Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #21
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do your children call other adults?

Most people are either their first name, or Mr/Ms and their first name unless they introduce themselves to my kids using their last name. Abby's violin teacher is Ms Rachel, but her Sunday school teacher and a few of the older ladies at church use their last names with the kids.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 11-10-2012 at 08:14 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #22
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mr. and Mrs. Last name. A few very close friends are Mr. and Ms. First name. Yes ma'am, no sir are also expected.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #23
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

We did Mr./Miss firstname, until they are elementary age and then we moved to Mr/Mrs/Miss lastname, which is how teachers are addressed as well. So, DS1's friends from school, he calls their parents Mr and Mrs lastname. But, our neighbors he's known forever, are Mr/Miss firstname.

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #24
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
It is not common here to use mr/mrs/miss first or last name unless it is a person of authority and even then it isn't always the case.

I have worked in schools for 5 years and usually get called miss last name, even though I am a mrs. Sometimes i am miss/mrs first initial of last name. Sometimes I am just last name with no formality before it. Sometimes I am Turtle as my last name rhymes with it. Lol. Sometimes i am my first name depending on the child and his abilities. Sometimes i am xyz's mom too.

In elementary school it is more common for females to be miss rather than mrs as there is a wide variation in the schools and we have young staff that get married.

In the highschool there tends to be less formalities with the younger (under 40) staff.

As long as they are speaking to me in a respectful manner and tone I don't care what they call me.

And don't ever call me ma'am. I loathe that
Old 11-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #25
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

I think I'm going to go with Miss/Mrs/Mr First name and a few close friends uncle/aunt. I never had trouble knowing who was related to me and who wasn't when I was a kid. I liked in India everyone older than you was Uncle/Aunty, even if you were 25 and they were 45. All people in authority were Sir/Madam. I know many of our friend's kids call us by our names. I'm not offended by it but I'd prefer Mrs. Some of them surprised me cos they used to say they didn't like kids calling adults by their first names. But oh well. Hopefully I won't offend anyone to teach my kids this way, but it's important to me to teach my children manners and respect for adults. I don't think it necessary means that my children will feel they have to listen to an adult no matter what or that that adult can treat them inappropriately, just that you speak respectfully. And if they don't like something the adult is doing, they can come to me and I'll deal with it.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #26
rileykidmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kason's mommy View Post
They address adults as mr. or ms. first name.
Yeah, that. Unless it's a teacher or I specify that he or she should be called something else.

Last edited by rileykidmama; 11-11-2012 at 10:41 AM.
rileykidmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #27
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:

Miss or Mister First Name. Except at church where every adult is Auntie or Uncle
loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #28
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

first names
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #29
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

They call them by their 1st name just like we do unless the person requests to be called something else. This seems pretty normal for VT.

fwiw I really dislike being called Miss Kathlin (what they insisted I be called when I worked in daycare even after I was married). If I'm to be given a formal prefix I prefer it be used properly Mrs/Ms B***** (my last name)

Last edited by Junipervt; 11-11-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Junipervt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #30
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

We haven't really had this come up much, DS is only 2. But thus far it's Mrs. First name and my aunts/uncles are still referred to him as aunt first name. I personally think last names are too formal so unless someone requested it, I would go by first name.