Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #21
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimon
It's related to pregnancy but it really annoys me when a pregnant woman complain about something regarding her pregnancy (anything) and someone gets on her case about being greatful fo rthe miracle because so many women cannot get pregnant and would love to be in her shoes.

I get that. It's a horrible thing that wonderful people can have difficulty with TTC but that doesn't mean you have to enjoy every single moment of pregnancy. Pregnancy can be really really tough, and even if you are thankful to be pregnant and not want to change it for the world, there are bad moments. And it's perfectly ok not to be happy 100% of the time.
Omg. This. Just because I am complaining about throwing up constantly doesn't mean I'm not happy for the baby. It just means I am sick of throwing up so much it hurts!

Advertisement

Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #22
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimon
It's related to pregnancy but it really annoys me when a pregnant woman complain about something regarding her pregnancy (anything) and someone gets on her case about being greatful fo rthe miracle because so many women cannot get pregnant and would love to be in her shoes.

I get that. It's a horrible thing that wonderful people can have difficulty with TTC but that doesn't mean you have to enjoy every single moment of pregnancy. Pregnancy can be really really tough, and even if you are thankful to be pregnant and not want to change it for the world, there are bad moments. And it's perfectly ok not to be happy 100% of the time.
Lol my dh always says well you were the one who wanted another baby. Every flipping time I complain about anything it makes me want to kick him in the nuts everytime.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #23
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett's mommy

Lol my dh always says well you were the one who wanted another baby. Every flipping time I complain about anything it makes me want to kick him in the nuts everytime.
Sounds like my dh. Every time we have a bad day, "you wanted to sah!"
Old 11-14-2012, 06:21 AM   #24
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Re: Your least favorite cliche said to parents?

I'm guilty of saying a lot of these things (It'll get better, this too shall pass, enjoy every minute it flies by, etc etc etc)... They are cliche' because they are often so true....BUT... that doesn't stop me from hating to be TOLD some things myself ;-)

The one I hate most is the "when are you having another" line. First it was "aren't you ever having kids??" and then I'd barely popped him out when people were bugging me about providing a sibling. Since when is my procreation anyone else's business, anyway??? If you want to work an extra job to feed an extra mouth in my family or ensure that I can stay home from work to take care of 2 kids instead of working full time with 2 kids in daycare then Sure, I'll consider it. Until then, shut up and mind your own business!!!

I HATE people telling me he "needs" a sibling to keep him company so he'll have someone to play with. And that a sibling will keep him from wanting ME to play with him constantly. UH. I'm willing to be that won't be the case for at LEAST the first 2 years, and during THAT time I'll have not one but TWO kids clambering for my constant attention and getting underfoot. I'm not saying I'll never want another but good grief, I don't plan to have another to make someone else happy!!

Off my soapbox ...

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #25
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

several of my least favorites have been mentioned here;

"you think THIS is bad, just wait for ______" - i know thank you. my life will only suck more in the future. i appreciate you handing me that shining ray of hope.

"sheesh. it's just one little baby. you think ONE baby is hard...imagine if you had more! someday you'll look back and wonder what you did with all your time when you ONLY had one" - this was my mom's favorite when ds was a baby. also a terrible baby, cried all the time, hated sleep. dh and i were zombies. looking back, i was seriously depressed and needed help. bad. but this was what i got. i don't think i had ppd in the "usual" sense. but it's hard not to be depressed when instead of sleeping, you're just listening to a screaming baby all the time. i never experienced any similar feelings with dd. but of course, she slept. and didn't cry every.single.second of the day. i feel for a lot of you with difficult babies.

we were pretty sure ds was going to be an only too for a long time. we just couldn't face it again. i spent the entire pregnancy with dd gearing myself up for the horror. her newborn days still weren't awesome, but they were livable. i know it's cliche, and doesn't really help while you're in the thick of it, but i DO often tell people who have difficult babies "it gets better" because really, that's what i felt i needed to hear when ds was a baby. and he DID get better. he is a delightful toddler and preschooler, although still high strung, and he still gets up more at night than my 5 month old. i dunno, i guess i hope telling those people about how i know how it is, and i was there too, but now things are better and i feel human again might help them just get through another day i try not to be condescending about it though. i hated that.

one last one, and this is a pregnancy one:

"you think you're tired NOW, just wait until you have a baby waking you up all night long! you should sleep while you can" - thanks. awesome. truth is, even with the colicky, screaming, non-sleeping newborn i got the first time around, i STILL felt more energized than i did while pregnant. puking for 9 months tires me out. what can i say. i hate being pregnant. it sucks. also, the majority of people who told me this were men. no doubt, they were better rested before the baby was born. it was their poor wives who were laying awake with insomnia and waking up to either pee or puke during the night. i'll continue to look forward to the end of pregnancy. thanks. it's not actually the difficult child that makes me not want more. i just really don't ever feel like being pregnant again. ever.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #26
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

My mom frequently says "HAHAHA! And just wait, pretty soon you'll have THREE in school! Think your busy now?!!!? BAHAHAHA!!!"

..she hates that we homeschool. And I shouldn't ever act stressed out around her, b/c this is her response.

She also likes to remind me, "You play, you pay!" because we have *FOUR* kids (well, one still growing in utero) and apparently that was a mistake in her eyes, or is way too many kids or something...
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #27
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

I hate the "just wait" too.

First it was "just wait until he's born"
Then "just wait until he starts walking"
Then "just wait until the terrible twos"
Now "threes are always worse than twos"
And the big "wait until he's a teenager and you all hate each other"
And finally "wait until he marries someone you can't stand"

Awesome. Thanks.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #28
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I get the "just wait" line as well.....

Which is super stupid. I have 7 kids, I have kids in each area of development...out side of an adult child, I think I know what is coming next.

Ad of course "you sure do have your hands full" is another line I despise. Oh really, I do?! Thanks for pointing that out, I didnt realize that I had a lot of kids!
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #29
Friesjm
Registered Users

My Mood:

Here is a good one (a pregnancy one).... I am almost 38 weeks pregnant with my first and planning on having a natural birth (if possible). My mother, who had an epidural for all three kids, keeps telling me... "Oh you think you are going to go all natural, just you wait!" or "I am going to be so worried for you when you go into labor!" or "It hurts so much" or "Labor is called labor for a reason, you are going to want that epidural" etc.... etc...

Like no crap... I know it is going to hurt. Telling me that over and over really helps me sleep at night.

sheesh!
Friesjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #30
irishdancemomma
Registered Users

I have an 11 month only child at the moment and I think I have heard every one of these comments aside from the ones having to do with having many children. Every one of these comments gets on my nerves. I have a hard time controlling my temper when I am stressed so many a person has been snapped at for making such stupid comments.

I think my least favorite ones are the ones that insinuate that your child will be a terror as a teen because I know that how your child behaves as a teenager has a lot to do with how they are raised so I suppose I take it as an insult. I also hated the "You're gonna want an epidural!" comments from my mother in law and from friends who have never given birth. However, I think those comments are a lot of what made me want to follow through with my natural labor and delivery. After 27 hours of labor I was pretty tired and ready to just get him out of me, but I couldn't let those nay sayers be right. Lol!
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote