Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
MandyLee
Registered Users
seller

baby won't sleep

My DD will be 12 weeks tomorrow and has suddenly decided that she isn't going to sleep in her crib. She has been a great sleeper from day 1, but now she will only sleep when I'm holding her. I will rock/nurse her to sleep or until really drowsy and then put her in the crib. She'll sleep 30 mins. or less and then wake up crying. This goes on all night long, and for naps too.
Last week we were at the beach and I let her sleep with me...maybe she's having trouble moving back to the crib?? Our bed is too small to co-sleep. My DH hates it when she's in our bed. He can't sleep at all and he has to get up and work in the morning.
She's not sick. Nothing has changed other than the beach thing. What should I do? I can't stand listening to her cry, but I'm exhausted! I tried letting her fuss a few mins. and then going in to reassure her every few mins. but she just gets really upset, and I definitely don't want to let her "cry it out".
TIA

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
mamoo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: baby won't sleep

It sounds to me like your little one is getting more awareness and notices when you are not by her so she wakes up. If it were me I would take the cue and move baby to bed with me. Maybe if you look up some of the benefits to co-sleeping and present them to your husband he would have a change of heart? JMHO. I hope you find something that works for your family and start getting some sleep.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
MandyLee
Registered Users
seller

I was thinking about it...it's just really "squishy" in bed with all of us. Maybe something I just need to get used to
Old 08-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
sbolen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi! Co-sleeping doesn't work with us so we had to get LO to sleep in a crib as well. She used to only want to sleep with me in our glider all night.

Here's some things we did.
Do you swaddle her? My LO sleeps better if I swaddle.
Also, I put one of my milk stained dirty t-shirts in the corner of her crib so my smell is there.
I've also found a pacifier does wonders (don't know if you are against that or not, but it worked for us).
Finally, we have "daddy" time before bedtime. He gives her a bath, gives her a bottle of expressed milk, and then I top her off with the boob (but by that time she's just about passed out).

Not sure if any of these will help but good luck.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #5
MandyLee
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the advice! We had a much better night last night . I moved her bassinet right next to my bed so I could touch her (rub her back, etc.) if she got upset in the middle of the night. I love the idea of putting one of my shirts in with her. I think I'm going to try that one. We use the paci., and she loves it. The only problem is when it falls out she's screaming for it, so I up having to get out of bed a hundred times just to put it back in .
Our babies are only 2 days apart
Old 08-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I have the very same problem here... only issue is my "baby" is 19 mos LOL

GL mamma! Hope you find a solution. My best solution has been to sneak into bed w/DS. We can co-sleep on our bed but DS likes to play w/DH so I usually just go into bed & lay w/DS once he starts the waking. It's usually easiest that way. Maybe give that a try if you have a spot you can sleep w/DC? Or perhaps DH can be on couch duty & you can nab the bed w/DC?
Old 08-13-2007, 09:21 AM   #7
sbolen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, we are pretty lucky with the paci. She's to the point now that she spits it out when she falls asleep and she doesn't wake all that often....but it took a long time.

Now we are working on daytime naps HOwever, I bought a sleep machine for only $20 and that seems to help. The sound of the waves tends to put her out pretty well

Good luck, and whatever routine you choose, be consistent! That's what I found works the best!

We are two days apart! We're coming up on the three month mark!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #8
MandyLee
Registered Users
seller

Where did you get the sleep machine?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:05 AM   #9
sbolen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At Babies R Us. They had a couple of them. I bought the one with different sounds, but I really only use the waves option. It was only like $20 I think. I don't have to use it at night anymore, but we use it for naps. I turn it way up.