Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #151
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Gender thread!

It's considered tacky/frowned upon here to have another shower if you're having another child relatively close to the last. Personally, it doesn't bother me. Usually you see a second shower if the the baby is coming 6 or 7 years after the last one. That's just the way it is around here.

Advertisement

TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #152
Maeve Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donthaveaclue View Post
I had never heard the whole "multiple showers is tacky" thing until about a year ago and I thought it was so odd. I have family who have had 4 kids and 4 showers and a friend who had 5 kids and 4 showers (one set of twins). I always enjoy the showers and feel like they are for the baby not the parents. Why are you against multiple showers? We have had memebers at our church who were against having a 2nd shower for their own pregnancies and our members still wanted to do things for them and bought them gifts anyway. I wonder if it depends on where you live because not having a shower with every baby was unheard of until I moved.

For me the reason for a baby shower is to celebrate the women becoming a mother and the baby. Gifts are giving for the baby and it's a very special time. After a first child is born you are already are a mother and you most likely already have most of the baby stuff you need for a second baby. When a second or third child is born friends and family can then feel free to bring a gift when they come to meet the baby if they feel the need- but it's not mandatory like it would be if they were invited to a baby shower. For me it's just too much and I don't need all that stuff.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #153
sterlids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS8213 View Post
It's considered tacky/frowned upon here to have another shower if you're having another child relatively close to the last. Personally, it doesn't bother me. Usually you see a second shower if the the baby is coming 6 or 7 years after the last one. That's just the way it is around here.
yeah i'm hoping for a baby shower of some sort. we'll just need clothes and toys and such but it would be nice since she is coming 6 yrs after her brother.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #154
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlids

yeah i'm hoping for a baby shower of some sort. we'll just need clothes and toys and such but it would be nice since she is coming 6 yrs after her brother.
This baby is coming 6 yrs later, too. I'm still not expecting anything.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using DS Forum
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #155
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Popping in to say we saw parts popping out! We're on team BOY!

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #156
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donthaveaclue View Post
I had never heard the whole "multiple showers is tacky" thing until about a year ago and I thought it was so odd. I have family who have had 4 kids and 4 showers and a friend who had 5 kids and 4 showers (one set of twins). I always enjoy the showers and feel like they are for the baby not the parents. Why are you against multiple showers? We have had memebers at our church who were against having a 2nd shower for their own pregnancies and our members still wanted to do things for them and bought them gifts anyway. I wonder if it depends on where you live because not having a shower with every baby was unheard of until I moved.
I think it is odd when shower are denied to mothers. You don't have to do gifts, it is just fun to get together and celebrate a new life! I personally am really looking forward to this shower. I missed mine with the twins because they were born so early. Oh and I have a point for gifts and second showers - most of our stuff did NOT survive the twins. They destroyed everything in their path even though this is girl #3 we need a bunch of stuff and it would be super nice if we didn't have to buy it all this time like we did with the twins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcess721 View Post
YAY!!! Another for team blue, congrats mama
Old 11-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #157
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

All this shower talk, a confession: This is my 6th baby and I've never had a shower. People have asked to host one for me, and I ask them not to. Strange, eh? I have a bit of social anxiety disorder and I get really antsy and uncomfortable when I'm the "center of attention" in crowds so the whole idea makes me uncomfortable. Of course family & close friends have brought gifts when they come see the baby for the first time which doesn't bother me so much, but I just never was able to bring myself to have a shower. :/
Old 11-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #158
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcess721
Congrats!!
Old 11-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #159
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajewels
All this shower talk, a confession: This is my 6th baby and I've never had a shower. People have asked to host one for me, and I ask them not to. Strange, eh? I have a bit of social anxiety disorder and I get really antsy and uncomfortable when I'm the "center of attention" in crowds so the whole idea makes me uncomfortable. Of course family & close friends have brought gifts when they come see the baby for the first time which doesn't bother me so much, but I just never was able to bring myself to have a shower. :/
I feel you on the social anxiety. My first shower was so awkward because there were people there I am not that close to. Uncomfortable!! But still appreciated. It was a surprise shower, so I had no idea it would be so big.

The 2nd shower was much less awkward because it was more casual and only my closest friends and our parents. Very intimate.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #160
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcess721
Congrats!!

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote