if it had legs. I like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyn4wisechix View Post
1. LOVE the doll!! The eyes are adorable!!!

2. I think extra outfits are a great idea... maybe you could sell it as a layette for one purchase option (as opposed to buying the doll alone). I agree w/a PP, if a doll would look more boyish (overalls), I'd be more likely to buy it for my DS too.

3. I think this is just too cute... I think younger kiddos would LOVE this... but having kids of a wide age range myself, I can say that I think if you want to broaden your market, I'd maybe offer both options (cuddle baby & a baby w/legs) as older kids like legs, or at least mine do... they like to set their babies in high chairs, strollers, etc. & w/out legs they just flop over ... & that causes frustration... at least in my house it does... now the cuddle babies are set aside for the baby & the toddler opts for babies w/legs as do the older kiddos.

4. I agree w/others to start at $20 & go up from there.
Thank you! That is a good idea about broadening my market by making two types of dolls so that they would appeal to different ages. I made a pair of overalls and put the photo on the first post and of course they can always be made to look like a pair of boy overalls and the baby like a boy!
__________________
~ Melanie ~
Loving wife to D and mommy to DS 11/10/2005 (ASD) and DD (01/06/2011)
Check out my Christian Romance Novel
Calming the Storm
TexasMelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
daddyn4wisechix's Avatar
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,963
My Mood:
Re: Crochet Baby Doll - Thoughts Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARogers View Post
3. I like the doll without legs for younger ones, but I think an option with legs would be nice for older kids (we have doll CDs that could be used on it).
I am such a dork... I didn't even notice you mentioned legs for older kiddos in the post right before I did ! We'll attribute that to mama mush brain! LOL

I LOVE the idea of a CD if the doll had legs... we have dolls we use CDs on too... very good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMelanie View Post
Thank you! That is a good idea about broadening my market by making two types of dolls so that they would appeal to different ages. I made a pair of overalls and put the photo on the first post and of course they can always be made to look like a pair of boy overalls and the baby like a boy!
Oh man, those overalls are ADORABLE!!!!! And your DD is beautiful too!!!!!

Custom eye color, etc. are FANTASTIC selling points... I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the hair tuft... too cute!!!

Now take this FWIW coming from a mama of kids w/darker hair (light brownish) & it is not meant to offend mamas of blonde DC, of course, but it gets very irritating not to be able to find any dolls (besides ones like AG that cost $105+) w/brownish hair... every doll we find is BLONDE ... even my kids are getting more & more disappointed... for you to offer a doll w/features mamas can personalize, it would be a great selling point!

Beautiful work!!
__________________
><> + <>< wife & mama to a handful of blessings -- ...living the mostly CRUNCHY life --- my IHA/ISO!!
daddyn4wisechix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
grannypatti
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gulf Coast TX
Posts: 5
Re: Crochet Baby Doll - Thoughts Needed - New Pics Added

Cute doll, but a little steep for me. I would do $15, but with 8 granddaughters, I would have trouble doing $15 anyway, lol.
grannypatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.