Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:42 AM   #11
AmeliasMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hospital delivery w/3 Littles and no extended Family?

We are over an hour out from my Hospital, and my OB really wants to induce me early because I have had such quick labors. My Children will NOT go anywhere near strangers, I mean they don't see anyone for more than a few minutes at a time since we are so rural, and to my knowledge, the nearest Doula is like 3 hours away. The upside is, I do not WANT anyone near me when I am in labor. DH checks on me when we have our homebirths, but I totally zone out. No talking to me, NO touching me AT ALL. Sort of like a stray cat, LOL. So I am starting to think I am worrying over nothing. If DH can watch them in the waiting room, and be called in when I am crowning or close, it will probably work out. I tend to overthink things, and get all my worst case scenerios mapped out in advance. Deep breaths...

Advertisement

AmeliasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry, I hope you can atleast get a tour so you have an idea. My parents are 1.5 hours away, and only about 45 minutes from the hospital(it's between us) so we can meet them there with our LO's. We have friends locally but none that are SAHMs and I'd hate to add 2 kids to their load. Especially since DSDs Mom takes her Wednesday and Thursday nights, I guess we'll have to figure something out there. She drops her off at 5am at our house and picks her up at 530pm those days, I'd hate to do that to a sitter.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Contact local churches for people who
Might be able to watch kids. Preferably someone with very flexible time. Churches love love love to help people! Meet them ahead of time!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
4dramamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliasMum View Post
We are over an hour out from my Hospital, and my OB really wants to induce me early because I have had such quick labors. My Children will NOT go anywhere near strangers, I mean they don't see anyone for more than a few minutes at a time since we are so rural, and to my knowledge, the nearest Doula is like 3 hours away. The upside is, I do not WANT anyone near me when I am in labor. DH checks on me when we have our homebirths, but I totally zone out. No talking to me, NO touching me AT ALL. Sort of like a stray cat, LOL. So I am starting to think I am worrying over nothing. If DH can watch them in the waiting room, and be called in when I am crowning or close, it will probably work out. I tend to overthink things, and get all my worst case scenerios mapped out in advance. Deep breaths...
I am totally the same way in labor. My husband plays guitar and sings to me on command...but when things get serious...no touching, no talking, no chatting or laughing. I was almost in this exact situation two labors ago. But I was in a birth center and my children would have been left in an adjoining family room all by themselves. Reading your plan above, I am thinking, "Where will the children be when DH comes in during crowning/pushing?" You don't have to tell me, obviously. Just a thought in my lil ol' head.
Beth, Christian mama of 5 (expecting #6 Spring 2013).
Check out my blog Heart Stirred with Wisdom
4dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #15
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
That's the thing. Statistically, most women go into labor at night. I can't imagine waking the 2yo to haul her off to the hospital.

That being said, if you're within 15 minutes of your hospital, by the time you're ready for that, it might be morning.

We have an hour drive and were recommended to labor in a hotel room instead of waiting until contractions were hard to drive.

Little details like that can make a difference.

I had both my girls at 5pm; I went into labor with the first the evening before, and with the second at 1pm. With my last, labor started half way to my midwife's house so I ended up laboring for 1.5 hours in the car, and it wasn't fun.

This time, I might be 15 minutes from the hospital (Friday and Saturday) or 1.5 hours from the hospital (Sunday-Thursday). We decided we are going to take the girls with us no matter what time of day it is; I just wouldn't feel comfortable leaving them with someone else unless for some reason my mom happens to be out here when baby is born. I don't need DH in the room with me while I'm in labor; I just want him to be there to see the birth, and he could bring the girls in with him as well.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #16
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliasMum View Post
I'm the same way! Stay away from me while I'm in labor.

I think it will work out just fine. My DH will stay in the waiting room with them or have them come in the room for a bit while I'm in labor, and then they will come in when baby is coming.

I've stressed out over this same scenario, and I think we both need to just take deep breaths...it will work out!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #17
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a hard time thinking ahead to spring and a possible healthy birth.
But I am glad that when I do start to actually think about it and figure things out, there isn't going to be much to figure out! DH's parents are in town - I guess we would need to decide whether we'll take the kids to their house or they'll come out here first. But that's about it.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote