Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
raisingthem4Him
Registered Users
seller

Re: Officially diagnosed with Hyperemesis :(

Here's an article to ponder. I have known women that this has worked for, and another who said it didn't do a thing. Might be worth a try though! http://www.karenhurd.com/pages/healt...gsickness.html

Advertisement

raisingthem4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #12
ingrid5699
Registered Users

Check out the forums at www.hyperemesis.org They are awesome! And the website itself has TONS of info including referrals for Drs who know what they are doing in a hyperemesis pregnancy.

I'm on hyperemesis pregnancy #3 (#4 if you count my first loss when I had it too) and yes it sucks!!!! It's an awful disease and takes the joy out of pregnancy.

And I disagree that 10lbs is not awful. It depends on your pre-pregnancy weight. Check out this link as it has a weight loss calculator down the site: http://www.helpher.org/mothers/hyper...ness/index.php
Yes some weight loss might be normal in a person who DOES not have vomiting/nausea interfering with food/hydration but in someone who is literally puking their guts out it is very much a problem. And sorry to you fluffy girls but this is something people who have never had a HG pregnancy just don't get!!!!
Ingrid, Mommy to Patrick 12'06 and Aurelia 12'08, Mommy to 6 angel babies-triplets 11'04, baby B 5'06 and our last little angel 2'12, chemical pregnancy 6'12, hoping our rainbow baby will join us in May 2013

Last edited by ingrid5699; 11-12-2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: spelling
ingrid5699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingrid5699 View Post
Check out the forums at www.hyperemesis.org They are awesome! And the website itself has TONS of info including referrals for Drs who know what they are doing in a hyperemesis pregnancy.

I'm on hyperemesis pregnancy #3 (#4 if you count my first loss when I had it too) and yes it sucks!!!! It's an awful disease and takes the joy out of pregnancy.

And I disagree that 10lbs is not awful. It depends on your pre-pregnancy weight. Check out this link as it has a weight loss calculator down the site: http://www.helpher.org/mothers/hyper...ness/index.php
Yes some weight loss might be normal in a person who DOES not have vomiting/nausea interfering with food/hydration but in someone who is literally puking their guts out it is very much a problem. And sorry to you fluffy girls but this is something people who have never had a HG pregnancy just don't get!!!!
OMG yes! It is really not so much about the weight loss as it is about the fact that you can't keep anything down and are dehydrated and literally starving because of it. As if the vomitting and constant nausea don't interrupt your life enough, the headaches and dizziness from being dehydrated make it even more unbearable. Not to mention the fact that you are like soooo hungry 24/7 because food won't stay in your stomache ten minutes before you're ralphing it back up And after a while you get this fear of eating because you know it will make the barfing worse but you have to anyways obviously and it just sucks. I have found that gold fish crackers and arbys sandwiches are at least better tolerated than other things so I have been living off of that for a bit now. You know what is the hardest thing to keep down though? Anything liquid. Water, tea, soda...you name it and it sloshes around in my stomache and comes back up faster than you can blink. My husband told me to try pedialyte popsicles and I am going to pick some up after work today. I'm hoping they work better but we will see. Being admitted to the hospital with a tube shoved down my nose is like my biggest fear at this point (well, actually it would be losing my baby but aside from that...). The day before yesterday I actually had quite a good day though! I was sick in the morning and then I was able to go all day without throwing up until right before bed! Also, I weighed myself yesterday and I gained a pound! I know that could be like water weight or whatever but still It gives me hope Yesterday was not a good day at all and today isn't shaping up to be either but that one good day still gives me hope that this will taper off
Old 11-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #14
ingrid5699
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwiamandaiwi View Post
OMG yes! It is really not so much about the weight loss as it is about the fact that you can't keep anything down and are dehydrated and literally starving because of it. As if the vomitting and constant nausea don't interrupt your life enough, the headaches and dizziness from being dehydrated make it even more unbearable. Not to mention the fact that you are like soooo hungry 24/7 because food won't stay in your stomache ten minutes before you're ralphing it back up And after a while you get this fear of eating because you know it will make the barfing worse but you have to anyways obviously and it just sucks. I have found that gold fish crackers and arbys sandwiches are at least better tolerated than other things so I have been living off of that for a bit now. You know what is the hardest thing to keep down though? Anything liquid. Water, tea, soda...you name it and it sloshes around in my stomache and comes back up faster than you can blink. My husband told me to try pedialyte popsicles and I am going to pick some up after work today. I'm hoping they work better but we will see. Being admitted to the hospital with a tube shoved down my nose is like my biggest fear at this point (well, actually it would be losing my baby but aside from that...). The day before yesterday I actually had quite a good day though! I was sick in the morning and then I was able to go all day without throwing up until right before bed! Also, I weighed myself yesterday and I gained a pound! I know that could be like water weight or whatever but still It gives me hope Yesterday was not a good day at all and today isn't shaping up to be either but that one good day still gives me hope that this will taper off
Gaining back water weight is still good. And if you read on the hyperemesis forums you'll see that pretty much all of us struggle more with liquids (there is separate forum for food/drink to not trigger those who get sick by even the mentioning). Some good foods to eat are watermelons or other melons but those are not in season here and the ones that are available are expensive and taste gross. I lived on watermelons during my first trimesters with my other 2 (first trimesters were May/June then). What you can try is freezing stuff-shaved ice works for some people. And sipping ice cold coke. Yes the soda is not good for baby but it's definitely worse to be dehydrated and some days that is the only liquid that stays down.
Totally KWYM on the starving too. OMG I get sooooo hungry, then I eat and toss it all and just cry.

