Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #91
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

Sarah, a thought. What if you DO give her a bunch of golf balls. Then you wouldn't have any trouble figuring out which were "hers". You're just going to have to be on top of collecting eggs, 2-3 times a day if you can manage to keep her off the other girl's eggs. This hatch would be right on time to slip her a few chicks in exchange for her golf balls in the middle of the night, kwim?

Sarah you'll be happy to know I added lacy's green egg from today to the bator for a total of six. I kinda hope they don't all hatch. But I added it just to add a buffer if some weren't fertile or quit. So I have 3 each of Carmen's and Lacy's. Should give me a bit of an idea what coloring each girl will make with my rooster. Temp/humidity stable all day today, I bumped the thermostat just a frog's hair to keep it closer to 100. It was dropping down to 98 air temp fairly often. The probe in the water wiggler was staying at 99 but I didn't want it to go too low. Humidity's been stable all day.

Poor big girls, the wind is roaring outside tonight, we have another cold storm system blowing thru. As hard as it's blowing, I decided to turn on the heat lamp and they are contentedly basking in it. It's not terribly cold outside but my coop being as open as it is, I worry that the wind will make it too drafty for comfort. I coddle them, I know.

Just for fun, here's what's in the bator, 3 from each of the girls with this rooster:

Advertisement

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 11-08-2012 at 10:10 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #92
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
One egg day. Seems that when we turn the light on, they get mean. Not enough space in their. Leave the light off, and no eggs :headbang:

New coop in the works for the spring.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #93
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Sarah, a thought. What if you DO give her a bunch of golf balls. Then you wouldn't have any trouble figuring out which were "hers". You're just going to have to be on top of collecting eggs, 2-3 times a day if you can manage to keep her off the other girl's eggs. This hatch would be right on time to slip her a few chicks in exchange for her golf balls in the middle of the night, kwim?

She's the smallest of the blk cochins. She was one of the girls not being allowed to access the feeder. Don't get me wrong, she was gaining weight since I changed the feeding routine, but she's already starting to loose weight. She's not in ideal weight to let her brood, kwim. It is a great idea, i'm just worried about her. If I put her in the other pen now she will be out in time for the chicks to go in. I can't give her chicks in the cook because they wouldn't be able to get in and out. She abandoned the other eggs when I moved her. I think there is just no other option than to try and break her. She's not even wanting to eat when I hand feed.

Sarah you'll be happy to know I added lacy's green egg from today to the bator for a total of six. I kinda hope they don't all hatch. But I added it just to add a buffer if some weren't fertile or quit. So I have 3 each of Carmen's and Lacy's. Should give me a bit of an idea what coloring each girl will make with my rooster. Temp/humidity stable all day today, I bumped the thermostat just a frog's hair to keep it closer to 100. It was dropping down to 98 air temp fairly often. The probe in the water wiggler was staying at 99 but I didn't want it to go too low. Humidity's been stable all day.

Woohoo! even odds now, lol. Now you have to resist the urge to add others when you get those great looking eggs, lol. Sounds like it's holding well. I can not wait to see the colors you get! have been trying to use the chcken color calculators, but they confuse the crud out of me, lol.

Poor big girls, the wind is roaring outside tonight, we have another cold storm system blowing thru. As hard as it's blowing, I decided to turn on the heat lamp and they are contentedly basking in it. It's not terribly cold outside but my coop being as open as it is, I worry that the wind will make it too drafty for comfort. I coddle them, I know.

Just for fun, here's what's in the bator, 3 from each of the girls with this rooster:

They are so beautifull Liz! We have nasty weather out. it's i believe 27 out right now. The wind is what's just horrible here. It funnels right through the turrain here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumstoppers View Post
One egg day. Seems that when we turn the light on, they get mean. Not enough space in their. Leave the light off, and no eggs :headbang:

New coop in the works for the spring.
Oh no Becky. Do you have the right setup for 2 lights? I had to hang 2 because there wasn't room for everyone under the one. I have perches on each side of the front of the coop. I hung them a bit back so the light shines on each perch. You may also be able to hang yours a little back so the heat shines/radiates a wider span? Just a thought. Mine were down to 2 a day without the lights.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #94
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I got the broody girl in the pen but managed to drop my basket of eggs. Serves me right for trying to save me a trip back down there. Can't believe I did that. And looks like everyone has layed for the day.

On a happier note, the rocks are starting to practice their egg song.

Does anyone know if I will be able to tell the br eggs from the cochin? They look identical in pics.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #95
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Got another egg today, that's five in one week! I'm very suprised she has done so well. I honestly did not expect to have even 3 from her in a week. Waiting on 2 more girls, they are 25ish weeks old. Hope soon. They are from a breeder so I expect they will be later in the egg laying game. Coop is still not done, but should be this weekend, I will post pictures when it is. GL Sarah and Liz on the hatches, hope they go well for you.
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #96
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Fodie. Congrats. Mine all were late layers. After 7 months old.
Keep us posted with those pics now!
Old 11-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #97
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Awesome Fodie! Can't wait to see the coop pics, I have heard wyandottes are late beginners. Still waiting on mine too. 23+ wks.

Hey sarah, have you candled your blue eggs yet? I would like to candle mine but I'm not sure I'd even be able to see thru them. Need to pick up a led flashlight tonight at home depot when dh gets home.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #98
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh got my light at walmart! it stinkin rocks!!! Just a little handheld. Kinda pricey I guess but it has this TINY bulb you can hardly see in it that's something like 5 mil or bil, whatever lumens. I HIGHLY recomend it! I can see tot he other side of the property with this thing. I did them last night and finally made out the little spider, half the egg is cloudy. So darn dark, like a dark brown egg! Cayden thought it was just so cool, the color with the light.

I feel like a real peice of %^$%^^&*&*)(!!! I heard a peeping last night from the one brooder. I looked in and saw nothing odd. I just heard it again and went to double check they hadn't run out of feed since lunch. One of the chicks leg was at it's dam* side. straight out from the knee. Dang it. It was compleatly snapped at the joint. It was really bad. I had to put it down. ahhhhhhhhhhh What the heck. They startel easy and sometimes I hear them spook and bang around. I can only ASSume that's what happened or it got it's leg caught in the feeder? Oh my gosh. It spent all night and today like that.

The stupid girls, every chicken, followed me out back and tried to watch. Dang Elly May tried to snatch her from my hands. I'm either selling her dumb butt this spring or she's dinner!

WHY would I not check every chick? I just thought they were wanting to be held again till I heard the peep, same one, again a bit ago. Almost 24 hrs like that. Oh.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #99
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Aw, I'm sorry. Accidents happen though, nothing would have changed except maybe finding her earlier. That's how Carmen's toe got broken I'm pretty sure. Spooked in their little baby coop and then flew into the wall. I didn't notice it until a couple days later when nothing could be done except let it heal as it was. Was that one of the bigger ones? Starting to need some outside time yet?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #100
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It was one of the oldest ones. I want to replace the feeders with the ones that look like the waterers. Asap.

They do need some outside time. I really have to make a little makeshift pen of sorts for them to play on nice days. Just something small. I have the leftover chicken wire I can make a little circle play area out of. I am a little worried about Daisy may. As long as they don't get close to the fence they should be fine. I don't want her taunting them though. Like little play toys. I think they will be ok? She's great with the big chickens. They should smell simular.