Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
purplesue
Registered Users

PPD how do you price diapers?

I notice a lot of people include shipping in their price on FSOT. How do you decide your price and make sure you get back your expenses without making the diaper seem really expensive for a used diaper. I would love to have someone walk me through their thought process for setting a price. I'm not sure how to think about this.

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: PPD how do you price diapers?

alot of diapers get priced depending on demand/condition and going prices. pockets cost about $2 to ship, if you get a digital scale it's much easier, i go to the post office to weigh my stuff still but i come home and save by printing my label through pp where d/c is alot cheaper than the post office at .18 instead of .75 for first class.
once you are able to weigh the item, you can find out from the oz how much shipping will cost, and then decide on your price you'd like to pocket after its mailed out WITH delivery confirmation. most of us sell cheap and lose out on some money when selling diapers and stuff but i know for me i have also come across soem VERY good deals so it pretty much evens itself out for me

Last edited by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox; 08-13-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

Hi!
For me, I look to see what the 'going rate' is for a diaper in 'X' condition on the FSOT boards first. Then, I think about how much I bought the diaper for (was it new or used when I got it?) and how the condition has changed since I've had it (stains, wear, elastic issues, etc) and take off money accordingly.
For the PPD to figure into it, I'm mailing things pretty regularly around here so I weigh the packaging and the diaper and if its 3 oz, I know that it won't cost more than ~$2 to mail (I think, the new mail rates mess with me sometimes!)

Heavier diapers cost more to mail, so you get less money back when you sell them, unless you account for that in your price.
A lot of the time, I end up eating it a little bit with the postage and not getting as much for the diaper as I'd have liked, but having some money for a diaper I'm not using is better than having NO money for that diaper, or that's what I tell myself anyway.
HTH some.
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
purplesue
Registered Users

Thanks! It really helps to know your thought process.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
Axanthia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Im kinda arbitrary about it. I generally lose money honestly because I charge what the 'going' rate is online for things or less and include shipping in the total because it makes it more likely to sell. I just assume I am going to lose 10-20% off the top for shipping and PP fees no matter what, so I just suck it up and move on, because no matter what I paid for the dipe, it is only worth what someone else will pay for it now. And as stated earlier, better to make some money than none at all on a dipe you don't use.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:26 PM   #6
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axanthia View Post
Im kinda arbitrary about it. I generally lose money honestly because I charge what the 'going' rate is online for things or less and include shipping in the total because it makes it more likely to sell. I just assume I am going to lose 10-20% off the top for shipping and PP fees no matter what, so I just suck it up and move on, because no matter what I paid for the dipe, it is only worth what someone else will pay for it now. And as stated earlier, better to make some money than none at all on a dipe you don't use.
This is pretty much my mentality on it too. I even sold a dipe ppd and come to find out, shipping was more than I had planned and combined with pp fees, the mama got it for free and then some.

I will admit for doing alot of research before I post items FS. I do look around on these FSOT boards, take into account how long I had/used it, and what shipping/paypal fees/shipping supplies will cost. I also hit ebay pretty hard to see what the going price is on there for the items. I try to make my items comparable without losing out on money but not price it so high that there are no takers.