Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's official, ladies!

Miss Emersyn will be our 6th and final baby. Dh had the Vasectomy done Friday. I was able to sit by his side & "observe" and I am extremely impressed with the doctor and the simplicity of the procedure. They did it right there in the Drs office and we were there MAYBE 30 minutes. The procedure itself took 5-10 minutes. Dh covered his eyes and stuck his thumbs in his ears so he couldn't see or hear anything, lol. Poor guy was terrified but he now says it was no big deal at all. This was his very first procedure of any sort, ever. Other than routine childhood immunizations, he's never dealt with needles much less surgery... combine that with the location of the surgery, you can imagine how scared he was. The doctor was amazing, explained everything he was doing (to me, since Dh had his ears plugged) and was very understanding of Dh's obvious nerves. The actual puncture he made to get to the Vas was soo tiny it didn't require stitches or even a bandage afterwards. It bled no more than a tiny paper cut. Insane! He lounged around on the couch all weekend with an ice bag on his bits. He said most of the pain was in his tummy from where they have to pull on the tube, but he said it wasn't too bad. Today he is at school, just sent him a text to see how he is and he said he feels perfectly fine.

We've been blessed beyond belief and I am extremely thankful, but I am also very content & happy with the fact this will be our last pregnancy & baby. We now feel complete and it's a great feeling.

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Glad it went well!

A while back DH had to do wound care at the surgery clinic on our base. He had to go in twice a day to have the wound cleaned and wrapped. One day was V day. Those men were in and out in 5 minutes! When he all sat in the waiting room like sad pandas...lol! Men can not handle pain!

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: It's official, ladies!

My DH will be getting this done after this baby is born. We are nearly sure this is our last. Four, for us, is a lot, considering we have very little help with them and we have unsupportive family. Plus, DH was done 2 kids ago. LOL.

What made you decide to do the procedure now versus after the baby was born?

I would like DH's done sooner rather than later, but we both have a worry that if (God forbid) something were to happen to this baby, we would want the option of having another. So we are thinking we will wait until after the birth, and after we see the baby is healthy. (we have no reason to think this won't be a healthy baby, so I wonder if this is an irrational fear?)

Anyway, I am on the same page as you. I am SO excited to be *done* having babies. I know part of me will always miss this stage in my life, having little ones, having a newborn, even the diapers and midnight feedings. And sometimes that makes me sad. But overall I am just ready to move on and enjoy watching my kids grow up!

congrats mama. Glad it is over and your DH is feeling better! How awesome you got to sit in and watch!!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
sterlids
Registered Users
seller

yep they don't take long at all. super fast and easy procedure. i assisted with quite a few while i was working in family practice at our last base. healing time is usually about 3 days so they always try to do them on thursdays so you can take friday off and then have the weekend to feel better. i just have to talk my hubby into having it done. i want us to double up and he have the v and me have the tubal. we are good with two kiddos and no more surprises .
Old 11-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
My x had it done and said it was easy and best 500 bucks he ever spent

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post

What made you decide to do the procedure now versus after the baby was born?
There were a few factors contributing to our decision to do it now vs. after the baby is born.

1) Our deductible & OOP maximum are paid for the year, so the procedure was covered entirely by insurance.

2) Dh is a Union Carpenter, still an apprentice so he has to go to school once every 6 mos for a week at a time. We figured the perfect time so he wouldn't have to miss work or jump back into hard labor too soon would be the Friday before school. That way he had all weekend to recover, then a week of sitting behind a desk.

3) We figured if we got it out of the way now, then we will probably have both of his SA's done to make sure it worked and he is sterile prior to the baby being born if not around the time the baby is born, therefore we won't have to worry about any b/c, condoms, or accidental pregnancies. I do breastfeed but I have gotten pregnant with 3 of my kiddos within 6mos while exclusively breastfeeding on demand. I hate b/c and he hates condoms.. LOL.

We decided in June that we finally felt complete with the 5 LO's we had. I almost got a tubal after Londyn was born, but it was "spur of the moment" and we decided we should wait and not make that kind of decision after I had just given birth and was hormonal & emotional, lol. So we've been discussing him getting a Vasectomy and thinking really long, hard, and seriously about it for the past 2.5yrs. We both wanted to make sure we were BOTH ready to be "done." So in June we finally decided we are indeed content with our family and we would schedule his Vasectomy as soon as we hear when his next week of school is. Lo & behold, I got a BFP maybe a week after we made the decision.. LOL. We were excited & thrilled no less. Then we started discussing whether he should still go through w/ the procedure while I'm pregnant, what if something went wrong with LO6, etc. We talked about it frequently for the 4mos before we got his notice saying he had school and we decided that we felt it was the right decision regardless. Of course we want our 6th baby to be born just as healthy as her sisters & brothers, but in the event that God forbid something does go wrong, we are both 100% sure we wouldn't want to persue another pregnancy. So that's how we came to our decision. It definitely wasn't one we took lightly, lol.

So an update. He chilled on the couch all weekend with his ice bag. Monday it was time for him to go to school. He woke up & felt great. Felt great most of the day at school, though towards the end of the day he started getting a little sore so when he got home I had him take some Ibuprofen & park it on the couch with his ice packs. Tuesday he went to school again and he was pain free all day. He came home Tuesday night and was back into his usual routine. He helped with dinner, giving the kids baths, laundry, etc.. the whole time I kept asking him if his "boys" felt okay because I didn't want him to over do it. 4 days post V and he was perfectly fine. No pain at all. He had no swelling (thanks to the ice bag which he had sitting in his lap almost constantly.) and the burising was very, very minimal. Again yesterday he was fine, completely pain free, and back to hsi usual routine. I am EXTREMELY impressed by the simplicity of this procedure and I can't stress how thankful & grateful I am that he decided to go through with it so I didn't have to have a tubal. He was SO nervous about the procedure (pain) so I know it was nerve racking for him, but he did it anyhow and we were both totally surprised by the quick recovery.