Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #31
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell Me About Doulas

Doulas of North America (DONA)
Standards of practice - http://www.dona.org/aboutus/standards_birth.php
Code of ethics - http://www.dona.org/aboutus/code_of_ethics_birth.php
Certification - http://www.dona.org/develop/birth_cert.php

Childbirth and Postpartum Professional Association (CAPPA)
Labor Doula certification - http://www.cappa.net/get-certified.php?labor-doula

International Childbirth Education Association (ICEA)
Doula certification - http://www.icea.org/content/doula-certification

Birth Arts International (BAI)
Certification - http://birtharts.com/doula.htm

Childbirth International (CBI)
Certification - http://www.childbirthinternational.c...doula/main.htm
Syllabus - http://www.childbirthinternational.c...a/syllabus.htm

And there is more Some nursing colleges even offer a Doula program, as well as hospitals.

Advertisement

JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #32
ClothAngel
Registered Users
seller

Having a doula is amazing! Especially when laboring at home. She is trained to know tons of distraction techniques, recognize signs of problems, and can really help in knowing when to go into the birth center or hospital. She knows what you want in your birth plan and can stand up for that when medical staff is unsupportive. But what we loved most about having a doula was it allowed my husband to focus on me while she timed contractions and kept track of things. It was also nice having an extra set of hands for positioning and even for phone calls. Another great thing about an actual doula vs a family member is they are often allowed to go into the operating room with mom during a c-sect and can offer huge support for mom before dad is allowed to enter. They are not meant to read strips or watch monitors but to help mom and dad through the labor process!
ClothAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #33
melilo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is true that there are many different ways in which doulas practice. There are also lots of doctors, midwives, and such that also practice very differently from each other even in the same field. And yes, some have better methods than others. That is why it is important to choose your care providers carefully.

I think it is very important to clarify the difference between speaking about options and medical advice. Medical advice gives an opinion. Simply telling a mom what her choices are and offering no opinion is not medical advice. It simply means you are well versed in many facets of labor and birth. If you can read, you can learn what birth options are available. Anyone can do that.

That said, many doulas do give opinions, and that is not proper, at least as far as DONA is concerned, because that does border on medical advice which is out of our scope of practice.

I am very proud to be a DONA doula, and it sucks that some women give doulas a bad name. But, I work hard to keep up my reputation and that of DONA and doulas in general. I'm sure I will see a lot of doctors and midwives and nurses that I don't think practice in an evidence-based manner, and whom I don't agree with or get along with, but I will keep it to myself as I attempt to remain professional in all aspects of my job.

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula

Last edited by melilo; 11-16-2012 at 05:55 PM.
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #34
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My doula does not offer medical advice. She does offer physical and mental support which is invaluable! She provides counter pressure, yes (wonderful!). It's nice to have someone switch out with hubby. Hands get sore! She is adept at reading laboring women- she knew I was getting pushy before I did. She offers options I would never think of (or might not think of while in labor). She is a strong support for my husband. He requested that we have one again with our second, even before I did because he is free to help me and my doula helps suggest things and gives him things to do. With her there, he feels more comfortable. She is there to help explain the pros and cons of procedures that might be needed and an extra voice to reiterate and explain what the nurses might tell me. I've had very supportive nurses ALWAYS. They work really well with my doula. Oh! With my first, when I was feeling pushy, my doula requested the nurse check me (I wanted this). The nurse didn't want to- I'd only been there about 1.5 hours. I labored a long time at home. I was a 4 when I checked in. The nurse didn't really think I'd be making any good progress (not there long and a first-time mom). The doula was able to tell her she was seeing X,Y, and Z from me and reiterated that I had requested it. The nurse consented. I was a 7(and 8 during contractions).
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #35
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
I wasn't bashing Ohio. Ohio is a lovely state, I have friends and family there, and we had thought about moving there before. I was simply saying they aren't the friendliest of places to birth at.

Yes your view is going to be different because you work with sick people. I work with, mainly, healthy moms. While *I* am a more crunchy person, I am not a crunchy birth professional. And I think that is what people who don't understand doulas or midwives think, that our work is crunchy, but it's really not. All of the certifications (and I do have a medical background from college) are comprehensive so I can work in any setting with any type mom. Homebirth, hospital, unmedicated, epidural, and even with c-section moms. I think if Doulas are as bad as some think they are then hospitals wouldn't allow them nor employ them. Some hospitals don't, but its few and far between.
In the instance of my assuring the nurse that my client was in labor, JenntheMomma is correct; it was for reassurance for my client and I said it with a smile on my face. My job as a doula is to be reassuring and helpful. I understand why some doulas wouldn't say anything like that in the same situation, but when a woman has been dealing with contractions for 5 hours, comes to the hospital, and a nurse tells her half a dozen times that she's probably not in labor....I felt like saying something reassuring was more likely to help her relax and labor to progress than keeping silent. I didn't say anything about the mom needing to be checked; it's common to check at this hospital and the mother knew that. I just reassured the mom that she was in labor so that she wouldn't be worry about being sent home, as the nurse was suggesting (without any information).
And if a nurse says that mom must submit to something that the mom has stated (like on a birth plan), but it's just a normal labor with no issues, darn right I will tell mom when the nurse leaves that it's her right to refuse if that's what she wants, but I will support her in whatever decision she makes. It would be great if doulas didn't have to worry about this, or if mothers could trust that everything the hospital staff wanted to do was in her best interest, but it's just not the world that we live in, and it's not the hospital that I usually attend births at.
Sorry if that makes doulas look bad to you, but I make no apologies for supporting a mom in her wishes even if it's not always what the staff wants for her.