Good days are wonderful. Hope this passes soon for both of us.
Ingrid, Mommy to Patrick 12'06 and Aurelia 12'08, Mommy to 6 angel babies-triplets 11'04, baby B 5'06 and our last little angel 2'12, chemical pregnancy 6'12, hoping our rainbow baby will join us in May 2013
ingrid5699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #15
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingrid5699 View Post
Gaining back water weight is still good. And if you read on the hyperemesis forums you'll see that pretty much all of us struggle more with liquids (there is separate forum for food/drink to not trigger those who get sick by even the mentioning). Some good foods to eat are watermelons or other melons but those are not in season here and the ones that are available are expensive and taste gross. I lived on watermelons during my first trimesters with my other 2 (first trimesters were May/June then). What you can try is freezing stuff-shaved ice works for some people. And sipping ice cold coke. Yes the soda is not good for baby but it's definitely worse to be dehydrated and some days that is the only liquid that stays down.
Totally KWYM on the starving too. OMG I get sooooo hungry, then I eat and toss it all and just cry.

Good days are wonderful. Hope this passes soon for both of us.
me too I definitely have to go check out that forum!
Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #16
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with trying something frozen. I have better luck with ice chips than anything else when I'm at my worst. Be warned though, they are incredibly unsatisfying. I also agree not to worry about what you drink, I went for a month or more drinking nothing but lemonade and orange soda and not much of those either.

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #17
Ixchel
Registered Users

Get down what you can when you can! & it sounds like (if you haven't already) find a new care provider. my first didn't really believe me & i just suffered in silence from her in the pregnancy because if I brought it up she just dismissed me as having normal morning sickness/aches/pains & made me feel like crap that I was suffering so much & she thought I was just stretching the truth (& for what? i haven't a clue, she didn't give me support or any sort of care for it!). I love my midwife, she's tried to find tips & tricks to help me through it (though none of it has worked), she BELIEVED me, she's understanding & fine when I can't do a test because I threw up my meal or lost more weight or my iron levels are going crappy. I hope I can get my levels up soon tho or I think she has to drop me from a homebirth option if they are under a certain point

Last edited by Ixchel; 01-07-2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: can't not can...
Ixchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #18
mommy2babybean
Registered Users
seller

Oh I hope everything is getting better for you I was diagnosed with hyperemesis too and spent way too much time in and out of the hospital, having home nurse visits etc... Still recovering and on bed rest now. It is definitely not fun but I hope you found a new and supportive doctor. I don't know what I would do if it wasn't for my doctor. There are a lot of people who don't believe hyperemesis is a real diagnosis and would tell me to "suck it up". That is a little hard to do when you are puking all the time, losing weight and passing out on a daily basis. Hope all is well and getting better!
mommy2babybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

*hugs* to you all HG mammas!! I had hg with my first 2 pregnancies and had no support at all. I think support is so important, more than anything. Hang in there!