Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:
Re: K12.com Homeschooling?

We are looking into the K12 program. At the moment I am just piecing the curriculum together and wish we had more of a structured set up.

I like the perks, and hope it will serve us well. We are praying for our dream curriculum which is the ACE curriculum through Lighthouse Christian Academy.

Advertisement

IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #12
kjtzk
Registered Users

We just started K12 this year and I've been very happy with it. Our state is pretty easy on the number of online classes, Evidence of Learning requirements, and teacher conferences.
kjtzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
Laurelizzy
Registered Users
seller

We use K12 through CAVA as well, and so far we like it. We pulled our kids mid year from a traditional public school and I felt like I needed the extra support to transfer. We may change it up in the future, but for now the laid out plans and curriculum are saving me tons of stress on homeschooling for the first time. It is a lot of work, but well rounded not an unnecessary amount and it is self paced. So my older son that was bored in his public school classroom is now being able to take assessments and move past standards he has already mastered. I don't think it is a bad thing either that they are required to attend specific virtual classes. Which actually with our school all lessons are recorded for students who miss, so your actual attendance at a specific time is not mandatory. I prefer my children to attend the classes live though, cause I feel it does teach them about schedule and being on time and present at things they may not love. It's an important skill to learn, like for a job in the future. =)
Laurelizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #14
misscrazO
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did k-12 and I hated it. Not homeschooling at all.
misscrazO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #15
cowgirlfromwyo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I heard of this recently and have done some research. My plan is to try it next year for K and see how I like it. All of the information I have is for Colorado and Wyoming, not sure how different per state it is. I have been told in K they will be on computer very little, I will receive all materials necesary as wel as lesson plans. He will have to have dibels testing at a location to be determined, but it is free. I don't technically need to start homeschooling until the school year in which he will be 7 and since he will just be 5 in Jan, I didnt see any reason not to try it. They use handwriting without tears which I hear is phenominal!

What I don't like about it already is that it doesnt appear to have a flexible schedule as far as taking mon and tue off one week and working on weekend. Not sure how much this will bother us.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #16
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hello again everyone!

I just want to point out I don't think you can get a fair review of the cyber schools on this forum because I believe most of us are traditional homeschoolers. Many of the cybers have their own groups and they don't have an equal representation on here.

Cowgirlfromwyo, it's great you have been thinking about your choices for your DS's education. I hope K12 works out well for your family. Remember if it doesn't and you rather do it on your own you can always withdraw from the cyber.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #17
usnkbaal
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I liked the lessons and such but ended up pulling my ds out of it. For us my ds was ahead in math and when he would do extra lessons I would get calls from his "teacher" saying not to let him work ahead which annoyed me since he wanted to learn more in math. Now that he is out he has mastered most of his multiplications something he would not do until the end if he stayed. Its a great starting point you get a TON of stuff and its free. We did it last year and a few months this year but now Im ok on my own.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #18
usnkbaal
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Willow* View Post
We are looking into the K12 program. At the moment I am just piecing the curriculum together and wish we had more of a structured set up.

I like the perks, and hope it will serve us well. We are praying for our dream curriculum which is the ACE curriculum through Lighthouse Christian Academy.
We have a few ACE paces and LOVE them!
Old 12-27-2012, 01:39 AM   #19
Gaiaschild
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by R055ANA View Post
Hello again everyone!

I just want to point out I don't think you can get a fair review of the cyber schools on this forum because I believe most of us are traditional homeschoolers. Many of the cybers have their own groups and they don't have an equal representation on here.

Cowgirlfromwyo, it's great you have been thinking about your choices for your DS's education. I hope K12 works out well for your family. Remember if it doesn't and you rather do it on your own you can always withdraw from the cyber.

So far it seems the reviews overall here are positive.

Personally, I'm not a fan of cyber schools because to me there's to much of a tie in to the public school philosophy and bureaucracy that does not appeal to me. However, it has its place and does work for some families.

I don't know if this applies to k12, but some cyber schools do not let you keep non-consumable materials and do require equipment like the "free" computers to be returned at the end of a school year. Plus, if you'd like to school year round, be aware of the start and end dates of their school year. You may or may not be able to start earlier or extend them if needed.
Gaiaschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #20
missemily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We go through a cyber charter school which is the best I could find. We live in PA and it is alot more laid back than the other Cyber Charter schools (k12). None of the 'class chats' are required, and there is no time requirement. You just have to sign on once a day to be counted as 'present'. I was researching and not many states have these kinds of options available yet. Oh and our Charter has an arts center for grades 6-12 that does music and arts which many of the other ones do not have. We live about an hour from the 'campus' so we sometimes go to the activities. They also reimburse you for the internet which is nice. We get to keep the computer over the summer.