Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2012, 01:02 AM   #11
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I used it vaginally at night with my last baby. Three capsules before bed. She was my easiest labor yet, though none have been rough. Active, contracting labor was about 20 minutes. I am sure it had something to do with the EPO softening my cervix. I started it around 37 weeks because, for a lot of personal and complicated reasons that had nothing to do with being tired of being pregnant, it was time for her to be born. She was born at 38+1.

For people other than the OP that might read this, I wouldn't start it until 37 weeks, though, because I really believe it helps move things along.

It's messy, but such a gentle and easy way to help things along.

OP, eat a fresh pineapple. As much of it as you can muster. Not canned. That always results in a baby in less than 12 hours for me.

Advertisement

Last edited by L J; 10-29-2012 at 01:06 AM.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: evening primrose oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
OP, eat a fresh pineapple. As much of it as you can muster. Not canned. That always results in a baby in less than 12 hours for me.
Bromelain, a chemical in pineapple is most concentrated in the skin of a pineapple. Good luck chewing on that LOL

Again even if you are 100% effaced you can still be 1cm and high. Even if you are dialted and effaced, if you aren't contracting it's pointless. You cant force your body into labor. Labor begins when baby is ready, not our bodies. Sometimes our bodies are ready weeks before baby is born.

How Does Labor Begin Naturally?
Up until recently very little was known about how natural labors actually begin. Scientists knew that the release of oxytocin resulted in both uterine contractions and milk production. Pioneering research by scientists at Cornell University, the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, and the University of Auckland, New Zealand, suggests that it's the baby's brain that initiates birth.47

These researchers discovered a pea-sized region of the fetal sheep brain called the , which actually serves as a biosensor designed to trigger the events leading to a birth. Two hormones, corticol and adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), reach peak levels in the fetal bloodstream just before birth. Peter W. Nathaniels of Cornell University suggests that the "fetal brain may act as a tiny monitor, tracking its own development."48 When the baby is ready for birth, the paraventricular nucleus signals the fetal pituitary gland to increase ACTH secretion. The pituitary, in turn, tells the fetal adrenal gland to secrete more cortisol. These hormonal increases cause changes in the mother's hormones, including the release of oxytocin, which lead to uterine contractions. Because scientists speculate that a malfunction of the fetal biosensor may account for early or late births, this research may prove helpful in the future, both to stop premature labor or to effectively induce a truly postmature pregnancy.

All of the currently available methods of inducing labor bypass this important first step of fetal paraventricular nucleus biosensor interaction between the hormonal systems of both mother and baby.
SOURCE - Let the Baby Decide: The Case Against Inducing Labor
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
cali4niachef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
boekesec
Registered Users
Formerly E***n
seller

I used EPO vaginally the last 3-4 weeks of this pregnancy - 2 capsules before bed (wear a pantiliner!) My understanding is that it does not actually cause labor to start any sooner, but it helps your cervix soften so that when you do go into labor things will thin out and dilate easier. When I went into labor at 40wks+2d I did thin out and dilate very quickly, so I think it helped.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #14
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I had used evening primrose oil pills orally to help get pregnant is all.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #15
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I still have 200 capsules or so of evening primrose oil pills.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #16
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4niachef View Post
Bromelain, a chemical in pineapple is most concentrated in the skin of a pineapple. Good luck chewing on that LOL

Again even if you are 100% effaced you can still be 1cm and high. Even if you are dialted and effaced, if you aren't contracting it's pointless. You cant force your body into labor. Labor begins when baby is ready, not our bodies. Sometimes our bodies are ready weeks before baby is born.

How Does Labor Begin Naturally?
Up until recently very little was known about how natural labors actually begin. Scientists knew that the release of oxytocin resulted in both uterine contractions and milk production. Pioneering research by scientists at Cornell University, the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, and the University of Auckland, New Zealand, suggests that it's the baby's brain that initiates birth.47

These researchers discovered a pea-sized region of the fetal sheep brain called the , which actually serves as a biosensor designed to trigger the events leading to a birth. Two hormones, corticol and adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), reach peak levels in the fetal bloodstream just before birth. Peter W. Nathaniels of Cornell University suggests that the "fetal brain may act as a tiny monitor, tracking its own development."48 When the baby is ready for birth, the paraventricular nucleus signals the fetal pituitary gland to increase ACTH secretion. The pituitary, in turn, tells the fetal adrenal gland to secrete more cortisol. These hormonal increases cause changes in the mother's hormones, including the release of oxytocin, which lead to uterine contractions. Because scientists speculate that a malfunction of the fetal biosensor may account for early or late births, this research may prove helpful in the future, both to stop premature labor or to effectively induce a truly postmature pregnancy.

All of the currently available methods of inducing labor bypass this important first step of fetal paraventricular nucleus biosensor interaction between the hormonal systems of both mother and baby.
SOURCE - Let the Baby Decide: The Case Against Inducing Labor
I love both of your posts and totally agree.

No woman should be told that she has to deliver by her EDD unless there are real health issues that indicate a problem, and if that is the case...then no one would be waiting around until the EDD.
It's different, imo, if the mother says "I have done the research and don't feel comfortable going past so and so date." or, "my instincts tell me that having this baby earlier is better". But to me, a care provider should not make that decision FOR the mother unless the mother is simply incapable of making it herself.

My second was a week overdue, and baby was in a great position, at 0 station, 3 cm dilated and 75% effaced for at least 4 days before birth, and 8 hours before he was born. According to all of that "data", baby was ready to be born and there was no reason to be overdue. I tried several things to start labor, but nothing worked at all. I learned from experience that babies come when they are ready. When he decided he was ready, it only took about 2.5 hours.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #17
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
I love both of your posts and totally agree.

No woman should be told that she has to deliver by her EDD unless there are real health issues that indicate a problem, and if that is the case...then no one would be waiting around until the EDD.
It's different, imo, if the mother says "I have done the research and don't feel comfortable going past so and so date." or, "my instincts tell me that having this baby earlier is better". But to me, a care provider should not make that decision FOR the mother unless the mother is simply incapable of making it herself.

My second was a week overdue, and baby was in a great position, at 0 station, 3 cm dilated and 75% effaced for at least 4 days before birth, and 8 hours before he was born. According to all of that "data", baby was ready to be born and there was no reason to be overdue. I tried several things to start labor, but nothing worked at all. I learned from experience that babies come when they are ready. When he decided he was ready, it only took about 2.5 hours.
Right, huge difference if the woman is making an informed education decision based on evidence based medicine rather than being pressured by her HCP just "because".

With my last I had serious pressure for weeks, it was just insane. At 41wks my MW checked the station of engagement, especially since she lived 1.5hrs away and I have precipitous births. HE was at +4 station, I was also dilated & effaced!!! I had no idea such a thing was physically possible and he still wasnt born for a few more days later. Babies are born when they are ready.
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
cali4niachef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #18
Momma2theJs
Registered Users
seller

WOW it irritates me when people copy and paste from websites. We can find websites ourselves, we come here for personal experience and mommy advice! Sorry to vent, Ugh.

So from personal experience. I used EPO only inserted at bedtime and it DEFINITELY helped. I went from nothing to 2.5cm when I started it!
Momma2theJs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #19
beermathmama
Registered Users

I used it but I don't think I did it enough. I only remembered to start taking it at 39 weeks and only took one pill per night vaginally. I don't think it helped but I will try it again and start earlier and do more of it.
beermathmama is offline   Reply With Quote