Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
SevenFinns
Registered Users
Formerly: rebshields
seller

schools in S Maine and coastal NH?

We're moving to NH or S. Maine in the summer, and I'm starting to look around at preschools (and public elementary schools for older one) to help us settle on a town. My husband will be working at Naval Shipyard Portsmouth.

We currently have our older son at a nature/outdoor preschool in Austin, and we absolutely LOVE it. We tried a Montessori school before, but it just wasn't a good fit for our family. Does anyone know of any schools that incorporate a lot of outdoor time (not outdoor playground; outdoor hiking) and/or follow the Reggio Emilia method in NH/ME?

We're currently considering York, ME because we have heard wonderful things about the elementary schools there, but I don't know what preschools would be close enough. Any advice on public elementary schools in Southern ME and coastal NH would also be welcome!

Advertisement

SevenFinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: schools in S Maine and coastal NH?

I'm not sure about outdoor/Reggio Emilia method but York is a beautiful area and so is Exeter where the Academy is and their public school for the most part is ranked high in the state. Another area to look into and not far from Portsmouth is Durham/Madbury that's also known for very good education. Both locations would be convenient by travel having access to major highways closeby.

Not to mention York has Karen @ Sweet Cheeks Diaper Company and of course my wife runs Petite Bottoms in Newmarket Either way you'll be in a great location for cloth diaper shopping too!

Last edited by PBAki; 10-08-2012 at 07:11 AM.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
gingersnappy
Registered Users
seller

Can't comment on Maine schools or Reggio method. I grew up in Durham, NH and went to the Oyster River school system for elementary, middle and 2 years of high school. Am now in northern NH, but me & hubby want to move back to Durham in the next 5+ years b/c we're having a baby in Dec & schools are better. You will be by the ocean & only about 1.5 hr from skiing/hiking the White mountains in North NH (where I live) so there are lot of outdoor things to do. Outdoor/conservation groups and clubs are strong in NH. AMC (Appalachian Mountain Club) has family oriented programs. Maybe you can supplement?? Oyster River school system is one of the better public school systems in the state (Durham/Lee/Madbury)... Due to UNH (university of NH) being in Durham, maybe? If you prefer traditional private school, Berwick Academy is close by in Berwick, ME, but is BIG bucks. This is nothing to do with edu, but keep in mind NH has no sales or income tax, but high property taxes.
gingersnappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:34 AM   #4
Inthekitchen
Registered Users

My Mood:
Also moved to S Maine recently..with a baby girl I'm also interested. I know there is a Waldorf school in Freeport. But the cost is up there as well.
Inthekitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
SevenFinns
Registered Users
Formerly: rebshields
seller

Just keeping this alive for anyone who has additional input. Thank you for the advice so far! I have heard a lot of love for York. We are definitely not in the market for a private school unless we run into a district we are uncomfortable with. Since we get to pick the area (based on schools), we should be happy! Supplementing our older child's public school education is a great idea. We've been considering that too.

We really want to make sure that we find a preschool that we like for our younger son since he'll be in it for three years (September birthday).
SevenFinns is offline   Reply With Quote