Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
IndoorKitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: A note from your child's teacher...

Not cool. And I have had it happen before. I keep the ringer off on the landline, and it doesn't have an answering machine. Only people with my cell are friends, family, and parents with whom I have a specific relationship (Advanced theatre, on a board/committee together, etc.). Everyone knows to call my cell or text and I'll call them back on the landline to save minutes.

It comes down to this: most people wouldn't save or look up the home phone number of their physician and call about their kid's wierd rash. They'd wait till tomorrow and call the office. It's the same thing.

Advertisement

The remodel isn't going well.

Last edited by IndoorKitty; 11-13-2012 at 07:22 PM.
IndoorKitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Rule of thumb...unless a teacher specifically tells you you can call her at home, it is assumed to email or leave messages on her work voicemail. I do check my email in the evenings, but that is my choice, and definitely not while I am practicing violin with my daughter.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #13
JamieJLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh man, if someone calls me I usually save their number as my contact in my phone. I have no idea whose numbers are work, home, or cell. And my phone just shows the contact's name as it dials - not the number - so I wouldn't even be tipped off my area code! I'll have to be careful about calling people back.

OP, sorry that parent messed up your evening with her call. I hope you explained to her that she was calling your personal home number and could she please be sure to use your work number or email in the future.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #14
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

ok, I'm super embarassed now. I called my dd's teacher at home the other night to talk about something with a book order coupon. But she DID give out her number in the beginning of the year and said it was okay to call. I'm second guessing myself now.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #15
ralenth
Registered Users

I would never call a teacher at home, whether she gave me her number or not (and I am pretty sure I have a couple of home numbers). I would (and have emailed over the weekend), or called first thing the next morning, but never at home.
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #16
ayer79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
This is the reason I never gave my number out or called from anywhere but the school. I feel that my time at home is my time for my own kids. I feel it crosses the line. You wouldn't call your doctor at home unless it were a serious emergency. The same applies to teachers. As much as we love our students, our families deserve our time when we're home. Unless the teacher gives you her home number with instructions to call, you shouldn't be doing it.

OP- sorry this happened. Maybe keep note of her number and just let it go to voice mail. Then you can reply the following morning, at school.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
MomToMyMonkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am a preschool director and I give out my cell phone number to all enrolled families. I specifically ask parents to ONLY use my cell phone in case of emergency, but "emergency" means different things to different people. I've had parents call to report illnesses so I can alert other parents (that was a truly needed phone call), but then I've also had parents call to ask bizarre questions that easily could have been answered by the front office staff or waited until the next day.

All in all I don't mind the phone calls and the parents feel much more comfortable with my school knowing they can get ahold of me if needed. My DH hates it and thinks I make myself way TOO available to the parents, but it really doesn't bother me at all.

The only thing that really irked me was when I got a phone call at 8:30 at night and I was in the bathroom so I didn't answer. The caller didn't leave a message, and then the next day I got an earful from a parent who was LIVID that I hadn't answered my phone and hadn't called the number back (even though they hadn't left a message). Turns out she had a concern that she wanted to discuss (nothing serious) and was just mad that I wasn't immediately available. Seriously?! She ended up pulling her kid out of my school because I was "unavailable to parents". Uh, huh....
MomToMyMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #18
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I honestly don't see the issue. You called from that number (if you don't want people to have it you should block it) what if 730 was the only time she could call? What if she doesn't have email? 730 is a reasonable time IMHO...between dinner and bedtime.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #19
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

We get calls from parents on DH's cell phone (we don't have a home phone) at night or on the weekend for minor things, and it doesn't bother us at all. Most of the parents have his number. But we teach in a very small school and I guess it's just a different culture.

Last edited by rverrone11; 11-13-2012 at 10:12 PM.
rverrone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #20
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't call a teacher at home unless they specifically gave permission or it was something extremely serious that really couldn't wait. I would extend the same courtesy to anyone with whom I had a professional relationship. Really there are generally very few things that can't wait. I guess since I work in a similar capacity I may see it differently. Teachers should have private lives, and shouldn't have to be available 24/7. I also feel differently than some about caller ID. Just because it shows up on my caller ID doesn't mean I'll call it. My mom called someone back about work from my landline because her cell was dead. He called my house 3 times in the next 2 days looking for her. So annoying. Maybe I'm weird that way
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote