Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

Question Placenta: "Low lying," but not previa?

So today I had my 22wk checkup which included the a/s. After the scan was complete I went to the waiting room to wait for them to call my back for my appointment with the midwife. Instead the ultrasound tech came out & told me she needed me to come back again. She explained that she reported I had "partial previa" so the doctor wanted her to do a quick transvaginal scan to get a better idea of where my placenta is.

We did the scan, back to the waiting room I went, and I was finally called back for my check up. I ended up seeing the doctor because unfortunately my midwife was away delivering a baby and wasn't expected to be back anytime soon.

So the doctor quickly explained to me that my placenta was "low," near the edge of my cervix.... however it is not covering any part of my cervix (thus it is not placenta previa) like the ultrasound tech originally reported. She said "no need to worry" and rushed me out the door. I had other questions I needed to discuss but I felt so rushed and flustered because it was obvious she had other places to be. I've never left feeling that way as my midwife is always very attentive and takes her time during my visits.

Anyhow, I just wanted to see if anyone has had this same experience? Were you reported as having a "low" placenta that did NOT cover the placenta, and did everything turn out ok? I guess I'm a little concerned and wondering if it's possible for the placenta to move down like they sometimes move up, does that make sense? I'm TERRIFIED of a c-section for a handful of reasons so this has got me just a LITTLE wigged. If anything, it should move up as my uterus grows, and not down, right?

I go back in 4 weeks for my 26wk checkup and they are going to do another u/s to check babies kidneys because she was in an akward position today so they weren't able to get a good view of them, and I suspect they will probably check the placenta out then, as well.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Really disappointed in how todays appt went and bummed I didn't get to see my midwife. :/

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
loving my family
Registered Users

Re: Placenta: "Low lying," but not previa?

With my last pregnancy I had this just like yours, & as your uterus grows the placenta can go up with it. Think of a balloon and sticking gum or something in it (right next to the opening on the inside) and as you fill it with air the gum rise's up with it. Granted it won't go that far up but it should move up some since it is right next to the opening. Sorry for the weird analogy but I couldn't think how else to describe it.
loving my family is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

The analogy was great! Thank you for sharing your experience, I definitely appreciate it!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
Steph Ed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My placenta was low (discovered during 18w us) and when the follow-up us was done it had moved up....no c-section needed! DON'T let this bother you. 1) It is what it is...you will end up with a beautiful baby regardless of how she is brought into the world. 2) Statistics are on your side. Most of the time this corrects itself.

BTW, I will be 28 weeks Friday.
Steph Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Chances are very good that it will move up
Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

You ladies are awesome. In just 30 minutes ya'll have made up for where the doctor seriously lacked, LOL.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
loving my family
Registered Users

I was terrified too when I was told but my OB. rocks he told me what to expect. I am sorry that the one you saw didn't explain anything to you. It is rude not to take the time and answer questions it is part of there job after all....Ya know help pregnant women not go bonkers cause everyone knows we will go google it and that will send our stress levels through the roof. lol.
loving my family is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
jenbengtson
Registered Users

My Mood:

mine is low too, i am hopping we know more next week when i go in....it was a quick US at 16 wks, and it was hey your placenta is in the front and low.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I had the same experience as far as the ultrasound. I had one at 19 weeks where I was told it could be partial previa and they scheduled me in for another ultrasound 4 weeks later and it had already moved up enough in that short period of time to no longer be a concern. I don't know if this is the case for you, but apparently it's incredibly common for moms who've had sections. I went on to have a VBAC after that with no issues from the position of the placenta.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote